MLB 2022 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

MLB 2022

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Mar 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #101 Whisky, Sep 26, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    How do you do that for a utility player that almost never gets in the game?
    Or a relief pitcher that doesn't get called in?
    Or the backup catcher that NEVER plays?

How do you do that for a Guard, Tackle, a 'blocking' TE, second-string QB, etc?

I'm sure you've seen the stories - Chase Daniel - backup QB - been in the league
    for 18 years, six different teams, he's started 5 games total, has made over 41 million dollars....

Then we have Ryan Fitzpatrick - NINE different teams in 17 years, started 166 games,
    he's made 82 million, although several places say he's only made 20-25-30 million, I know it's
    not that low just based on his first contract in Buffalo.

The other issue is: you can cut player salaries, that just means the owners keep it.

What *I* wish would happen is EVERYONE in the organization make good money.
    I know a couple folks that work in the 'front office' and they work their butts off for 40-50K a year.
    The Royals have 35 employees, the Yankees have 400+, they both take in a fair amount, enough to
    boost all the employees pay by 50%. But they don't HAVE to, I don't suppose.

BTST the Cowboys have 750 employees, the Browns have 100, both get a boatload of money
    from the TV deals alone, they can afford it....

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #102 ralfabco, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Not everyone would sign an incentive type of deal.

MLB players will take the safe route and sign for guaranteed money.

Several bench/utility players are happy to obtain MLB plate appearances and avoid AAA.

With professional baseball it is an accomplishment to be a bench player. You did well if you can hang around for three years. A cup of coffee.

I do not follow much basketball and football.

3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    For the first time in 57 years the Phils make the playoffs. Satan reports ice forming.

Texas Forever, TheMayor and ralfabco like this.
  4. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Last evening Nola was about perfect on the mound.

The ump burned Nola on a few calls. This is why the league must introduce robo-umps. Too many bad calls.

Phil's need Mike Trout.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Judge got his 62nd but looks like he'll just fall short in his bid for the Triple Crown.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I'm happy he did it but everyone knows judge will never come close to season like this again yet he will get a contract that pays like he will. No way can yanks let him walk esp with his personality. He's a giant version of Jeter.
    He could get $35m x 10 yrs and I bet he only averages .270/30/80 over it.
    Will really hamper their chances. He might eventually get ring but wont lead yanks to it.

7. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #107 ralfabco, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    The Dodger's will be after your star and promise to shower him with pallets of cash.

Those #'s will be ideal^. Judge is on the wrong side of 30 y/o.

The real issue is the potential for injury in the last few years of the pending contract which results in poor performance as the body is well over the hump. Everyone would love to have him on the roster for another six years from today. 6/240 would be a good deal for a buyer. Let's both pick up the phone and call Jim Crane and have a group chat :D.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    He will demand 300m regardless length contract so start offer at 6 yrs 50m/yr and go up from there.
    Who's his agent? Boras? Hope not

ralfabco likes this.
  9. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I guess some teams will be willing to pay him 6/300. It's not out of the question.

You can find a contract that is much worse - a clubhouse cancer that does not produce.

Judge is a great clubhouse presence and will carry a team's run production.

No doubt Judge has an out clause with his agent' contract.

Most likely Judge can find someone else if he chooses.

10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i bet yanks keep him at 8 yrs/320m

11. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    HOLY COW. LET'S GO PHILLIES

12. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
  13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Astros just signed Jose Abreu to a three-year deal.

His power is off a bit.

Excellent RBI production who will probably bat sixth in the order.

Yuli Gurriel's season production dropped off in 22. Age is catching up to him.

Top 6 in the line-up is very good.

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    all they need do now is get judge and degrom too. :p

15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Verlander is probably heading your way.

40 million a year for three years.

Would love to have Judge for three years. Of course everyone wants Judge for three years.

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    keep him. maybe 40m for 1 yr but he wont accept that

17. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Going forward Verlander's age is an issue.

His production could suddenly fall off of the cliff.

Gurriel won the AL Silver Bat for the 2021 season and dropped off in the 22 regular season, at age 39. He did put together a good 22 post-season.

Recently Scherzer signed for 40 million a year. Scherzer was 37 when he signed that contract. JV will be age 40 when he takes the hill next season. Some team will give him three years.

18. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #119 Whisky, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    And that's the problem, but it would take ALL the owners to 'collude', but I would view it as a 'business rule'.
    1) If you don't want to sign an incentive deal, go sell cars, other players will come along and we will forget all about you.
    2) I'm fine with a real good guaranteed base salary, and an 'injury bonus', but anything over 25 million is nuts.

I just think it's crazy to sign guys for 100-125-175-200 million plus, but I also know if a player doesn't get it,
    the owners keep it. My wish is that it gets spread around more, and there is no reason they cannot help
    subsidize the minor leagues more than they do (aside from they don't HAVE to)

Look at the clown San Diego signed for 250-275 million, he immediately gets hurt, and then gets
    popped for PED's and suspended, and this type of stuff seems to happen more and more with the
    high-priced jocks.
    And then we have Trevor Bauer - who MLB suspended for a year. THEN, the woman that accused
    him of everything recanted her story and said she was lying, and ALL of the evidence at the time
    said she was lying, but MLB still won't let him play.
    Go research USC football player Brian Banks, it will really piss you off.

19. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The players do not want an incentive based contract. They want long term guaranteed contracts with no trade clauses.

Juan Soto is looking for a 500 million contract. I do not see the value. Most of the long term deals do not make financial sense towards the end of the contract.

Colluding may result in a strike and or congressional hearings.

20. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    If I am an owner I don't care what the players want, I will do what is best for me and the team.

If I am a player on a team that has a 250 million dollar player I'm pissed because I 'only' make 15 million.
    Sure - you can tell me 'then go play somewhere else' - and that's my point - you can tell the 250 mill guy
    to go play somewhere else, too. I'm surprised nobody has learned, after all the duds the Yankees have paid
    BIG money to that have not produced over the last 20-25 years.

Ohtani and Judge will get BIG money because those two guys people go to the ballpark to SEE, but as I look
    at the CURRENT list of top-20 in salary, I cannot say any one of them attract me to come to a game or to
    specifically watch them on TV.
    Will Juan Soto be someone I want to actually SEE or WATCH? NOPE.

Player strike? I don't think anyone cares except maybe the owners, and even they don't care much.
    The last MLB and NFL strikes people said would kill the sport(s) - how did that work out?
    People also said steroids would kill baseball, but apparently not.

21. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Trea Turner signs a 11 year, $300 M contract with Phillies. Too many years ^^.

Judge will probably receive a 9 year offer. Judge is on the wrong side of 30.

DeGrom. Five year contract with an optional 6th year. Overpay. Mall Cop’s will receive a total of two years of production for a five+ year contract.

Verlander just inked two years at 40 years old for 86 million with an optional third year. If the Mets decline his age 43 season they will have to buy him out.

Crazy prices !

22. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Texas Forever likes this.
  23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I do not understand the long term deal for Judge. IMO, this is a huge mistake but hell -- its the Yankees so I don't give a crap. The more mistakes they make, the better.

Turner is a mixed bag. He can be great and he can also screw up at exactly the wrong time. I saw brilliance as a Dodger and also I shook my head. The Dodgers are better off without him.

24. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The owners need their heads examined to give someone a 9 year deal who is already 30 years old. Rumor - the Padres offered him 400 million to play in S.D.

Turner will be an old man at the time the contract sunsets. No way you can project elite production towards the end of the contract.

TheMayor likes this.