What should I do with my 575? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What should I do with my 575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Sep 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    John, with the greatest respect, utterly stunning cars, both are lovely to drive, but neither will ever yield the pure delight of driving a Maranello

Chupacabra likes this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Indeed, Seth, and I would not suggest otherwise. They are chalk and cheese and there are many things that a Maranello can do which a Bentley, any Bentley, cannot. However, the same thing can be said vice-versa - it's horses for courses. In the ideal world, I would have both. Indeed I did for about 8 years and the 550 and Turbo R made an excellent combination.

However, my main point is that driving a car is always going to be more rewarding than not driving a car, however wonderful that car may be - the starting point of this thread was Darius' admission that he had not driven his 575 for almost a year and seemed unlikely to use it much, if at all, in the near future.

I had found myself in a very similar position about two years ago with my 550, although in my case I did drive almost 370 miles in my 550 in my last year of ownership, but that was still almost nothing by my standards (though I appreciate that a lot of Ferrari owners would regard that as high mileage!), so IMO it was time for it to go to a new owner, and the prospect of using the funds to acquire another Bentley which I would be able to enjoy with the roof down, gave me the impetus that I needed to get on with it. You also have to bear in mind that I have an E-type in my garage too, which, making allowances for the 35 year age difference, is in many respects the equal of the 550 (and in some respects more fun to drive because of the age / technology difference).

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would keep a manual 575 forever, unless my financial situation dictated otherwise. Unless the spark really is gone.

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Cars are for driving. If you ain’t using it, then it’s probably time to move it along. There’s no shame in that, and you owe it to neither the car nor your children to hold onto it indefinitely.

It may well be that someone else gets a chance to enjoy this special car more than you can.

I’m a pragmatist.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    F is not making any more V-12’s with a 6spd manual and without an Atari dash. The new cars are diluted and cater to a wider audience. The quality of the exterior designs have fallen off of a cliff. Try to keep the car.

EnzoItaly and Dewinator like this.
  7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Grateful to everyone for the variety, thoughtfulness and depth of the responses.

More than seven years since I bought the 575, I am as excited as ever by the prospect of driving it. It's also true, and I make no bones about it, that I would not be able to justify having a car of this value if it were evident it would depreciate like a new or nearly new car.

Can I think of a more interesting car to put the money into..some alternatives for sure. But no, nothing compelling. I do love a 458 Spider, for example, but I already have a manual 430 which is better in some ways and not in others. It's a different price but I don't know if I'd be more excited by a Daytona. Driven a friend's 275 GTB4 a few times, beautiful car, but value aside would I prefer it in my garage and enjoy it more? Nope.

As already mentioned to Bluebottle, a four seater is essential in my circumstances but I already have my Brabus.

So, and I have to thank everyone because, and this shows how impressionable I must be, your responses helped me to this conclusion, I will keep the car. For the moment..and try to drive it again properly.

poljav, Dewinator, DZ-96 and 8 others like this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Great choice.

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    E-Type often “FTW”…..
    My wife and my cousin, what feels like a life time ago…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NE550 and 71veedub like this.
  10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    It's Cheaper to Keep Her...

ifeelfree0 likes this.
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  12. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
  13. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Darius, you basically described why I eventually gave up looking for a 550/575 and bought an FF instead.

The FF is now my daily. It's useability allows me to enjoy it far more than a 2 seater.

Selling your 575 would pretty much get you into a V12 Lusso right now or an FF with change. A lovely gentleman spec FF has just popped up at Joe Macari.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/13884053

Take the 575 in for p/ex (or SOR with Joe) drive off in an FF plus some cash.

14. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    An FF is fantastic-but it is not a manual Maranello-i have owned both in the last couple of years(still have the 550).

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I do like the FF and I like the GTC4Lusso even more, and the Lusso T even more than that, due to its RWD and despite the lack of V12..

These are all great cars but my rationale of my original post still sort of stands. I am not wealthy enough to justify a depreciating asset I don't use much. I do have a depreciating car asset in my Brabus 640, which is a bespoked C63S AMG with a monster engine and special interior which I had built for me new this year. I don't kid myself about its value going down but that's a car that's used every day by me and my wife in a way a Ferrari or other weekend car wouldn't.

As I described here, I don't really drive cars at weekends either though Taz's comment actually prompted me to uncover my 6MT 430 Spider for a suburban errand today (the 575 is not currently taxed).

I wouldn't use an FF/Lusso instead of the Brabus DD, they are too special and also too awkward in central London. That is not an automatic transmission, in the nicest possible way. And I can't justify buying one to be used a couple of times a year while losing value. So any replacement would also need to be relatively steady in value. There aren't many cars like that and so far none I can think of that I'd prefer.

16. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Sell it to me

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Harry- Just what you need in NYC, a RHD, non-US legal 575M. With three pedals.

18. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I have seen that Grigio Titanio 575 a couple of times and it is really nice in the flesh, even the Bordeaux interior.
    I actually tried to buy it once, though it was a cheeky low bid that I made, which was understandably rejected.

This year my wife has been unwell and our classic car usage has been limited. In fact any pleasure driving has been off.
    An F12 grand tour of Italy (an update of a 575m tour of 5 years ago) was also cancelled.
    So there has been a lot of nice metal sat in the garage doing nothing much and one in storage collecting a monthly bill.

I have thought about selling, and did sell my Lancia 8.32, which was literally more trouble than it is worth.

The 1960s cars are able to sit for multi month periods. The way I use them tends to be aimed towards specific events, Goodwood, FOC meetings, Salon Prive and the like.

Anyway Darius, I understand the dilemma.
    I think a 575m does need to be used.
    I often regret selling mine, but on the hand it would be a shame if it had been on SORN in a subterranean car park for the last half decade.

19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I know. It’s amazing how fast time passes, literally a year since my last outing in the 575 yet feels pretty recent.

My cars live near my wines (which generally improve without needing to be driven around) and I am consistently astonished by how time flies from buying a case to broaching a bottle, what feels like a year or two is four or eight.

If I were very wealthy and could stop working and travelling time would slow down and I could enjoy the cars…but I’m not and will not be.

But I will keep the 575 and drive her more. My decision, this year at least.

20. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Alan, with great respect, an FF is not remotely an alternative to a 575M. It is a very big, heavy (1900kg ! ) comfortable long distance touring machine whereas I believe the 575M is correctly regarded as the lineal descendant of the 365GTB/4 Daytona, a different automobile entirely.

21. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Have you actually looked at what a 575 weighs?

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Good call, those of us on the L side (1999 Diablo Roadster) have similar challenges. Not many opportunities to drive so it only collects 300 or so miles per year but still requires expensive upkeep. But frankly, this is the type of car that, for me, best represents enjoyment motoring defining my lifetime. Will never come around again….

Themaven likes this.
  23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alan- Daytonas were pretty pudgy, too, especially when compared to a 275 GTB/4. The last Daytona tested by R&T had a curb weight of 3615 lbs.

haroonok likes this.
  24. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Indeed, it only weighs 31kg less than an FF.

Here's my trip to Silverstone a couple of weeks ago with my friend in his 575.

The angle of the picture isn't helping here, it makes the 575 look like a dinky car!.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NE550 and Themaven like this.
  25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nice pic and nice FF. I have to say 575 looks good in giallo

21ATS likes this.