Cessna 152 From West Coast to Hawaii | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cessna 152 From West Coast to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GTHill, May 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And Merced is about 100 miles from the water.

RacerX_GTO likes this.
  2. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Winds always from the west, that's why the returning flights hit the stream and are an hour shorter. I've hit some pretty significant turbulence though. Just pack lots of jerky and red bull.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Man, look at that poor guy limping as he squeezes himself out. Looks like the seat is really shoved forward. At first I thought maybe 18hrs isn't terrible in a fairly roomy, modern 172, but with the way that fuel tank makes him positioned, it looks really bad. There's got to be a better method.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There is-- take the wings off and put it in a container.

Bob Parks likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #30 Rifledriver, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    I have heard of them being ferried for many years now. There must be a large price difference. And I cannot imagine one being ferried for cheap.

I know big sail boats it can be a coin toss sail or pull the stick, rigging and ship depending on a few variables. Has to be more involved than removing the wing and plugging it into a container.

6. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In a former life, I used to deal with designing packaging for a large medical product for GE Healthcare. People really under estimate how expensive packaging can be for small volume stuff. Just thinking thru the gross details: disassembly by a&p(wings, rudder, horizontal stab as container is only 8x8x40ft), make some very custom mounts for all these lose parts using a ton of wood with foam and plastic covering so that paint and aluminum isn't scuffed or dented(you'd have to probably own the container to do this, since you would need a lot of time with it), pickup, dropoff, ship, pickup, unpack, reassemble by a&p, hours of test flights? Sounds like $10k+ and time, though predictable time.

Ferrying: no idea on cost, but still time, and unpredictable due to waiting for weather.

If I'm buying a new $450K airplane, the ferrying route seems more desirable. I think there's a big risk of damage with all that assembly and transit in a container. Plus, I'm sure Cessna is less willing to honor issues once someone else does the reassembly in HI?

kylec and SAFE4NOW like this.
  7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    We hosted an owners rally on Maui several years back. We ferried the cars out of San Diego on Pasha lines, there was a 152, wings off, secured inside the ferry.
    THAT makes sense, flying and hoping for the best, not so much. Ugh.

Steve

Ak Jim and donv like this.