575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion | Page 10 | FerrariChat

575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dhalperin13, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I’m jealous. What do I do when I’m jealous?
    Hmmmm.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  2. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'll take "buy more Ferraris" for 1000, Dan.

3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I love that game….but man it feels like everything is still expensive 8-(

4. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I just did a 300mile weekend upstate in the 575m f1.... I might be getting old but it was real nice!
    I love my stick but what a great grand touring car!
    GTJOEY1314

456-boy, dhalperin13, JSP and 2 others like this.
  5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    @355michael Any updates on your conversion?

May the Horse be with you

brogenville and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  6. 355michael

355michael Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2006
    Phila Area
    Apologies for not checking in lately. My conversion is complete and from what Wil tells me its now a very fast gated 575M. The holdup has been caused by a replacement suspension ECU . I was able to locate a compatible FHP ECU but despite what all docs suggest the unit is causing suspension faults. We suspect the unit might be bad as it was a used piece. Good thing it can be returned for a full refund. I will pickup the car after new years. Will report back then.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There was no 575M FHP Shock ECU according to the tech bulletin.

8. 355michael

355michael Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2006
    Phila Area
    Taz. It was part number 205619.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I installed the same shock ecu 205619 in my 02 to replace the super soft original 183960, no codes thrown, made a HUGE difference in handling.

Hopefully you can source another good one. As per Taz, the multitude of updated ecu’s were introduced as the years progressed, not specifically for FHP.

10. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    So I rang EAG today about converting a 575m and was told the following;

1. Next availability is in March 23.
    2. To secure place need to pay $35,000 deposit of which the total job is $45,000.
    3. Takes 6 weeks.
    4. They only use the linkage cables and not the OE system.

How does this compare to Will??

Ferrari55whoa and Ffre92 like this.
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    205619 is not an FHP shock ECU and was never fitted to production 575Ms. It was a form, fit and function replacement for 201674.

Attached Files:

12. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I didn’t know they changed it to linkage cables. I wonder how different the shifting is compared to oem. My 575 is the only car I have with a rod shifter, and definitely feels different. Much meatier shift, and I can feel the subtle engine vibration. It really suits the character of the car.

brogenville likes this.
  13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The cable linkage was for the 599s, which could have a binding problem. Not a problem with the 550 or 575M with pretty much identical linkage.

14. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    They say it feels more akin to the 360/F430 feel which glides into gear without so much resistance.

My 575 was manual I remember it changed gear so much smoother than my 550 and I owned them both at the same time to compare them.

Definitely nothing wrong with the OEM setup in my opinion!

brogenville, Ferrari55whoa and Ffre92 like this.
  15. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is correct.

The torque tube on the 599 is much bigger which ultimately caused issues for the rod shifter. I am not sure how Ferrari did the 50 or so cars in OEM manual?

16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I want Art/EAG to be successful but they have a bad past and I think Dan is the only one to here that has a 575 with them and it has been there I think for 2 years this April?

I am not sure I’d give him that huge a deposit….seems risky?

If they release the kit/parts better to have the install done locally like @Chupacabra is doing with his OEM kit….?

Condor Man likes this.
  17. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #242 Ferrari55whoa, Dec 22, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Since you are in LA have you talked with GTO Engineering since I believe they have done 3 or more conversions?

From my notes:
    129439 Red
    129483 Argento @jcaspi1979
    134695 black was/is for sale 7/2022 Scottsdale Ferrari they claim the GTO conv was $55k

Condor Man likes this.
  18. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    To be honest I was a bit surprised at the upfront and it was pay now for a March slot which seemed risky to me.

Having said that, these guys are balls to the wall busy so they must be making money!

I am not 100% i like the idea of non OEM parts. Funnily enough for a 599 I wouldn't mind... but for the 575 it just seems as though the original way is better for the resale.

19. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes I spoke with Eric yesterday and he is OEM all the way, the hard part is to source the parts from a 550.

Cost it would workout to be around the same factoring in that I would not have to send the cat to TX and back.

20. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Two years? Wow!!

My shop had everything stripped and prepped in a day and we’re just waiting on the electronics and a few seals to get it all back together. So I certainly advocate what you suggest, caveat being you have to have some good help finding the right parts in the proper condition. It is also nice if said help doesn’t try to retire off of selling you the parts. I was extremely lucky there. This kind of undertaking is expensive enough!! To be honest, what set me down the path I followed was receiving a really high quote, then thinking, “Wait a minute…there’s not THAT much to this.”

From what I have seen of @brogenville ‘s work, if OEM is not that important to you, you will get very high quality stuff that’s certainly a compelling option. While I greatly prefer OEM because, deep down, I’m a purist, if there were no other way I would still have proceeded with the conversion using well-made fabbed parts. I don’t have the patience for two years though :)

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    For what it’s worth, I’ve all but finished the reproduction gear turret. Each part is interchangeable with the OEM part, so it’s really as close as you can get to OEM, except you’ll actually be able to buy one. I’ve made a completed working prototype; just needs some tolerances opened up fraction of a hair.

It is nice to get OEM parts though if you can. There’s some for sale now in the classifieds forum if anyone is keen. Pretty juicy price tag though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ffre92 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  22. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
    Interesting conversation regarding all these non-oem conversion parts that are quite different from the OEM parts when I have all the OEM factory components necessary to convert a 575 / 575 SA to a manual shift and for the same price EAG is charging for aftermarket parts that are not correct. I also have most of the parts to convert the 599 to a manual and all of the impossible to find parts :) GTO and DK Engineering, who both have done these conversions using OEM parts and insisting on OEM parts, both indicate these parts that I have are all but impossible to find. For anyone interested in converting their 575 / 575 SA or 599 to a manual, the parts are listed in the Classified Section.

Attached Files:

23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Last time i saw the pricing on their website the kit was $12k? I do see the gatedsix.com is down but their Facebook still exists.

Maybe they are increasing the kit cost?

Allegedly NormalGuySupercar’s 575 will be completed in January and the kit availability will start in earnest “shortly” thereafter…

24. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
    EAG told me (1) their 550 kit will cost $35k and (2) most bizarre IMO, their kit will not at all be like the factory OEM set up. The factory setup uses zero cables but instead the most direct shift mechanism as it uses shift rods that are connected directly to the shifter housing and thus to the shift knob to the gearbox itself, where the internal mechanism shifts the gears. With the OEM system you literally feel all of the mechanical action which in part is what makes the 550/575 the best shifting V12 Ferrari.

IMO installing an OEM shift system improves resale value whereas installing an aftermarket cable system is a different horse altogether.

25. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #250 Ferrari55whoa, Dec 23, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    I will be interested if it really is $35k when it comes out…might be fewer “takers”.

Could be why they say they are limiting to 50 kits…..;-)

Ive been interested in buying and converting but at $35k plus labor that wouldn’t happen for at least me.