Has anyone ever used a lift like this? | FerrariChat

Has anyone ever used a lift like this?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ToddFC, Sep 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Mike Morrissey likes this.
  2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Well documented here - do a search and you’ll read for hours.

The short of it is: they work great, super convenient if you don’t have space for a full lift and want something better than jack/jack stands. I’ve found them a bit heavy/cumbersome to move around, but all around great.

3. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Yes, I have one, but have not used it on the Mondial. (I have since gotten a 2-post lift.)
    The good point is that they ARE portable and can be stood upright and hung from a wall (but they are HEAVY and hard to move around, and they snap at you). They are good for oil pan areas, and for working on the wheels/brakes, for instance.

You must make sure that they fit in the space between the front and rear wheels (e.g., do not work on some of my cars, like the MG Midget).
    Although they have small heavy duty wheels on one end, they are HEAVY HEAVY and AWKWARD to move around and position.
    The working space underneath the car is still limited. Their physical footprint seriously blocks working space -- they are only good to work on areas in the front and rear, and center section of the car.
    You have to crawl under the car from either the front or the back of the car.
    There is a whole process for setting it up.
    You CAN leave the system on the floor if you move the two toward the center so the wheels drive around them -- but, again, they are heavy and awkward to move.

If I had limited space, I would get one of the One-Post lifts that even have small heavy duty wheels to make it mobile, so that it can be moved off to a corner out of the way.
    There are others that are easier to use and stow away.

If you live near the Houston area, I will sell you mine (used only once) for $1050. ;)

4. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Got 'em, love 'em, I've posted on this, should be able to search 'quickjack'

tfos750 likes this.
  5. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  6. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks for the replies. I'm doing a little more digging now and may post back another question or two.

7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    They are made in Fillmore, CA. If you’re close I’ve heard you can make a cash deal in person.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I use mine under my Mondial all the time. I have yet to find a situation where the access is inhibited by the QJ. I would love to have a four post lift, but space doesn't allow it, so its the next best thing AFAIC. They are heavy. but I just leave them flat on the floor against the walls of the garage and I just slide them under the car when needed.

9. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Just got a set from Costco 2 weeks ago $ 1399.00 Canadian on sale. Worked great on my Portofino, they just fit underneath with the mid height blocks but I did need to figure out exactly where the lift points were before I slid them in place and then lay on the floor with a flashlight to make sure I had the positioned correctly.
    Allowed enough room to easily roll under thee car on a creeper.

Attached Files:

colorfull and Rexcat458 like this.
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    85MondialQV and Zamboniman308 like this.
  11. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    colorfull likes this.
  12. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    $1599 here in the states. I didn't even look at Costco so thanks for the tip, its still cheaper than Amazon on this one.
    From the reviews it does seem that they usually work fine... and then the occasion when it doesnt work fine, the customer service is non existent.

13. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Same brand? Quick Jack? This yours looks like it has al ittle less lift. almost seems it would be hard to drop an engine out underneath that way. Clearance? Several have said here they do though so I'm sure it works out fine.

14. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    They have two locking points. That last photo shows it on the lower lock point.
    I bought mine at home depot. It was on sale, plus they had some kind of a deal going where you got a couple of hundred bucks off if you signed up for their credit card. Ended up costing just over a thousand bucks. It was money well spent.

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    430tdf and colorfull like this.
  16. Flash2

Flash2 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 19, 2021
  17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm actually doing some work on both cars the moment, Having 2 sets of these is such a convenience, especially when the Ferrari is in the middle of a long-term project.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

430tdf and colorfull like this.
  18. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    For safety you still use Jack stands under the car once it’s lifted, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYC Fred likes this.
  19. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I put them under the car if I'm going under the car because there is no reason not to

Note though, when the car is raised, the bars get locked in to a notch, it is not held up by the hydraulics

NYC Fred and RedNeck like this.
  20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Nope, it's a physical stop. I typically depressurize the system and disconnect after lifting so I don't have hoses all over the floor.

Marcoboxer and colorfull like this.
  21. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    How do you like the wall-hanging brackets? I bought a set for mine but haven't installed them because I don't trust them. I can just imagine one giving way and the lift falling on the hood of one of my cars. So they are just laying on my floor and it would be great to no longer trip over them.

22. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I have mine on the brackets as well

Assuming you are screwing into a stud, they seem far stronger than what you need to hold them up

308inSD and RedNeck like this.
  23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I understand not trusting them, these things are pretty darn heavy. If you screw them properly into a stud, they should hold just fine. Unfortunately, I did not have a stud available so I used some heavy duty wall anchors that claim to hold 75 lbs., BUT the way I positioned them, they still rest on the floor and the brackets just kind of "keep" them in place without actually supporting any weight. I usually have a trash can in front of them, but on trash days when the can is outside, they have held just fine. I have full confidence in them. I would take a pic but that set is under my Vette.

Qavion and 308inSD like this.
  24. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    This. I don't think the bracket is really supposed to "hang" them. Rather it's a hook to hold them upright against the wall with the weight of the lift on the ground. I have them on these brackets (screwed to a stud) and they are great at keeping the lift out of the way when not in use.

25. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Hmmm, apparently they do recommend resting them on the floor for ease of handling, which is not a bad idea

That said, mine are completely secure a couple inches off the ground so the hose connectors can dangle beneath

https://www.quickjack.com/accessories/wall-hangers-set/