F1 2022 - News/Regulation change/Developments | Page 28 | FerrariChat

F1 2022 - News/Regulation change/Developments

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Sep 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Active suspension could be cool from a tech point of view, but lame from a setup point of view.

More battery power and heavier cars. Exactly what NOBODY wants. Puke.

375+, fil, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  2. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I thought the Grosjean rant against Hamilton (seat belts), the Malaysia drain failure that destroyed a car, and Perez's stunned face were all very entertaining moments in the drivers meetings. Kind of like the cool down room, sometimes its boring, but it has provided some memorable moments.

3. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    There is a fascinating video put out by Mercedes on their youtube channel on the weight and size reduction of their ERS/battery system. Since 2009, the systems have become much much compact and efficient.

william likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They really aren't done are they...Every single person on the planet is begging for less weight. What does F1 do? Increase weight.

Bring back the threat of FISA.

SS454 likes this.
  5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Alonso will be pleased

jgonzalesm6, Mitch Alsup and Bas like this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    By 2026, the manufacturers are shooting for over 60% thermal efficiency. Currently all running above 50% thermal efficiency.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Hmmmmmmmm,

The only things that run at 60% TE right now are the Combined Natural Gas Electrical Power stations. A combined unit has a natural gas turbine and waste heat is used to boil water for a steam turbine.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Does F1 include battery power in their TE claims?

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I suspect they have to:: But I am left wondering the TE of absorbing energy via brakes and then emitting that energy as thrust.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've no clue...but counting the TE of battery performance combined with that of the ICE sounds a bit like cheating to me as it's not a like for like comparrisson.

11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    AMuS

There is a rumor going around in the paddock that 2 teams breached the budget cap last season. It is said to be Red Bull and Aston Martin. The FIA is supposed to make a statement in due course.

Paddock rumors say that already in the first year (2021) of the budget cap, two teams exceeded the $147.4 million limit. One of them to a considerable extent. The rumour in the paddock is that the two teams are Red Bull and Aston Martin.

Mercedes & Ferrari are told that an extra 5 million dollars in development can be the equivalent of up to half a second on the track. Those who are above the 5 million will have to reckon with harsher penalties. Possibly a points deduction and demotion in the championship.

Another option is that the money will be deducted from the budget cap in the following year. Mercedes and Ferrari think this is questionable. According to their calculations, Red Bull not only exceeded the limit in 2021, but also this season.

That might the reason why the Red Bull lightweight chassis isn‘t coming this year anymore. The costs for material and production are only added to the budget when it is used for the first time. Only the design costs are included in the budget immediately.

If it turns out that Red Bull really did spend too much money in 2021 and gained an unfair technical advantage, it would be the last straw for Mercedes after what happened with the safety car in Abu Dhabi.

Ferrari is pissed for a different reason. They believe that the extra money has then not only gone into the 2021 car, but also into the development of the 2022. Which would explain why Red Bull had such a strong start to the season..

Red Bull's rivals claim to have calculated that the upgrades to the current RB18 could not possibly be produced within the permitted budget. They themselves are hard up against the limit. Binotto said that the new Ferrari floor can‘t come anymore due to the budget cap.

Originally, nothing seemed suspicious to the FIA detectives. But there are people switching between teams and it is believed that this is why the FIA took a second look at the matter.

We hear from FIA circles that the results will be communicated next week. Allegedly, the two teams are only accused of "minor misconduct". Apparently there is room for interpretation. The competition fears that the case has been glossed over to avoid a big scandal.

The FIA is facing a severe test. The teams operating in the legal area are demanding total transparency. And drastic penalties for rule breakers. And faster processing of the test in future. Those who are only caught in October of the following year will benefit twice.

If the FIA isn‘t strict, the other teams say that the whole idea of the budget cap is pointless. The FIA, for its part, wants to avoid the worst case scenario. That would be an intervention in the 2021 World Championship standings.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gazzetta reported about the budget cap breach earlier today. It was even on the front page of Gazzetta. According to Gazzetta the rumors they have heard say that in RB‘s case it‘s 4-5mio€ spent more than allowed.

Gazzetta also reports that the rival teams want a hefty fine for Red Bull in 2023 (if they actually breached the budget cap rules by this much in 2021), with the inability to do all the development on the car.

Gazzetta says Aston Martin‘s alleged breach is rumored to be only minor (could be related to the new factory) "In addition, in March there was a notice to Williams (fined $ 25000) for having submitted financial documentation of 2021 too late, which was then delivered by May."

Attached Files:

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    - Ban RBR, sack Horner and Newey. Ferrari jump in and grab both and happy days to follow.:)

Seriously, You cannot undo knowledge gained from it so they have a lasting advantage - whatever cheating has been going on should be dealt with brutally by the FIA

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Such friendly atmosphere in F1. If true the continual point of fingers at Mercedes is even more laughable than it already is. As far as avoiding a big scandal Ferrari should be very very careful given the "SECRET" settlement with the FIA lol :)

william likes this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    "Paddock rumours"

Same paddock rumours that where 100% convinced that RBR was using flexi floors I guess.

Trial by social media, all this is.

15. DF1

Rumors and F1 press are best friends lol

william likes this.
  16. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-extends-sky-broadcast-deal-until-2029/10376570/

F1 extends Sky broadcast deal until 2029
    Formula 1 has extended its deal with Sky across its three key markets, with its exclusive broadcast rights in the United Kingdom and Ireland continuing until 2029.

By:Jake Boxall-Legge
    Sep 30, 2022, 11:38

Sky and F1 will also continue their deals in Italy and Germany until 2027, expanding upon its exclusivity in both regions with all races upon their respective Sky channels.

In the UK, Sky purchased the full broadcasting rights from the BBC for the 2012 season - although the BBC retained a highlights package until the end of 2015 when Channel 4 acquired them for 2016 and beyond.

The deal extends the pay-TV lockout of live F1 until the end of 2029 at the earliest, although the home races in each Sky territory will remain free-to-air.

17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    The Red Bull case is growing quickly in Italy ..
    Binotto and co seems really upset on this one.

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Like perhaps stripping Max of his title, and banning RB from all race results this year ? brutal ??

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He's just upset that he's let the golden opportunity they had, go to waste. Using this as a way to take the light away from his complete and utter failure this year.

20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    We will see..
    This budget cap case is not only for 2021 but for 2022 and 2023 either.

21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I was expecting something like this would happen, although I had no idea who would be caught first.

I hope it won't come to the point where previous results would be overturned.

The best solution for me, would be to issue an amnesty first, and cancel this unworkable budget cap.

The FIA made a rod for its own back with this silly legislation, IMO, and F1 suffers from it.

jgonzalesm6 and jpalmito like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    F1, as a whole, would be the first loser in that scenario. So I hope it won't happen.

jpalmito likes this.
  23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    If this is indeed proved guess they will have a substential cut in their 2023 budget ..

24. Mosin

Mosin Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #699 Mosin, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    Would it? It would be a perfect chance for them to hand the title to Lewis, the fallout from last year is still around, Merc still moan about it at almost every chance they get, Wolf was moaning about it on Skysports earlier during an interview about this subject...

If they do not punish Redbull ( If such things are true, Me personally i dont believe they are, but you never know in f1 ) then they can not enforce it, and the regulations have already been in use, which will invalidate not only this season as teams protest ( Merc most likely and Ferrari i would too given the fury on Binotto's face today...... ) that they have spent the whole season trying the best they can to stay under it while Redbull ( If true ) have blantently broken them and have a locked in advantage, what else could the FIA do for a huge big breach in its spending cap? Stop redbull from developing? A fine ( LOL rather pointless and still sets a bad precident... ) AM will likely get a fine for a minor breach... Cant give Redbull a minors punishment if they have as reported broke it by a huge margin.

If redbull get off lightly, i cant see Ferrari taking it lightly, things are already boiling as it is, if reports are to be belived from Ferraris side, Wolf certainly didnt look happy in his interview on sky, How can the FIA expect any other team to adhear to the financial regs in the future? If Merc and Ferrari over spend next year, they cant exactly punish them more than Redbull. So a point will need to be made that breaking the financial regs will not be tolarated other wise, as you said above, just remove it, but then teams will still moan and complain because they have followed them and are now being removed with an advantage already locked in for Redbull... I honestly cant see any good way out of this if the rumours are true for the FIA, its either make Redbull unhappy, or the rest of the grid...

william likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    People should move on from 2021 Abu Dhabi, and stop refering to it. It's in the past, and we cannot put the clock back.

As for the rest of your post; I hope the budget cap would disappear, in all honesty, and that all attempts at parity cease as well.
    F1 will never be a low-cost formula, and imposing financial restrictions will only encourage creative accounting, IMO.