The Purosangue Thread | Page 210 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Sounds great. Cavallino is in Palm Beach at the end of January. Great place to get those drinks and talk cars if you can make it. :)

Or we can also talk 80’s movies. ;)

ScottS and magneti like this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #5227 Caeruleus11, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    I think this is the Porsche rationale. And now about ⅔ of Porsche production is SUV. Lamborghini is about ⅝ SUV. I think the same for Bentley. Rolls- I think it is ½. Aston is harder to say- but I think they were banking on it just about doubling their production.

I think the PS rationale is in a way similar and in a way different to what you say- and you can see some parallels to the others, but in the end I think its actually different.

The similarity is they have some truly excellent clients who are saying they would like to have such a vehicle. So if you are in business to make money- why wouldn’t you? And by the way, I’d note its well documented they’ve been in business to make money since day 1.

The difference is they are not needing this to save the company. All the others really need their SUVs. The Porsche story is well known, partially because they made a plan that made sense and they then executed it to near perfection. Their brand is safe because its seen that all those SUVs help them continue to make truly amazing and highly desirable sports cars. So are they a SUV company? By production volume, very easily, yes they are. But by mind share when you say “Porsche” - you still think of the 911 and racing. So job well done.

Lamborghini has always been about crazy wild cars and the Urus is kind of that in SUV form- so it reinforces. Are they a SUV company? No- they are a company making wild extreme looking vehicles.

Bentley and Rolls make luxury cars, so if its higher riding, I dont think that changes the narrative.

But Ferrari has to worry, they don’t want to make too many of these- seeing a PS on the road should be somewhat rare. I dont think you want a situation where you see many many more PS than F8 on the road. The way to do this is to sell only to the top level of clients- and not sell too much volume. This is very much in keeping with how Enzo did it- he hand picked his customers.

I see Ferrari offering this vehicle as a kind of reward/ bonus to their upper level clients who have asked for something like this- which is really a very different reason for being vs the others, where it was a matter of survival.

So I would amend your statement to read: (my additions in *)
    “Since most *top level* Ferrari owning households also have some form of SUV/crossover/high riding car, why oh why should those same *top level* households have to go to Rover/Aston/Lambo/Bentley/Rolls? Ferrari can do it better, and do it the Ferrari way, which we all love here. “

{Side note- I think the biggest risk to Ferrari is the F1 team fumbles. I think Ferrari should be concerned as being viewed as silly- that can be very damaging. They still have a lot of time to correct it, but its not an unlimited time. Eventually, this catches up with you, even for Ferrari.}

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Samui, Lukeylikey, paulchua and 10 others like this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Don't forget the Tortellini..........

Marcel Massini

Schultz, magneti, papou and 6 others like this.
  4. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Between 8000 and 9000 high level customers ???
    It is the ceiling in terms of product strategy that corresponded to the forecast studies.
    Except that the demand is well beyond the original forecasts...
    And we start the same strategy again when it comes out full EV.
    We shouldn't complicate something much simpler, they want to build as many as the production capacity allows them, without harming the profitability of other models, it's as simple as that !
    What if this production capacity was 30,000 and there were 30,000 customers opposite; Well, they would build 30,000 !

LuxRes likes this.
  5. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Small sports car, indeed :D !!!

of2worlds likes this.
  6. magneti

magneti Karting
    BANNED

Dec 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Magneti Marelli
    As stated before this is how I view this vehicle. Also my experience as a fan and client of the marque

If Ferrari had phoned it in with an engine from a Maserati Levante, à la the 4.0tt from Audi RS6 that Lambo dropped into Urus with a tune (not sure why that sounds dirty), I would be less than enthused and would have a hard time not seeing it as a cash grab.

As it is, I’m pleased with the direction they’ve taken, because if we have to do this it’s being done to a standard that I see as respectable.

Sunshine1 and paulchua like this.
  7. magneti

magneti Karting
    BANNED

Dec 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Magneti Marelli
    Correct

8. magneti

magneti Karting
    BANNED

Dec 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Magneti Marelli
    Thank you

And Urus is an evolution of Bentley Flying Spur with that engine hanging over the front axle

You could plow a field with the way those turn
    View attachment 3400773

Attached Files:

paulchua likes this.
  9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    If the Purosangue can match the Lusso V12 in terms of driving experience and agility on the road, IMO this will be a great achievement. But the Purosangue is equipped with an innovative suspension system that we know is capable of breaking the laws of physics. So we can only wait for the opinion of all those who will soon drive and test Purosangue. Only then will we be able to conclude whether or not it is the best in its class.

elmadi and paulchua like this.
  10. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    So the dealers are forwarding the deposits to FNA?

Is this a move to raise capital for FNA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elmadi likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you @MDEL

MDEL likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great post! Agreed with everything you said.

13. magneti

magneti Karting
    BANNED

Dec 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Magneti Marelli
    Yes. Agree with you.

It is well documented they have always been it to make money for other purposes. Now if they really only cared about margins and making money and it was cynical as that, they could have phoned it in with a tuned and reworked Maserati engine or even one of their own v8tt, normal doors, and pumped up the production ratios relative to their overall production. Why didn’t they?

These other brands need it to survive but no one has the brand equity Ferrari does. Ferrari knowing it has to stay limited to maintain their brand equity, and the demand, is where their focus is. This is not something to take for granted, this mistake has been made before in the automotive arena and beyond. Ferrari get it. Even if they don’t need a Purosangue for survival, they could have treated it very differently.

No disagreement really, the picture is pretty clear, but Purosangue could have been so different, with much lower effort put into it, and if a Urus is, bizarro Puro would still be in extremely high demand. That’s how I’m looking at it.

ouzo12, elmadi and paulchua like this.
  14. magneti

magneti Karting
    BANNED

Dec 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Magneti Marelli
    Ok!

but we have to start with Big Trouble In Little China

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And if the timing works out maybe I’ll bring a PS, we take it out and you tell me what you really think ;)

italiafan and HotShoe like this.
  15. magneti

magneti Karting
    BANNED

Dec 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Magneti Marelli
    Nay

And nay

16. magneti

magneti Karting
    BANNED

Dec 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Magneti Marelli
    Something to look forward to, seeing how the chassis PS acquits itself

We can be quite sure it will be the most emotive and exciting in a straight line, and sound the best, even if suffering from the untreatable disease known as gpf

MDEL likes this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Hard to argue with you, but, my sense is they wont make that many. Time will tell.

RamsHmb likes this.
  18. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The $30k is confirmed. Told for the next 4 years all PS will be V12. Thus not so limited as was told to those several months ago including myself. Not sure I will order one as this could be the largest number of V12 “cars” produced by Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    The number produced has no bearing on my enjoyment. I’ll gladly take your allocation.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    ohno, deltona, inox and 9 others like this.
  21. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS

Video by: Multimatic Inc
    A small video about new PS dumper technology.

22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic work once again by Mario, thank you

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

RamsHmb, Bundy, Senad and 2 others like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A well-written post @Caeruleus11 , I enjoyed reading this quite a bit. I couldn't agree with you more on F1 as well.

Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner