New ignition system? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New ignition system?

Discussion in '206/246' started by TonyL, Jun 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Adrian
    I have found a racing department in the UK that has a King machine. I spoke to the guy on the phone and he has said it isn't a problem. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I have sent him your optimized curve graph as you seem to be happy with the results so again I am hoping he can remap the mechanical weights to this.

I'll keep you posted on progress :)

2. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Cool, good luck!

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Isn't the S127 for an 8 cylinder 308?

Freeman

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    This is a very interesting and useful thread.

Andres

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Adrian,

Sounds like I may need it !!

I plan to use the Bosch red coil 0221 119 030 (1.8ohm) with an original MM ballast resistor (1.60 ohms) and the Super 4 ignition set up in my original box.

Is there any benefit of fitting a direct 12v supply to the + coil via a relay which is energised from the starter motor coil. This would allow 12.6v onto the coil for better starting. I seem to recall reading it somewhere on Fchat but couldn't find it.

Tony

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    they used lots of different distributor for the 308 series, the S159 for the GT4 I think, the 308GTB used a SM805 (euro)

7. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    S125 is correct for the 206/246, S127 was a typo, sorry.

The Super4 is a 1:1 copy of one of the first Bosch transistor ignitions from the early seventies, there is virtually no difference to the weak output of a points and coil setup, as it just replaces the mechanical points switching against a transistor, nothing more.
    I would recommend going with a more powerful setup which delivers a long spark, such a setup really works best with the Dino engine.

The setup with the direct coil supply via relay while starting you described above was part of some of the early GT4 and GTS/GTB setups with two distributors to make starting the engines easier, especially when having a weak battery, With the change to the transitor based AEI ignition this was not required anymore,

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The more powerful setup I take it would be the Bosch conversion?

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

10. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    That one, the BSMpdi conversion or any inductive OE or retrofit setup with a 6-8A coil charge will do. If you get around 15 kV at the plug and a spark duration of >0,5-1ms then the engine will be happy.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I sent my old distributor to Initracing to test the advance curves after I had rebuilt it, I didn't fiddle with the springs, I just installed as they came.

The results came back very encouraging, I thought we were in for a rough ride but...

800rpm 0 deg
    1200rpm 2 deg
    1600rpm 6 deg
    2000rom 8 deg
    2600rpm 11 deg
    300rpm 14 deg
    3600rpm 17deg
    4000rpm 18deg
    4800rpm 21.5deg
    5800rpm 24 deg

If you add a 10 - 12 deg static then these figures are pretty much in line with the factory. I was told by the guy who does historic racing cars that these advance curves are OK for the V6 246.

He also told me to ditch the more expensive 4 spring points as these tend to wear the heel down far to quickly, the 3 spring unit is more than capable of dealing with the engine to 10,000rpm which he proved on the machine with no points bounce recorded.

They are trying to develop a different heel for these type of cars as they have had them melt on some of their racing machines !!

The Superformance parts are very poor quality and a little time was spent in cleaning things up with a fine file to make sure everything moved freely. Also the points were poorly set and had to be tweeked to make sure they sat evenly.

In all I was very impressed with the service, so any UK owners who want their distributors tested, phased and set up, then these guys are pretty damn good....and at a reasonable price.

I am yet to try the set up on the car.

Tony

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Well after several months of my new Winterburn ig system sitting in a box I finally got around to fitting it a week or so ago and gave the car a good run, I must admit I am very pleased with the unit. It behaved impeccably. It started first turn of the key after sitting idle for several months and even hot starting was immediate. Easy to install & highly recommend it.
    Tony

13. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    For me, it turned the hot-start experience from "sacrifice a chicken before turning the key" to "it just works". That ignition and a gear reduction starter transformed the car.

TonyL likes this.
  14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes, with the GR starter is a vast improvement on the old unit.

15. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    GR Doesn’t sound the same though Tony. Something nostalgic about the sound of the original slow turning. I do agree, however, that electronic ignition removes the frustration and worry of starting. One, of the few mods I would very much recommend to any Dino owner. Not to mention the avoidance of adjusting points every season. Enjoy!
    Kevin