PPI for car sold by F dealer? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

PPI for car sold by F dealer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Sunshine1, Sep 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Absolutely! Knowing that almost of the cars of interest to me are not in South Florida, this is a must.

Question to all members: when planning a PPI for a car that is far away from you (not from an F dealer), would you use the local F dealer other there for the PPI, or would you use an Indy expert instead? Asking as many of you had had issues with PPIs from F dealers?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No single simple answer. Best is to send your guy to the car.

3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    FWIW I am obviously not a big fan of Indys for ongoing care and service (just me- TONS of AWESOME Indys out there so that's just me) I would use an Indy for a PPI. They have no skin in the game other than providing you a fair and thorough PPI. And a lot of Indys' business/$$ comes from PPIs so they tend to be very good at it- whereas some Dealers just consider them low-profit annoyances and as such are not as thorough.

Cheers :cool:

Sunshine1 likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #29 Rifledriver, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    More and more of us do not do them at all so not really true these days. I have not done one in years. To little money, destroys any attempt at scheduling and have become a huge liability. I was charging near $1000 8 years ago and it was not enough. For 7 figure cars I will consider it.

"No skin in the game"? Thats hilarious.

Like being an OBGYN. "My baby is not perfect, its someones fault. You're handy".

ScottS and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Yes, it’s always a risk, but for that particular car I was pretty confident. I bought it from a well known Ferrari indy who owned it 15 years, and who has been a close friend of my uncle for 40 years. Only repair I had to do after was a fuel tank gasket leak.

On the other hand, my gated 430 was a private sale and more of a risk. It had good consistent service records, looked pristine, drove strong. I lucked out, after my Indy looked over it, all I needed was ball joints and engine mounts.

I’ve been lucky so far, but I don’t buy too many cars, certainly don’t want to test that luck too much…

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The point(s) of the "no skin in the game" are simply 1) and Indy is not trying to sell the car so "no skin" off their ass if the PPI causes the potential buyer to pass and 2) an Indy is not beholding to Ferrari or governed by them so "no skin" off their ass if they find or identify an issue thar could reflect negatively on Ferrari.

Cheers :cool:

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    This business runs on relationships. You have never experienced telling a wealthy important client he cannot have the car he has his heart set on. You also have never experienced an important seller trying to destroy your reputation for telling an important client not to buy a seven figure car because by doing so you have signaled the entire community not to purchase it. You have not been around long enough to understand the ramifications.

PPI's are a no win for any amount. Its why so few who are seriously in the Ferrari business still do them. Many have been sued trying to provide a service.

ScottS, Themaven, Ffre92 and 2 others like this.
  8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow- I had no clue- great points and thanks- Sucks we are in such a litigious mindset these days but I totally get it- Especially from your "actually in the business" standpoint- Thanks for the education- Cheers :cool:

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sad, but true.

10. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Reading your last posts. So…how does one buy a Ferrari if no independent expert wants to do a PPI to shed lights on a car’s condition? I’m not so optimistic anymore regarding a purchase… :(

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    If it looks good, drives good, has records, and it fulfills a dream, take the plunge! You only live once. You can get a ppi, only a few hundred bucks, if it makes u feel better, and help with negotiating price or up front repairs, but it is no guarantee of anything. My philosophy is as long as u budget unexpected costs, u r good to go.

The way I approach it is I won’t buy it unless I can write it off without too much pain. If I ended up with a lemon, either I fix it if I loved the car, or just sell it at a big loss, and chalk it up as lesson that exotic car ownership is not for me (but at least able to have experienced it!)

12. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Sales and service are two different teams with their own incentives (sales is a customer of service). Get a copy of the original PPI and the work they completed, then focus on any delta that exists.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It's so true that who does your PPI, if you can find anyone, is important. The holy grail is getting a trustworthy person to do your PPI in good time. It's not easy to find, particularly away from home.

I have bought six Ferraris (many more Porsches, but Ferraris are just different). I am absolutely not a mechanic but have been around a while. Here's how they stacked up:

1987 Testarossa
    Bought at auction
    No PPI, just my visual inspection (no lift) & documents
    How did it turn out: I knew it would need work for some rust on suspension, figured everything else was fine.
    Suspension component rust was much worse than I had expected, everything else was fine.
    Conclusion: If I'd had a PPI, I probably would have bought another car, but worked out ok in the end mainly due to the good fortune of buying in a rising market at the time

1995 F512M
    Bought privately
    PPI from Ferrari main dealer who serviced the car. Car was in Barcelona, I live in England. Note: obviously a risk, as vendor was their client. I insisted on the same check they did on Approved cars and on receiving a headed paper document with their checklist.
    PPI was fine
    Car was fine

1997 550 Maranello
    Bought privately from dealer principal of Fiat dealership near Rome (his personal car)
    Asked a Ferrari dealership in Rome to do a PPI. They agreed, and the next thing I heard, the vendor told me the dealer had bid on the car for one of their clients, without doing a PPI.
    So, visual inspection by me. It was a very low mileage example.
    How did it turn out: Needed quite a lot of work on fuel system etc when I got it to UK, but otherwise fine. A PPI may have caused me to think again, re the expensive fuel system repairs, but otherwise the car was good, so likely not.

2005 gated 430 Spider
    Bought from authorised Ferrari dealership in UK, CPO equivalent
    PPI: No
    I inspected the car and documentation minutely and saw it had had every detail attended to in its annual services, money no object.
    How did it turn out: Perfect. Super reliable and no hidden horrors.

2006 gated 430 coupe
    Bought from authorised Ferrari dealership in UK, CPO equivalent
    Car had 1000 miles on it. All the documentation.
    How did it turn out: A few glitches more than a year after I bought it, nothing a PPI would have noted

2004 gated 575
    Bought from recognised classic Ferrari dealership in UK which is also an authorised Ferrari workshop (not vendor)
    I looked around the car and documentation minutely and saw it had had every detail attended to in its annual services, money no object.
    How did it turn out: Perfect. Super reliable and no hidden horrors.

In between these, there were numerous cars I saw and didn't even consider, both at dealerships/CPO and otherwise.

So, no PPIs and I never bought a lemon, for example a car that had been crashed badly. For two out of six, a PPI would have made me think carefully, and for one of those two, probably not buy the car. The best cars had very thorough service and maintenance records where the obviously wealthy owners had insisted on everything being done to make the car perfect, over many years. I also spent a lot of time examining the cars myself, but as a non-mechanic, that doesn't mean that much.

The old advice still goes: buy the best car you can, don't think about getting a bargain, examine everything and ask about everything, don't overrule your own doubts, and always remember there's another one. And if you buy from a dealer with an excellent reputation, that can only help, but it's no guarantee.

Good luck, and it's worth it! I don't think many people every regret becoming Ferrari owners.

Texas Forever, Ffre92 and papou like this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sending your mechanic is the only way. Any other if you can find one is a waste of money.

Texas Forever, Themaven and Ffre92 like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

And that is rule #1. It is followed by about 1% of the buyers. Everyone wast a bargain. There are none.

Texas Forever, Themaven and Ffre92 like this.
  16. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you so much for all these details :). This is very interesting to go behind the scene for all the purchases.

I will follow these advices to the letter: « The old advice still goes: buy the best car you can, don't think about getting a bargain, examine everything and ask about everything, don't overrule your own doubts, and always remember there's another one. And if you buy from a dealer with an excellent reputation, that can only help, but it's no guarantee. »

Themaven likes this.
  17. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    I do not have a particular mechanic. All my cars (several Maseratis, A8, 750, …) have been under warranty, with the official dealers taking care of them.

What I gather from various posts is that a CPO would add another layer of comfort (in addition to a PPI), not perfect but a + because why would a dealer sell an « approved Ferrari » with 1 or 2 years of extra warranty if they know a car has major issues (it would go back to them under the warranty/cost) :rolleyes:

18. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    YES! I think it is a conflict of interest to have the dealer (or private party) provide an inspection to their own cars (or for you to base a decision on their report), I have always gotten my own PPI and not one time did it match up with the dealers, in some cases there were over 30 things wrong the dealer had not listed.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When I was in dealers I got flown around the country for our clients inspecting cars. Even inspected a 275GTBC at our co owned dealer because our client trusted me to represent his interests. Company management was pretty pissed when it got a tumbs down.

Texas Forever and Themaven like this.
  20. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    No matter where one is on the risk tolerance in buying a car, I want to publicly thank Steve @SAFE4NOW and Brian @Rifledriver for giving us their unfiltered opinions based on a combined experience in this area of more years than I have been alive. We are lucky to have y’all here. Even when we disagree, appreciate the discussion.

I have said that safe4now did my warranty inspection and I almost moved there to his area and I would be confident with his team.

And Rifledriver, same plus some for his shop….. He just scares me a little bit. ;)….Like my dad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have done this more then a few times in the past. Recently they have seemed to be better.

Themaven likes this.
  22. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    My understanding of cpo is that the dealer loses nothing if a car is in frequently for warranty service, Ferrari pays the dealership for the service rendered. So they can care less if a cpo car they sell is a lemon or not. Or does Ferrari pay a lower rate than non warranty work?

23. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Warranty repairs pay a fraction of what a job actually requires.

PLUS the amount of administrative requirements are sometimes staggering.

Warranty work is better than no work, but customer pay is always preferred. :)

S

Themaven, ScottS and Ffre92 like this.
  24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The tech actually doing the work..if you pay flat rate don't like it either..leads to shoddy work many cases.

25. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you indeed. And thank you to all the members who posted in the thread. When I'm an owner, I will make sure to give back to the community by posting advices based on ownership experience.