Washing the TR | FerrariChat

Washing the TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Threeofnine, Sep 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    This may be a dumb question, but since soap/water easily enters the engine bay, are there any precautions I need to take when washing the car?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as long as the car is not really warm you may open the engine hood and put a big plastic on the engine. but not do this when the engine is warm

Willdief, V4NG0 and Threeofnine like this.
  3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Air hose for fine sand/gravel at the rear. Bucket and many wet towels. No garden hose.

4. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    ^ Really? You guys don’t drive in the rain?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

NYC Fred likes this.
  5. Yenko

Yenko Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Buy a "Water Deionizer" filter and always rinse your car with the water from it. It will be the best wash you have ever had. Never a water spot even if you don't dry the car.

6. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    The plastic sheet method works well for me. The only other advice I’d offer is to go for a good drive after thoroughly drying the car. Be sure to clean and dry the bottoms of the doors.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Agree, I have this one

https://crspotless.com/product/dic-20/

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Yenko likes this.
  8. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Also when drying any expensive car where you are trying to preserve the paint and not add scratches you should use a garden blower of some kind. Works fabulous fyi. I have a big heavy duty gas leaf blower and I can dry the whole car very quickly.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A moderate amount of water is no issue. There are a host of things that do not like detergent.

JLF, Basal Skull and Veedub00 like this.
  10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I always thought the best way is to wash the car before starting it, so the water can enter the engine bay when it is cold. And after you finish, take the car out for a drive, so the engine can get warm and all the water can evaporate completely.

By the way, the TR is absolutely the most hardest car to wash (or actually dry), that I've ever owned.

ago car nut likes this.
  11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Tried a leaf blower?

12. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    The Milwaukee leaf blower is honestly the best for drying. I’d put it in the “must have” category. Saves so much time and does a fantastic job.

Vermilion.Automobili and Jay535 like this.
  13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Blowers drive the water into nooks and crannies. Frequent bucket washing with many fresh towels to clean and dry. Rotate your towel to pick up the dirt rather than rubbing it in. Detailing spray helps a lot to lubricate and act as a surfactant.

Occasional clay bar - only if needed.
    Wax.

NO MICROFIBER TOWELS.

In 25 yrs of ownership, it only saw the garden hose one time…. after a trip up the alcan on a partially open flatbed trailer.

YMMV

lagunacc likes this.
  14. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I don’t really have a problem with that. The whole point is to reduce how much you touch the car. Touch equals abrasion to the paint. So limiting this as much as possible will keep the paint in perfect condition. I try not to use towels ever on the paint. I save the towels for the windows.

15. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I will buy a leaf blower and see how it goes. I have a little air compressor, that I'm using for that purpose, but will try a leaf blower for sure.

Does anybody have Paint protection film on its TR? It's my only car without PPF and I still haven't decided if I should repaint the front of the car because of the stone chips and put PPF on it or keep the original (obviously damaged) paint.

Jay535 likes this.
  16. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I have the ppf film installed because the paint on my car was perfect and wanted to keep it that way. If yours is already chipped and is the original paint I would leave it alone. More valuable kept original in my opinion.

c8spidey and rumen1 like this.
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am proud of my rock chips. I put every one there.

By the time I'm dead,with luck I will have blasted all the paint off the front of the car.

Everyone will know I had fun.

Jay535, V4NG0, Stefan328gts and 8 others like this.
  18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Original paint? Why worry about it. Car is 30 years old! Rifledriver will tell you they were touched up off the boat from shipping. These cars are far from virgins!! But very enjoyable.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    By the way. Going fast makes the chips worse so drive slow. Real slow.

UpNorth and Gary Sandberg like this.
  20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there is one of the rear deck vents that seems to dump water right into the left bank ecu (i think - something electronic), so i usually wash it hot, i never hose down the deck lid that much. i lightly spray it, and then quickly dry it, and then run the car.

21. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Check out AMMO NYC on youtube. There's some useful info here but also a lot of fear mongering about how this is done.

22. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    I use plastic over the engine, but as I am paranoid that I will screw up and forget to remove the plastic, I have a yellow coiled wire I put over the steering wheel as a reminder before I install the plastic. I also use the leaf blower drying method with detail spray.

rumen1 likes this.
  23. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    #23 Jay535, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    I have a feeling you guys aren’t going to like this…

I make no recommendations, but this is how I wash the car, with good results:
    1. Start with a cold car. Clean the wheels. I’m hooked on that stuff that turns purple. It works better than anything I’ve tried before. A few brands make it.
    2. Open the engine cover and hose down its underside, and the whole engine and engine bay, with a LOW-pressure foam sprayer attached to the garden hose. Use a brush to agitate any particularly dirty parts.
    3. Rinse off the foam from the engine cover and engine bay. LOW pressure, like a heavy rain, no more. Close the engine cover.
    4. Wash the car with the garden hose and the two-bucket method. Use the foam sprayer here too. Pay no mind to water going into the engine bay.
    5. Dry the car. I won’t tell you how. Others have made good suggestions. I haven’t found a method I love yet. I might try one of those deionizers plus a leaf blower.
    6. Open the engine bay and blow it dry it with compressed air or leaf blower, taking care to blow away the water that has filled the indentations on top of the engine block. Otherwise dirt gets left behind in those indentations when that water evaporates during the next step. The next step will make all the water go away, but there’ll be visible water spots on everything that’s black if you don’t clear away most of it with air. Deionizer to the rescue again?
    7. Drive the car until every part of it is thoroughly warmed up, including brakes.
    I am only a sample size of one, but I haven’t hurt anything yet.

66MK likes this.
  24. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    If water gets inside the engine bay trough the grills that's not a big deal. After all, it's the same if the car is left parked during a heavy rain.

Try a good ceramic coating for the wheels. You will clean them perfectly with the garden hose for 30 seconds.

Jay535 likes this.