400i price question | FerrariChat

400i price question

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by J Ingram, Sep 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    I have been a long time multiple Ferrari owner over the years. I currently own a very well sorted 1982 308 GTSi and was thinking of moving up to owning another vintage V12 model. I have looked at a few 400i models but never ended up purchasing one. Hyman LTD has a 1985 400i 5 speed for $89500. Is this the current price that these are selling? The Ferrari Market Letter price index shows a high value of around $58000. Wanted to ask the forum for advice.

2. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Mark Hyman's automotive offerings are typically top notch. A couple of reference points; (1) Donald Osborne's 400i sold on BaT for $68K (Automatic) and (2) an 87 412 5 spd was a no sale at a high bid of $85K. (3) An 82 400i 5 spd also sold on BaT for $77.5K in 2020.
    So...the market might suggest that for a very nice car in the US, the $89K level is justifiable. It should have a full history and should have had some significant work done on brake overhaul, suspension bushings, head gaskets, fuel pump rubber parts inside the tank, etc. You don't want to get into spending all the same money you would on a less expensive car. I know this part first hand (but the knowledge of the workings of the car is priceless I tell myself!). Everything should work. Everything should have been gone through.
    Then enjoy the heck out of it! Mine is an AT, but it is such a nice car to drive. And consider how much some other common cars are bringing...$89K will seem pretty reasonable in comparison.
    ...And I think the Market letter is biased...

3. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    Thank you so much for the information. I had a feeling that this amount was about right for such a pristine appearing example. My 308 was in pretty good condition when I bought it about 3 years ago, but I still had to spend a fair amount to make everything work as it should. I came close a few times to purchasing a 400i back when they were priced in the mid $40k range. But, it never materialized. I may contact Hyman Ltd to discuss a possible trade. I’ll keep the Forum posted on Image Unavailable, Please Login my progress. Thank you again.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
  5. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
  6. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Make sure to ask about the timing chain and exhaust valves, both MUST been done (eventually).

7. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I don't think this price is out of line at all given the cost of the next best thing with a Ferrari Columbo V12 - a Daytona. I have a 5-speed, Series 1 in the exact same color combination, including the tan dash which I believe is very rare (not that it really matters). It looks like this car lost its fog lights (at least I can't see them in the photos). The Euro bumpers are very cool, and the red tipped Ansa exhaust looks great.
    These cars, as you know, do benefit from being driven regularly, so sorting this one may take some coin and time if you plan to use it as intended.
    Not just because I own one, but these cars are way undervalued imho given the sound, driving experience, and build quality. Good luck in your search.

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day J,

Just a heads up that the car does not look to have a CA BAR Sticker and so registering it in CA may be extremely challenging, and/or very expensive, or may not be possible. As with all these cars a thorough PPI would be a good idea no matter how a car looked in pictures.

Cheers,

Sam

9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    J Ingram
    I am a well known poster on this forum. I am putting my 1984 400i Auto up for sale now; I am just starting to get ads organized. It has 93,000 miles because it has become so reliable with my own frequent attention to details and problem solving. I have had the car for 16 years and added 56,000 miles. Earlier years were challenging as i sorted out the car. Now it is scary how reliable it has become!! My wife and i take long weekend trips to vineyards and do touristic rallies, some 1000 mile ones. Timing chain and tensioner were done in 2014. I do a 3-month R&R every winter. I have solved most of the electrical issues these cars often have.
    You can spend less that $89K for this well maintained, reliable car. Send PN and I will send more details. (We did its last rally last weekend, so I am just organizing ads and pictures.)
    Ken

raemin likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Do yourself a favor, pay more and get a great car. They can be very expensive to put right.

As you have been told already, timing chains and valves are known issues and can be expensive. Great car but can be labor intensive so shop carefully.

11. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    Thank you to all the replies! All this information is very helpful! I forgot about the BAR sticker for California registration. I have owned other Ferraris in the past that already had it completed. I think it will be impossible to register it without it being in place. I appreciate the offer of your awesome car, SouthJersey400i. I saw your listing in the classified section. I prefer a manual transmission but I will keep an eye on your car in case that preference changes. I am aware of the great expense in making these cars right and reliable! I have a classics Rolls that I have spent probably 1/3 the purchase price making as reliable as a current modern car! I will keep the Forum posted. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #12 raemin, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    Do not dismiss the auto transmission. These are easy to customize to your driving style, do work extreemly well and are totally underrated. Most prospective buyers are looking for blue-ribot manual cars, which is not the way I would look for a car.

Test quite a few, keep the first that suits you well. I'was amazed by a Swiss white auto car (not my favourite colour) , and the one I could most easily push to the limit and overhall best handling was a 400i gen2 (which is actually the variant I appreciate the least!).

So be open minded on the colour and features, but very discerning on the maintenance.

13. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    +1 on the auto transmission.

Also, being based in the US, you have endless options with the venerable TH400. Very easy to maintain, virtually indestructible and so many upgrade options available.

The auto versions are also (believe or not) more fuel efficient :)

I think the automatic transmission suits the character of the 400/412 perfectly - haven driven both, I would never trade to an auto.

The clutch is heavy and in town driving is very involved.

By replacing the torque converter with a smaller, lighter one, and higher stall speed you can greatly change the driving characteristics.

Add a "shift kit" that can be bought for next to nothing.

My advice: Drive BOTH before buying and then decide if the manual "premium" is worth it.

14. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Nice Corniche you have there, it has the same exact transmission as the 400/412 auto.

15. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Not exactly: this transmission was custom tailored so as to add maximum overlap when shifting gear and hence allows for the smoothest transition. (even smoother than a Cadillac). By contrast the Ferrari tranny was a borg warner (made under GM license), with a custom governor, which is a far less demanding customization (not a customization actually).

16. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Both are the TH400, there are many variations with this transmission, but it is the same transmission.

Newman likes this.
  17. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The Rolls Royce TH400 was a very specific TH400, whereas the one used by Ferrari was an off-the-shelf product marginally adapted to the Ferrari.

Ferrari was buying "locally": they were using the Italian made Aspera air-conditionning compressor (made under York license) instead of York, similarly they selected the "European" Borg-Warner TH400 instead of the "US" GM TH400. By relying on this European manufacturer, they just could not source a transmission matched to the V12. The Borg-Warner 12'' converter is a poor match to a high rev engine (well it's actually the worst according to John Kilgore). They finally tried to fix this with a shorter rear axle and a (marginally) better converter, but still relied on the same transmission and slow servo.

The TH400 was a good basis, if they had done their homework like Rolls Royce, the automatic transmission would not have earned this poor reputation. (given the immense knowledge we've got online, nowadays, this is easy to fix, back then this was another story).

MikeCola likes this.
  18. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    Ha! It certainly is! Thank you for the compliment!

19. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    I actually read your listing in the classified section much closely and if I had the space and not re-doing the kitchen , I would seriously consider your car especially at the last asking price!

20. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    I bought the first 400 I saw, and didn’t bother having it inspected.
    Unsurprisingly therefore it has since cost me more than twice the purchase price to get it up to its current standard.
    Just putting it out there as a warning to others!

21. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    i suggest you go to the Bring a Trailer website and do a search on 400I. It will show you a graph with purchase price, etc. You can also check the condition of each of the cars shown to get a fair idea of a reasonable price. Obviously, there is a premium for a 5 speed over the automatic. That being said, I feel the automatic suits this car well as it is a touring car and not a sportscar. So if you are not set on a five speed, you can get a top notch automatic for less than an average 5 speed.

22. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    When will your kitchen be done? I'm not in a big hurry. Ken

23. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    Probably in about 2 weeks. Waiting on the counter tops. I'll keep you in mid for sure!

24. BertoneDino

BertoneDino Rookie

Jul 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Andrew McNally
    Did you end up going to see it?

25. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle