Help choosing next “Dream Car” | FerrariChat

Help choosing next “Dream Car”

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by griepp06, Sep 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. griepp06

griepp06 Rookie

Sep 29, 2022
    Full Name:
    christopher griepp
    New to the forum and I’ve had a number of American muscle cars over the years but nothing exotic and went to Italy in my youth and heart skipped a beat when I saw my first Ferrari and knew it was something I wanted someday. I am going down the road of starting my own insurance business and besides making my family proud and providing for my family I want something that I can stick on my wall as a reminder to work hard and at the end when my business is off the ground and flourishing I can buy what’s on the poster. Because I am not as knowledgeable I am asking you all what are the more entry level models as far as cost and cost of ownership? I’ve been looking at the 360 and the 348 but what other options should I consider as my “dream car” that will push me every day. Thanks for the help.

2. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    What's your budget? What do you value in a car (number of seats, engine characteristics, type of use, etc?). Do you work on your own cars?

3. griepp06

griepp06 Rookie

Sep 29, 2022
    Full Name:
    christopher griepp
    This isn't the today budget this is the 2 years from now budget since I figure it will take me some time to build but for my first one I am thinking $100,000 or less. whats important to me is something that I can daily drive the 30 mile round trip to the office spring summer and fall and be a 2-seater that is preferably mid-engine. I've been working on my own vehicles since I was 16 and was a mechanic for a small garage to put myself through college.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There have been a couple of $100000 budget threads recently - find them and read them then figure out which car visually and mechanically floats your boat

griepp06 likes this.
  5. griepp06

griepp06 Rookie

Sep 29, 2022
    Full Name:
    christopher griepp
    nice thank you. have they been in the general forum > Ferrari discussion (not model specific) as well?

6. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    I have a 360 but a clean 348 is sexy also. So many love the 355 more but the 348 has the cool Testarossa look which if I’m going 90’s I prefer that look. The 360 will be more forgiving as a daily driver and still would be my choice for your needs. The values of both are creeping up.

Shorn355 likes this.
  7. griepp06

griepp06 Rookie

Sep 29, 2022
    Full Name:
    christopher griepp
    I was curious what other similar model options are out there but I have been leaning towards the 360 and yes, the price increasing is one thing that worries me but if my dream was just getting a Jeep Wrangler I wouldn't push myself as hard in the building of my business. Whichever one I pick I am going to get a poster and put it on the wall right next to my desk as a way to drive me every single day I am in the office. The hope is my drive gets me to a level I can actually buy one in 2 years.

8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As others have said there is a wealth of information in various forums but based on your thread and info provided I would focus on a 360 F1.

> If you want to DD it then that tips a bit away from 348s (not that you can't - but a 360 is a better DD)
    > You might also look at 328s - IMHO they are the best combination of a fun, classic, beautiful, dependable and fairly inexpensive M/E Ferrari - I still want one :)
    > 355s (I own one) have gone crazy on values - even crazier than other models - and the maintenance costs are pretty high so I don't think you will see 355s anywhere near $100K and you need to factor in maintenance which is significant (and CANNOT be deferred)
    > 430s are likely not going to be close to a $100K car any time soon - if ever - and they should not ever be IMHO.
    > I owned a 2000 360 F1 and loved it - drove it a lot - never a problem of any significance. Maintenance is reasonable by Ferrari standards. They produced a lot of them so parts are plentiful and reasonable (by Ferrari standards) - Dealers still work on them / lots of great independents work on them as well and if you are so inclined there are some things you can do on your own with proper tools and digging into the DIY brain trust on the 360 forum (which is fantastic BTW).

Historically nice but driven 360 Modena F1s were either side of $100K depending on spec, history etc. - Spiders were around $10-15K more. The market is a bit crazy right now but it will calm down - not "crash" but calm down and personally I think in a couple of years you can have a reasonably attainable goal of getting into a 360 F1 for somewhere around $100K and that would be my recommendation FWIW.

Cheers and good luck - The chase and never-ending education is a major part of Ferrari ownership :)

griepp06 likes this.
  9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    FWIW I had and still have the poster of my Giallo 355 GTS from when it was just a dream with tape and push-pin marks from all the times I moved it around - Now the poster is framed and the car is in my garage - Keep the dream man :) :)

griepp06 likes this.
  10. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    The Ferrari 360 Modena was always my dream Ferrari when I was young which is why I bought it as my first. I love the car personally.

11. griepp06

griepp06 Rookie

Sep 29, 2022
    Full Name:
    christopher griepp
    what were the common service items on the 360 and the average cost of them per year in your opinion?

12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    360, 360, 360, 360.

13. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    I don’t drive my car very much and I haven’t had it for a very long time either but my assumption would be that the public probably blows the maintenance issue up more than reality. The belt service every three years for 3500 puts people off? 3500 dollars every three years is not an issue for me at all but I guess for some it is. The F1 clutch life can go last for many years. I just simply love Ferrari’s and I would rather have this in my garage than any sports car made by Audi. BMW or Benz etc that most own and spend on outside of warranty also.