430 - Stub axle play | FerrariChat

430 Stub axle play

Discussion in '360/430' started by barryr, Sep 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Hello
    Does anyone have information on what the free play should be on the stb axles/flange? Right side seems to have none. Left side seems to have what may be excessive. I'm talking side to side movement. I am replacing the bearing behind the flange but I see in the parts manual there are a selection of possible different thickness shims.
    The work shop manual has "Being prepared"
    Thanks
    Barry

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

you are talking bout play from passenger side to driver side or vice versa, correct?

3. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Not really. ? It’s been a little while since I had the car up and apart. The play is drivers side. I discovered the play when I had the car apart to replace the throw out bearing. With the axles removed, I can move the mounting flange and stub axle towards the front and rear of the car. Almost like it wobbles or rocks if you exaggerate the movement. It’s is not a huge amount but I think it is too much? The passenger side has no movement.
    The bearing is pressed onto the axle shaft but just sits in the housing. I am assuming the side cover should have some small clearance or none against the outer edge of the bearing
    ?
    Barry

4. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    I replaced the diff on my Testarossa with one of Newman’s units. So I am familiar with bearing preload and backlash. The F430 has a different type of bearing from the Testarossa so preload would be different?
    Thanks
    Barry

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

6. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
  7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

next time I see my spare unit, I'll check it out for u

8. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Thanks

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If we are talking about the output flanges on the gearbox then one side does have play from new.

Stub axles at the front of the car should not have any play whatsoever - if they do then the wheel bearings are shot.

10. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Hello

Yes Mark, that is exactly what I am asking about.

Thank you

Barry

mwstewart likes this.
  11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No problem, Barry. It is due to the diff and how the output flange is supported.

12. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Well I replaced the bearing on the driver’s s side and there is substantial less play. Also no bearing growl/noise where there used to be some.
    Added bonus. The manual was correct. I changed the bearing with the transmission in the car. Did not even have to remove the exhaust. Aside from the up down up, repeat, of the quick jack when the job was done. Including draining and refilling the transaxle, it took about an hour.

mwstewart likes this.