Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 38 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    This was an example of a well represented and super strong sale IMHO. Not any "hidden" issues or seller "misrepresentations" that I could find.

2. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Seemed like the sales approach killed the results and I am always shocked that people wont let the reserve go - are they not seeing the reality in the market? Yes, they will say "the other one sold for 190, so ours is a 190 car - but it aint! lol

3. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    that 355 was a SHOCK to me. I blasted the seller on this site for asking that price, no way no how did I imagine that a blue 355 would get there today!

4. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, pretty strong result for a Euro-market 550 with a cam belt service that is a year past due. Offset by mid-teens mileage (assuming it is actual/correct from KM conversion), desirable color combo with decent options, excellent presentation & great detailing work (especially the undercarriage), and quite a bit of documentation. Had this been an original US market 550, all other factors equal have to think it would've cracked $200k.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  5. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Do you really think the "year past due" is an issue? Curious, not judging you! lol

For me, having owned a performance/race/repair shop (we did work on Ferrari's as well as P'cars, AMG and BMW M) I am always skeptical. I think that cars need it when they need it - depends a lot on environment (dry v damp), stored v driven, etc. Just saying that I dont believe in hard and fast rules like "years" for certain service.

brogenville likes this.
  6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm an absolute wimp....interference engine and even the chance of a belt going terrifies me. When I bought mine there was about a year left and I did mine early just so I had a "fresh slate". Going forward I won't exceed the 5 year mark.

mrp_e likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brad- Works fine until a belt breaks and there is no way to inspect a cambelt and tell if it needs replacement. Plus, there are other failure points in the cam train.

Used to be 3 years for the V12s, so we were happy when it went to 5.

mrp_e likes this.
  8. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Yes, of course you are right. But again, the environment plays a part. If you live in a dry area (like we do) if needs to be 5 years max IMHO. If you live in an area with more moisture in the air, things will be less brittle. But to each their own! I am echoing the words of our mechanic, not just my own. He is an ex dealer lead who has his own here in PHX and is recommended on this site.

Another note, is this one on anyone's radar:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    "You are bidding on a Low production 2003 Ferrari 575m Maranello Coupe. Less than 600 of these were presumedly made to North America. This car was purchased in 2018 used and they drove it back to Minnesota from the East coast. It's a fast car. The car is Rosso Corsa, Red, in color. It has a 5.7L V12 motor. The Odometer shows 11,255 miles. It runs and drives. The car has 6 speed automatic transmission and paddle shift. There are a few touch ups on the paint. Assembly #49685/. Title. The tan leather interior is attractive with red leather piping. Tan leather dash. There is some slight separation on the dash by the glove box. Bucket seats and comfortable and loaded with options. Electric windows and locks and more. Pina Farina. This is a wonderful and rare car. Since he drove back from the East coast to Minnesota, he and or his friend drove only a few times. It has been in a storage unit. Custom exhaust. The friend said that it was a fast ride back from the East coast and really a lot of fun. This rare car is selling as part of the estate. Call for inspection or more info. This is part of the Jams Hultman Estate-The Lakehouse Estate. We are settling an Estate and SERIOUS BIDDERS ONLY. This is an ONLINE ONLY auction. All cars and motorcycles are sold AS IS AND ALL SALES ARE FINAL. NO EXCEPTIONS. The vehicles/motorcycles are located in Alexandria, MN. Buyer is responsible for reviewing all information and bid accordingly and call for more info if needed. Buyers are responsible for all winning bids. Buyers are responsible for shipping and costs and removal in proper time line. Buyers are responsible for loading. No motorcycles are running and have been in storage for several years. They will need some work to get them ready for the road/riding. They may have old gas and or other issues. Check website for VanDerBrink Auctions for preview availability and info."

Currently at 82K, on a site most Ferrari people wont see it with collector miles. Presented un-detailed. No feedback or interaction with seller. Will be interesting. IMHO, this could be a deal.

NE550 likes this.
  9. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My indie Ferrari mechanic, who worked for Penske Ferrari for a time in the early 2000s, agrees with you for many of the same reasons you cite, and says there is really no need to replace the cam belt every 5 years or 30k miles (which ever comes first). And I generally trust what he thinks as he's never steered me wrong. But Ferrari said otherwise, and as an owner, kinda like Eric says, why take a chance?

My original comment, though, was made with respect to the market, where most buyers tend to favor cars that have received regular "by the book" maintenance (with documentation of such) vs. cars that have not.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We have one 550 here where the belts failed just before 30,000 miles, with the belt change service scheduled, but not completed. Nobody actually cares when an owner changes the cambelts until it is time to sell her.

NE550 likes this.
  11. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Still at 82K with 3 hours to go....

12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Funny the vin ends in 550

13. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    lol, good catch!

14. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
  15. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep, could be a good deal. Given that it hasn't been driven much during current ownership, could also need a lot of deferred maintenance items addressed. Buyer beware. But still...

"Pina Farina." Is that like a Pina Colada? Too funny. Too bad deceased owner's estate is selling through a clueless auction co.

otoupalik likes this.
  16. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Yes, I have a couple family members that own estate sale companies and I always tell them to let me help them sell special cars, but they almost always just want them sold on the timeline of the estate, not necessarily for the most money. Great buying opportunities. I have bought a few vehicles (cars and bikes) and flipped them. If this 575 goes for under $100K with that mileage, a deal was had IMHO

NE550 likes this.
  17. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sold for $87k.
    No docs
    Low miles
    Who knows how many “needs” for discussion purposes say $20k easy then maybe that hammer was about correct?

18. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    I bet closer to 10k, but depends on your local mech and how friendly. Lol

I think this car with a manual swap would be a deal! We will never know most likely.

19. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
  20. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    F456M likes this.
  21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    otoupalik likes this.
  22. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    especially in Kalifornia

23. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Is anyone else surprised this Euro is already $145?

Another non CA compliant car too, and the seller doesn't seem too interested in replying to questions.

F456M and mrp_e like this.
  24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Zero option car as well?
    #Hard2understand