296 GTB Test drive impressions | Page 5 | FerrariChat

296 GTB Test drive impressions

Discussion in '296' started by ATLBond, Jul 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    why?

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Was the 296 lighter and more 'playful' feeling?

3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I felt the same.
    It is not about front turn in that matters when it comes to feeling.
    It is more about how playful the rear is and if the car dances with you through the corner for me.

My car is at stage 50 and I can not wait to drive it on the road and track :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds and ryalex like this.
  4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    So stupid my dealer asked if I wanted to test drive the F8. I had no intention of buying one but did the test drive and immediately ordered one. That’s how you sell cars.

LuxRes, Gh21631 and mdrums like this.
  5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Ouch selling the last non hybrid mid engine V8 Ferrari for a six banger. Hope you like it.

jm2 likes this.
  6. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    #106 soulsea, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    If one has to use that many words to indicate a delineation point then it’s not really a delineation point. I mean one is free to do it, but then it means nothing because there are infinite variations of technology change increments that one can arbitrarily choose to rationalize their position.

For most folks including myself, that delineation point was the end of V8 NA, as it will be for the V12 … in fact the transition from NA, along with the manual transmission, are well established crossover/delineation points for pretty much all sports cars of all brands. For most people once that boat sailed and the 488 replaced the 458, you might as well use any combo of FI and electrics to make the best overall performing car possible.

I personally would argue that a hybrid assisted V8/V12 without FI is much more attractive that anything with FI … but that’s just a personal preference. I wish V8/Electric was the direction they had chosen for the 296 as opposed to the V6 + FI + Hybrid. It would have had the scream of the NA V8 with the added instant torque and performance of electrics.

Again, this is just my perspective. :)

SECRET, Gooselander and x z8 like this.
  7. I do too, but are there any marques out there using that formula? NA + Hybrid?

Everything that comes to mind is FI + Hybrid.

8. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Actually, as weird as it may sound, it was more fun to drive.

The sound, the turbo whistling, the compact turning. It really feels like a very good daily road car.

mdrums and Jo Sta7 like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Hope is not a method!:eek:

ryalex likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A very good daily road car. If that is your expectation, the 296 will not disappoint.

pninja005 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If the 296 is a harbringer of the type of cars Ferrari will offer henceforth, I will no longer be interested in being an owner. My preference is decidedly rooted in super cars that tickle the senses, create chills traversing down the spine and will leave the driver breathless. The 296 will not elicit any of those sensations.

redcaruser and day355 like this.
  12. magneti

magneti Karting
    BANNED

Dec 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    Magneti Marelli
    Good review, thank toi
    That’s right. The story is always the same

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That is for you, sir. One cannot speak for most folks.

14. timothymunro

timothymunro Karting

Jun 20, 2013
    I drove the 296GTB and it was brilliant. I loved the engine note - to me much better than the F8. I have a Roma (which I am not going to sell because it’s EPIC) and yet I can’t wait to get back into a 296 and drive it again. Ferrari and these cars are moving forward and they are so so so good!

SECRET likes this.
  15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Went back to my dealer yesterday and the 296 is gone. Was only there for a couple days…I missed out driving one. But I did get a ride in my friends 765LT…now that was ballistically epic! @JAM1 lol!!! Me fitting in it was odd though…lol

of2worlds and Coincid like this.
  16. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    I thought the F8 orders had been closed long ago.???

17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    This was along time ago.

18. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Ugh, Ferrari cancelled the driving event at my dealership because of the looming hurricane.

I say that would be the perfect time to test drive a car. :oops:

Anyway, no biggie, just have to wait a little longer to drive the car and see what it's all about.

19. Adam Greenberg

Adam Greenberg Formula Junior
    Miami 2018

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Adam Greenberg
    I was able to drive it yesterday, in the preceding feeder bans from Ian, which i thought was cool. I would say that of all the Ferraris Ive owned and driven, this was by far the best performing in inclement weather. It handled standing water and torrential downpours extremely well, without the AF package, which I was advised to forego if it was going to be a street car. \IO also liked the look much better in person, again without the AF, then I expected. I don't love the tech, all the digital, the sort of touch buttons and screens, they were terrible in the Roma I had for about 8 weeks, and my concern would be the 14 service visits I'll be forced to make in the first year, if they dont dial it in before release (like the roma)

SECRET and soulsea like this.
  20. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020

Attached Files:

graeme355 and ryalex like this.
  21. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I agree with this statement (I would add whatever is going to be the latest pure NA V12 GT car in there with it), and yet unless I absolutely hate the 296 test drive I'm going to end up buying it anyway.

I'm going to say the quiet part out loud here and I'm sure will get flamed for it, but I (like many others) am basically mired in the Ferrari carrot based ecosystem where if my dealer offers me a top five allocation for a 296 GTS (which they did), I better take it and act grateful if I ever want to get to the point where I get offered the stuff I might really want.

I'm going to be crazy honest here and say that I was never excited for the 296. I have a 15 458 Spider that I love to bits and I'm waiting for my my 812 GTS to be built. So when I got the 296 GTS offer call I had a decision to make. Take the allocation and buy a $400k+ car that I'm meh about to keep the ball rolling, or pass on it and accept that the 812 GTS will be the last semi special Ferrari I will ever be offered and give up on the idea of ever getting to the VS cars. I toiled on it, and I really asked myself how special electric cars are going to be in the future and whether it's even worth me buying a car I'm not excited about to get to something that I'm likely to be even less excited about. But Ferrari and other brands have ways to surprise me, and they might figure out how to keep doing very special things in the mid-term future, and that hope keeps me in the ecosystem as per their evil plan. :)

Basically, unless the 296 is a complete pig which by all accounts it isn't, I'm buying it no matter what. I hope that it surprises me and moves me more than I anticipate, it would be a welcome bonus and that's why I'm so interested in the test drive. Heck I might even end up loving it. But I hate that that's how all this works with Ferrari, yet here we are with me essentially willing to purchase what could in essence be no more than a $400k placeholder, and in the process also denying someone who might really want that car, just for me to prevent being kicked out of the party. :(

anunakki and Gooselander like this.
  22. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    This sentiment always confuses me. The car is going to be faster and handle better than the car it replaces. The OEMs HAVE to keep on improving on the specs and there is little way to do that without these kinds of changes. I respect the "purity" crowd when they are driving older naturally aspirated manual gearbox cars and are happy to admit the performance isn't there but the fun-factor is. Driver's coming off and F8 and acting like the a 296 loses purity from there confuse me. The computers took these cars over a long time ago, no way to make them so damn fast without it.

mayer, ryalex, LVP488 and 1 other person like this.
  23. First world problem, no doubt.

I'm not even invited into the Ferrari "carrot based ecosystem".

I'm still munching on hay.

mayer and Condor Man like this.
  24. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think test drives are a nice taster, however to fully appreciate a new car you need to spend some serious time behind the wheel.

Especially on some of your favourite driving roads.

After having driven the 296 on some roads that I know really well with ability to push on hard. I was blown away by it breadth and capabilities! This is one of the best Ferrari's made in a very long time by Ferrari.

If you could only have one car and you needed it to do everything, then this is the car. Period!

It's batsheet fast, looks gorgeous, has luggage space for a weekend away, handles like a go kart and sounds way better than a Pista or F8.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

-K1-, BCHOW, anunakki and 6 others like this.
  25. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles