Testarossa Price Trends | Page 294 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'm skeptical that is original paint

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7327 Steve Magnusson, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    +1 -- might be the original color, but that's had a lot of extra paintwork. We've seen many with the front spoiler and side rocker panels painted body color, but that's the first one that I can recall with the rear grill and rear exhaust grill painted body color (hard to tell if the front grill is also body color or not). More black exterior details to contrast with that beautiful color would be better IMO.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    paint looks too good

and the match with the skirts, grilles, etc looks to be dead on with no fading

4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    the paint doesn't jive well with the underside, suspension, and engine bay condition either.

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    lagunacc and stalwart like this.
  6. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Grill is black with what may be some overspray in the upper left corner next to the turn signal lens.
    Both the grill and area behind it look very clean.

Overspray visible in 105,106.

7. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Even the valve covers and plenums are in that color.

8. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    How heavy was the clutch on the Testarossa? Everyone complained about the gated shifter, until they no longer could get one. (funny, how that works) I'm more interested in the clutch/steering/gearbox feel.

Thanks

9. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    A lot of YouTube reviews make a big show of the heavy clutch but it’s really only slightly heavier than other manuals. You won’t even notice it unless you’re in a traffic jam.

jjmalez likes this.
  10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It’s much heavier then your average springy Japanese clutch but it’s only a touch heavier then your average similar era European clutch. I’ve done stop go and never had an issue. My leg has never gotten tired, sore, or anything. I actually think that the clutch is very very easy to use. I don’t notice it as being any heavier or harder to use then my old 328. I never understood the complaint people had about it being very heavy or making their legs tired? I am not extremely physically fit or anything but I’ve never had an issue. Seriously unless you have severe claudication issues you will be fine.

Yes the gearbox is very notchy… if you manhandle it it does not like it at all. I actually think it feels almost exactly the same as my old 328. Both best when warm. Do NOT let first drive impressions sway you because it changes dramatically when the gearbox is warm.

jjmalez, Greedo34 and EZORED like this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Notchy gearbox - put MTL in it

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Notchy when cold **
    It’s great warmed up

13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I have put prob 15k miles on Testarossas in Los Angeles traffic over the years, no big deal but I do bike 30 miles a day so my calf muscles are prob a little stronger than most.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  14. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Use redline 75’90 ns

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Veedub00 likes this.
  16. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    150k is a great price.

lagunacc likes this.
  17. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Clutch - just right. One of the easier classic F's to drive. If anything it's too easy.

stalwart likes this.
  18. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Sell or buy?

19. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    For the seller.

Auraraptor, JPMD, blkdiablo33 and 2 others like this.
  20. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Totally agree, haven't driven mine in a few years but did this morning, I almost find the clutch light. I've always somewhat short shifted 1-2 when cold, within 5 minutes 2nd was as easy as any gear..

21. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    #7347 Jay535, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Much heavier than your mom would expect; much lighter than you would expect.

The gated shifter is SUBLIME when warm, but requires finesse. Like every part of a TR, it rewards a careful, knowledgeable driver and punishes an ignorant one. If you’re here, you’ll probably love it.

Testarossas are very sensitive to shifter linkage adjustments. Adjustments are free and easy to make, but it takes lots of time and fiddling to get it just right, and with expectations of the shift feel so low I think many owners settle for a poorly adjusted shifter because they think it’s just supposed to feel like that.

When I bought my TR a year ago, I was expecting it to be awful to drive. I didn’t care … that was just my expectation, and I wanted the car anyways. I was so misinformed by decades of complainy auto journaists. She’s easy as can be, and her quirks only make her more interesting — never tiresome. (Ok, almost never. Three-point turns are a PITA with fat tires and no power steering.)

If cost was no object, I would certainly make her my daily driver. She’s plenty easy enough to live with. A 575 is a wonderful modern car, but to me the TR still has one foot firmly planted in the classic era, and delivers much more to an appreciative owner because of that. It isn’t only a V12 Ferrari; it’s an icon that practically defined a generation.

If you can, you must.

rumen1, Greedo34, Auraraptor and 3 others like this.
  22. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    That's very interesting. I find the gear shifting much harder than expected on my 512TR, I wonder if it is like that normally or it is the problem you describe. For an example - I never had any problems putting 2nd gear when the car is cold, but during a hard drive with a fully warmed car the last thing I can say is that it goes like "knife trough butter". I owned a 355 in the past and shifting gears was so easy it was almost day and night difference, compared to the TR.

23. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Rumen, you should get it adjusted, The shifting is the 2nd best part, next to the screaming of the v12!

dkyranakis and rumen1 like this.
  24. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    To be clear, I don't think you can ever speed-shift this car with any confidence the gears won't crunch.

Every shift is two deliberate motions: into neutral first, then feel it into gear as the synchros do their thing. I don't mean double clutching -- that isn't necessary -- but moving the lever is never one smooth movement; it's two. Feel the feedback through the lever, and send it home when you feel the resistance in the lever subside.

Driven this way, yes, knife through butter, but you won't ever be able to slam it into gear like in the movies.

This is a good example of what I meant when I said the TR rewards careful drivers and punishes ignorant ones. You can't pretend it's a Honda and get good results, but adapting to the car isn't that hard, and is very fun and rewarding if you like that kind of thing.