599 Replacement key and programming | FerrariChat

599 Replacement key and programming

Discussion in '612/599' started by Chagrin, Sep 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chagrin

Chagrin Rookie

Mar 30, 2022
    Chester County, PA
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I'm assuming there are no alternatives other than going to the dealer for a replacement key? I called the local dealer today - they said you have to submit your driver's license, registration, and keycode card. The cost is $1,022.84 for the key plus one hour of labor for programming the key, which I'm guessing is probably around $200/hr. So all in it's ~$1,300 after tax for a replacement key. The parts dept. mentioned that if you've lost your keycode card, that's an extra $122.59.

Are there any alternatives? It seems that the F355/360/456/550/575 owners have it a bit easier, since there are services that will copy a key and clone the FOB for less than $300.

2. Fcar dreams

Fcar dreams Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Peter G
    If it’s like 612 key, which it is from the outside then any good car key place will help you out, you would be amazed what they can do and how quick they do it especially if there is another working key.
    You could get a spurious blank off eBay or Ali express . The key places have generic transponders they can code copy from your other key and hot glue inside the new blank.

brogenville likes this.
  3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Yup, the algorithms used for the key are standard across many Fiat's of the same era. As a result, there are various aftermarket tools out there that can do it, so a good key place should be able to help you out.

Fcar dreams likes this.
  4. doodja

doodja Rookie

Oct 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeff Dood
    I'm going through the exact same thing with my new 599. Identical looking keys all over ebay and amazon for a fraction of the cost. I was told the same thing from Ferrari dealer. The parts tech at my local dealer flat out said that, for security, only Ferrari factory can create the key. In fact the key code card is needed for the local dealer to log into Ferrari's computer system to order the new key from the factory. Or something along those lines. I'm not crazy about the cost, but the ultra tight security made me feel a little better about spending that much.

5. Fcar dreams

Fcar dreams Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Peter G
    This sounds more like ultra tight security within Ferrari, not allowing any factory build codes to leak out of the back door. If there is another key the code can be read outside the AD network.

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I've never tried it, but my £300 Ficom tool can program in both the transmitter and the transponder. The software developer assures me its a standard Fiat security system.