458 - Installing stainless steel brake lines on the 458 tomorrow - advice appreciated for the install | FerrariChat

458 Installing stainless steel brake lines on the 458 tomorrow - advice appreciated for the install

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Sep 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I’m going to be installing stainless steel brake lines on my 458 tomorrow. The installation is straight forward in terms of disconnecting the stock rubber lines and replacing them with the steel lines. Where I’m uncertain and confused is how do I minimize leaking of brake fluid and prevent introduction of air into the brake system when I have the lines off the car?

I will flush my brake system after the steel lines are installed, but how do I prevent this from being a huge mess with brake fluid going everywhere and air going into the system?

Thank you

2. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    https://www.amazon.com/High-Temp-Silicone-Rubber-Tapered/dp/B00XYD2760/ref=sr_1_24?crid=3O84UOLX0SL5R&keywords=brake+line+plug&qid=1664365451&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0Ljg2IiwicXNhIjoiNC40NCIsInFzcCI6IjQuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=brake+line+plug%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-24

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I had my mechanic install SS lines on all four corners of the ‘13 spider. He did everything so I can’t help with any details of how to go about it.

One unintended consequence of doing so - it eliminates some of the sponginess in the pedal but causes the ABS to activate more frequently under hard braking (which I discovered at Watkins a few weeks back). You’ll feel it for sure.

As long as you’re prepared for it……..btw I could not discern a reduction in braking power. Just wanted to give you a heads up!

4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    While it's unlikely you'll empty the reservoir with a line clamp or plug, just make sure that it doesn't go empty on the reservoir side. A power bleeder will make the job easier on the bleeding side. Make sure to use line wrenches to avoid rounding the nuts on the lines, and be absolutely sure you don't cross thread the lines. Take your time and don't rush, believe me it gets a lot worse if you mess up the threads.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the rear setup is like the 430, you may have to remove the wheel liners to get to the connection for the steel pipe. The 430 front is easy to get to.

6. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I’ll start with the front wheels then, ha!

7. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Very interesting! Do you run CT Off or Race Mode? Was there a difference with ABS activating between the two?

8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Well, until last weekend I was running with the full monte turned off - that is ESC OFF.

That setting makes the car as lively as it can be. But…..I got a little aggressive getting back on throttle coming out of Turn 4 at Road Atlanta and spun the car (yikes!). Luckily no consequence, but after I calmed down I saw exactly what I did wrong - and bottom line is these cars can spin if you get even a bit sloppy, 570hp is a plenty of car.

I do notice with ESC OFF the car is a bit quicker when getting back to throttle, and it calms the electronic warnings when the track gets bumpy. So clearly it’s turning more of the cocoon and controls off.

I did not notice any change in ABS kicking in with manettino setting. Straight line braking (hard) will set it off (after the mod). I am curious if you will experience it.

We are deep in uncharted waters here………

And of course, I am a huge Ferrari fan and blessed to wring out a car of this caliper on the track.

9. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Wow William, you have balls of steel running ESC OFF. I run CT OFF and found the car just gets too squirly and I have to be extra cautious with ESC OFF. I’ve made CT OFF the norm because my priority is just making sure there is no CT intervention on the brakes.

Also finished up the job last night if the steel brake lines and a full flush to RBF 660 Motul fluid. Took a solid 13 hours… 12pm noon to 1am! But it’s done. Just got to Summit Point for a track day so I’ll report back my first day on the steel brake lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AD211 likes this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Interested in your experience with the new lines!

Yes, the car can get jiggly with ESC OFF, it is noticeable compared to CT OFF. I don’t know if you’ve experienced bumpy tracks. (Sebring being one), but the bumps do upset the electronics and set off the sensor alarms, which ESC OFF squelches.

Post some pics of Summit! I plan to be there in the spring, just couldn’t swing another trip up north to make the last Chin event.

11. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Just had two morning sessions. Haven’t experienced any differences in ABS. Will post any if I get it.

I’m taking some great video of Summit Point, will post it later!

mdrums, Rexcat458 and wthensler like this.
  12. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    I am also looking at replacing with steel brake lines. What caused it to take 13 hours?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Everything was just hard. Everything. Everything is torqued down by Italian robots and a decade later undoing it all….it’s just brutal. Getting off clips from the banjo, unscrewing the old lines, it’s all just hard. Grip strength wanes and then things take four times as long as they should.

Need4Spd likes this.