296 GTB Test drive impressions | Page 6 | FerrariChat

296 GTB Test drive impressions

Discussion in '296' started by ATLBond, Jul 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    But spec’d up it’s the price of a speciale

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Kmaaq

Kmaaq Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Khalid Mohammed ALQattan

Like you, I wasn’t interested in the 296 at all. Until I test drove one. The first test intrigued me. The second test had me interested in the car. The third test I got to drive it in all sort of ways for as long as I’d like and with no passenger so I was able to be fully comfortable when driving. That’s when I fell in love with the car.

soulsea likes this.
  3. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    #128 rxbg, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    the test driver who was overseeing the event was an ex racer and has been a development driver for the gen 2 R8/Huracan and now Ferrari. he said the 296 is the first R8 of Ferraris- that was the feeling i got after i drove it for an hour too (a dynamic and adaptable sports car that can be jekyll or hyde). a very nice compliment for the car (i just hope that it will be as reliable as an R8) it was a ironic that he voiced this after i'd concluded that for myself. what a perfect time fro me to make the switch to the prancing horse, lol.

i think this car will cause a shift in the prototypical Ferrari buyer- it will bring in fresh younger blood that is more focused on driving than investing and flipping.

Condor Man likes this.
  4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is correct. My car came in at $512,000.

Fortunately for those that prefer the Speciale they go buy one now and drive it.

ryalex likes this.
  5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I had a similar experience with a short drive with a copilot I was a bit Mehhhh.

Then on my own in my backyard…. I was blown away.

ryalex and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I put down deposit for GTS :D

Now 20-24 months waiting time :(

7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Likewise - was the worst experience of any Ferrari event - their track day for the 296. I actually formally complained about the 3rd party organisation who ran it. Does not change my opinion of the car though

Condor Man and Jo Sta7 like this.
  8. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Was that at the island?

9. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Yup - great place but pathetic event with "instructors" pretty much not letting you do anything.

Condor Man likes this.
  10. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OMG! That would be a dream to drive the 296 GTB at Phillip Island... Such a smooth and rewarding track.

I did Mulholland Drive in absolute anger! Goodness me.... This car is playful and batsheet fast!

ryalex and Shack like this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With the same mistake repeated as everywhere - quoting 1,470 kg as kerb weight whereas it's actually the official Ferrari figure for dry weight (the kerb weight is not officially disclosed, AFAIK).
    It's a pity journos don't care about what they write.
    It does not change the fact that the 296 is pretty impressive, though.

12. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    With the shorter wheel base, it does feel quite nimble and agile regardless of the actual weight.