PPI for car sold by F dealer? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

PPI for car sold by F dealer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Sunshine1, Sep 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You mean like when the factory guy (whatever his title is this year) test drives and confirms a bad transmission so you do a warranty replacement with prior approval and it gets denied and the dealer eats the whole thing? ? I personally know of several of those happening.

Or when an engine blows up on the PDI test drive and after waiting 2 months for a replacement you have to file a report of sale and a couple of weeks later have to threaten a lemon law buy back to get parts to fix a brand new car?

Or just simply a repair that only pays a fraction of the hours needed to fix the car?

Many manufacturers understand good, quality, timely warranty repairs result in better customer satisfaction with the brand.

Ferrari never figured it out.

Texas Forever, papou and SAFE4NOW like this.
  2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Good points,

The problem I see with PPI's no matter who performs it, is that what is actually being looked for is different between inspections. So Shop A performed their PPI, Shop B does theirs, and Shop C does theirs... none of them align. Unless they all use the same form and inpect the same exact items, how could anyone expect them to have the same results?

Some shops concentrate on safety items only, others cosmetics, while others service items.. which is in the wrong?
    Then you have the buyer who wants to know everything that can be found... and is willing to fly the inspector to the vehicle to perform it..... it becomes a price issue.
    From personal experience, we get buyers that want to know everything but only want to spend $300 and others who want an overview that are willing to pay thousands, and everything in between. Like Brian, I've been to GA to inspect an Enzo on a lift in a clients garage to San Antonio to inspect over a dozen Ferrari in a warehouse that had been in a field for several years. It's about having a clear understand what is most important to the buyer and getting those answers. Also, knowing what the buyer needs to know that they may not realize they need to be informed on.

Interesting, I haven't experienced that first hand, I'll trust your personal experience. Concerning though, as I trust the guy working with my Ferrari with my life and drive it like it was intended. To think someone could put my life in danger because of their compensation plan is disheartening.

S

Ffre92 likes this.
  3. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Look at it like this, pay your PPI guy more to tear the car apart, then you can use it as negotiating power but sit down with him and go over what's important and forget about the $150 missing cigarette lighter, separate into 'must fix / mechanical issues' & then into 'small stuff'. At least you'll know everything the car needs to be 'perfect'.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. Yurigia

Yurigia Rookie

Sep 20, 2022
    Full Name:
    Juri Giambelli
    But a F Dealer is not giving warranty on used cars..??

In Europe a dealer is obliged to give 1 year warranty on used cars

5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Read what the warranty covers, sticky buttons? NOPE, I could go on and on of small stuff warranties do not cover.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes, but what does the warranty cover? A very thorough PPI will likely uncover many items not covered by a Ferrari warranty.

In the ideal world, a F dealer would carry out the same inspection on a car they are selling to you, as they would on a car they were buying from you. They would remedy all outstanding items and then sell to you with a warranty.

it’s not an ideal world

7. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would guess buying a car at an auction would be a whole different story; no PPI, etc., any liability to the seller here?

8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I bought my 458 from Ferrari of central New Jersey sight unseen and it was CPO. I felt comfortable buying sight unseen with no PPI because it was CPO… that said, when I went there to take delivery I immediately noticed a few things that I wish I had known about before the purchase. Nothing was a deal breaker, but I insisted the dealer take care of them before I accepted the car.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Reading various threads and noticing that a number of Fchat members have been “burned” when buying a CPO vehicle from an official F dealer. No PPI done because they trusted the process from an official dealer. Over the years I’ve purchased high-end german CPO cars (Maserati too) and I never thought twice about the process and doing a PPI.

Why are these issues happening frequently with Ferrari (including needing a PPI for a car bought at an official dealer), why are some official dealers doing a crappy job and lying? And what can be done to improve the situation (buying a Ferrari with confidence from an official dealer)?

10. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    Well it would help if Ferrari corporate actually cared about the CPO process and what standards there are. When I had the issue with my FF, corporate basically told me it's between me and the dealer and they have no official standards for the interior and exterior condition of the car. This despite a fender with $10k damage estimate and the entire interior of the car ruined with dye everywhere. If something that glaringly obvious wasn't marked on the CPO inspection form or disclosed prior to sale, it begs the question of how thoroughly they actually inspected any of the mechanical parts.

11. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Let’s take the Ferrari name out of it for this instant, Why would anyone trust a " used car dealership " ?

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Brian is a big puffball. He just posts tuff.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app