SLS OR SLR | FerrariChat

SLS OR SLR

Discussion in 'Other German' started by GPM, Sep 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    Given a choice, would yuo trade your SLS seldom driven, for a SLR?

2. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    Nope

SLR apparently very difficult and expensive to maintain. Cool though

NewYorkLego and andyrichter like this.
  3. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    No! SLR is cool but SLS is cool too and better looking. SLS is much lower maintenance even when seldom driven.

4. cjpatel

cjpatel Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    NYC
    SLR for value, let me know if you want one for a great value for a clean car. We have one for sale from my group of friends.

SLS if you're going to actually drive it like once a month.

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I have them both. With future value aside. Car vs Car: The SLS is a MUCH better driver. I drove my SLS daily for a full year and it felt like a Mercedes to me every time. I always said the SLR drove like a Muscle Car/Hot Rod. It's loud and aggressive. Fun, but in small doses. Maintenance will be ALOT more $$ on the SLR. Look into service before you make your decision, and It's a whole different ball game with dealerships handling the SLR. Looks is preference. I think the SLR (conv.) is absolutely AMAZING. Has a bit of a Daytona Spider look to it. The SLS is not to far behind. Your call on that one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas, Mellow_Maranello and TKSA like this.
  6. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    We bought an SLS new and still have it and it’s a fantastic driving car! The handling, sound (which is incredible), and the fact that the body style has aged very gracefully now a decade later, all make it a wonderful car to own.

I love the looks of an SLR and never drove one, but we also have several other “exotics/sports cars” and I wouldn’t trade the SLS.

Here is a pic of ours which is almost the twin to Armen’s!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ag512bbi likes this.
  7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I've never owned an SLS, but I regret selling my SLR and find myself searching for another one here and there.

As someone stated above...it's like a supercar / muscle car / hot rod all wrapped up into one. It handles like it shouldn't either...it's a very unique driving experience, and the road presence is immense.

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    yes, without question :)

9. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I have owned a 722 since new , if you take the brakes out of the equation , service isn't terrible. Parts on the other are super pricey and not for the faint of heart . It does need some TLC , all the shocks have needed replacement , alternator , crank sensor etc .
    It is also incredibly uncomfortable , back breaker . I have driven it a lot and will never sell it , i love punishment

slm and Boomhauer like this.
  10. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    Never driven a SLS but yes SLR is just much cooler in my opinion. I'm sure the SLS is great and might even be "better" but it's not front engine carbon tub (there are only 3 cars with this layout One-77, LFA, and SLR) made by McLaren. I bought a blue on tan one about a year ago and absolutely love it. Not cheap to own but in my mind totally worth it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK, willcrook, Rexcat458 and 3 others like this.
  11. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    BJK likes this.
  12. RJB (holland)

RJB (holland) Karting

Apr 7, 2022
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Roel
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m looking at an SLS. It would be an addition. Any other owners (current or former) care to chime in their opinions of the car?

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Drove SLS, found it quite comfortable, composed, solidly built. Not quick. Slow gearbox. Definitely a cruiser. I liked it though. Not sure if I’ll buy.

15. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    i didn't find the SLS slow at all, its an awesome car, first year of satellite radio also, pricing on the way up, so i'd buy while you can

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon