Lexan Rear Glass for 360 | FerrariChat

Lexan Rear Glass for 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by toussi1, Sep 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Anyone do this? Can it be done without supports? You think it will flex too much? Reason I ask, impossible to find supports. I want to do it for more cooling, and weight loss.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Has anyone ever had a lexan engine cover made for a 360 spider?

3. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I have one ready to go after I get my CS lid finished the supports are there to help but my opinion there not required

4. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Is this for a Spider?

5. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    So the support parts numbers are as follows

But we talking about $800 USD each, so $1600 for some supports assuming you can even get them, kind of crazy. So If it does end up flexing it can be fixed with some aluminum custom cut rods of about 1/8" x 1.5" by 50" drill them out and make your own thing.

To answer your question no its for MODENA/CHALLENGE/STRADALE, I believe the glass is same on all these 3.

6. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Found the pair for 800 for both

RANDY6005 and 02360spider like this.
  7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The supports are there on the factory car because otherwise the screen will actually 'bevel' inwards with the heat !

Its really not going to be rocket science to get a small flat bar of lightweight ali and bend it to the contour of the screen and spray it black to match.. doesn't have to be anywhere near as 'thick' as the original bars made from CF which I think was totally overkill and makes it harder to see out of the back window! I would reduce the thickness by half myself if re-making the stay supports...

You can also order the lexan from plastic4performance without the cutout for the 360 Challenge cooler (so its virtually identical then to the CS version then from Climacool).

-T

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

This thing got me thinking, for coupe, the glass that seperate the engine bay with the passenger compartment can be lexan too, right?

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Its totally flat so very easy to re-produce in Lexan however visibility is already compromised quite a bit using lexan vs optically better standard glass. I think it may be a step too far in terms of ability to see. It also needs to be absolutely sealed 100% or vapor fumes could allow poisonous fumes into the cabin which could make you very ill or worse. Proceed with extreme caution! I personally wouldn't think its worth it.

On the more extreme N-GT cars they seam weldeded a sheet of lightweight metal and got rid of the rear window altogether. Obviously for road purposes that wouldn't e great (it would be like driving a van! lol), I suppose you could always consider fitment of a digital rear view mirror using the latest night vision 4K camera tech. Its not going to be as good as good old fashioned mirror imho.. your getting into serious laws of diminishing returns with this one I'm afraid...

KC360 FL and RANDY6005 like this.
  10. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Thanks for input Trev,
    Thinking this version at 5mm, with vent cut outs cutting more center weight and potential less possibly flex inward with heat. Not using any supports would be ideal more visibility.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    That looks epic, love it! With the holes CNC'd into it I doubt the heat dissipation will be an issue, so fingers crossed shouldn't be an issue. Who did the cutting for you?

Love it!!! VERY F40 :)

12. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I contacted plastic4performace in the uk they had it as a option for the 430 and they said they can offer it for the 360.so now it's on there site.the image post they sent me to show how it will look.i have mine on or they said 3 weeks.only thing I didn't do was the hard coat.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

DiabloTerr likes this.
  13. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I take it your ordering one next lol it would look pretty epic on your car.

14. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    You ordering one ?

15. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Really excited about this!!!! Do you have a picture???Any info on removing the stock rear glass. Is it just glued on? Thank you very mucg, Mel

16. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I got so excited I thought you were talking about a 360 spider. Sorry. Still would like info on how the glass is removed.

17. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I know someone that has sent in a 430 spyder glass for the company to make it in lexan

Mel Spillman likes this.
  18. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    You are teasing me!!!!! Please, more info when you have a chance. Thanks, Mel

19. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    You cut it out with a glass cutting tool. Some look like razor blades and some are like a wire.

Mel Spillman likes this.
  20. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I just saved plastic4performance's website for that glass. I notice the engine bay is a bit hotter on my normal 360 since it has the challenge exhaust. Is it difficult to replace the factory glass?

21. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Anyone who has replaced the glass on the 360 modena, do you have to remove the hatch or undo any bolts to remove the glass, or do you just need a long thin razer to go around the glass area?

22. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    #22 veilstylez, Oct 28, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    Mel Spillman, JAM1, hessank and 2 others like this.
  23. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    The glass fit, but could have been 5mm taller to really fit perfect. To remove the glass its a pain in the ass, and razer won't do it. You need one of those fishing line drill systems window installers use. Visibility is LESS but acceptable. Heat is much reduced. Weight is about 40% less at 5mm thick glass. Flex is minimal so you don't need supports. Main reason to do this is to reduce your engine bay heat and perhaps save your engine parts. Water of course can get in so don't drive in the rain.

Mel Spillman likes this.
  24. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I'm in the process of installing a lexan engine cover on my 360 spider with a intake inlet at the rear. You are right, removing the glass is not easy!

RANDY6005 likes this.