Seeking opinions about not letting my niece drive one of my Fcars | FerrariChat

Seeking opinions about not letting my niece drive one of my Fcars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by spiraljeff, Sep 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiraljeff

spiraljeff Rookie

Aug 20, 2017
    Mill Valley, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jeff Neugebauer
    I'd like your opinions about not letting my niece drive one of my Fcars. So here's the situation: My brother and his family came to visit and they only visit once every 5 years-ish. I let my brother drive my 488 but my wife was upset about it. I told her "it's my brother". What else could I have done? If I didn't let him drive it I'd feel like a total ******. Afterwards, my brother mentioned that it would be really cool if his daughter could drive a Ferrari (either the 488 or the Portofino M) for bragging rights. He said just 4 feet would be enough. She is 15 and has her permit. I took her for a ride in both cars, hit triple digits, and she loved it, but I didn't let her "drive" either car. My brother and family flew back home and now I feel totally awful for not letting my niece drive 4 feet. What would you guys have done? or what would you do now in my situation?

rampante550 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Let her drive it...........
    If she is willing to accept full liability.
    She's in the drivers seat and someone hits the car, even if parked, will the driver take responsibility.

3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I’d store it in my memory bank and revisit in 2027 when they come back and she’s a licensed 20 year old driver. At that point give her a ft for every year old. 20ft will do :)

4. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It’s only a car and the probability of her damaging it under supervision seems low. I say go for it!

HotShoe and VAF84 like this.
  5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    You can get a drivers license at 15 in California? Or did she have a learners permit…if learns permit NO i would not in fact it may violate your insurance ..If she has a drivers license maybe if it would mean a lot to her and she is responsible

6. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You made the right decision, don't worry about it.

Doug., rampante550 and AD211 like this.
  7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    15? Nope.

AD211 and tomc like this.
  8. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Tough situation. I still think about a time when I was working with a friend on a home project. His wife wanted to borrow my truck to pick up some drywall. I said NO..., felt bad, but NO. The Ferrari isn't a carnival ride.

9. realwhiz

realwhiz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2021
    La Cañada CA
    Full Name:
    Ara Minassian
    I let my both kids 18/19 year old's drive my very first ferrari (488 spider) which I got this last year at the age of 56. Life is short, I think those are moments that will be cherished for a lifetime and for the small amount of risk, I think it's worth it. I could have only wished that my dad had the opportunity to give me that same senerio, I would have felt like a king. I know it's your niece, a bit different but I still think it's a good move and the next time she's out, you give the chance to drive it a block to make up for it. She will remember that for the rest of her life!

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would have let her drive it if you are in a small community with little to no traffic.

11. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    4 feet in your driveway? I would have let her do it.

HotShoe, VAF84 and paulchua like this.
  12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You did the right thing.

Doug. likes this.
  13. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    I let my niece (when she was 16) drive my (previous) 360 in our neighborhood. She did well with the 6-speed and all was great until she floored it and hit ~75mph on a straight stretch w/limited houses! I taught all of my kids to drive stick in my previous 355 & 360 -- mostly on track, too. They're just cars, life's short and the memories will last their lifetime.

absostone and VAF84 like this.
  14. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    A few years ago one of my wife's good friends came to visit and he and his family were really interested in my 458. I took the husband for a quick 20 minute drive (10 me, 10 him). The same with his wife. They asked if there was any way their 15 year old son (with permit) could drive around our driveway. He and I went on a drive around our neighborhood at a safe 35mph, with his parents in one of our other cars filming the entire thing. Made my day, made his year.

Later, my 18 year old nephew (with license) was visiting. We took the 458 to Cars and Coffee and a spirited drive, but I was never tempted to offer him the driver's seat and he never asked. You just have to go with how you feel.

15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    This seems like an easy question to answer, NO , NOT EVER, NOT EVER EVER EVER, good grief . And while your at it , tell who ever the **** asks, the same thing.

Big G

16. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Find a big parking lot- let her drive it- No traffic- nothing to hit- no liability for her to hit someone and no risk of someone hitting her. Take the Porto- top down- take a video of her driving- She will have a blast showing her friends.

Beauty of having a car like thar is watching other people take part in the thrill- albeit with managed risk.

Public road- No way.

Cheers :cool:

jcurry, carguyjohn350 and Andynyc like this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The vast majority of 15 year olds never even get to sit in a Ferrari and she got a triple digit ride in one. She's already lucky if you think about it so don't sweat it. But maybe I would have let her drive it just because my wife told me no!

Doug., rampante550 and 020147 like this.
  18. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Took my grandson out for his first behind the wheel experience in the DB7. He still talks about it...

rob5819 likes this.
  19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    No right answer but…
    I let a kid sit in my Lambo years ago and rev the engine. Well, he pretty much red lined it, and of course, I was pretty shocked by that. You just never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Does she actually know how to drive? If so, I’d likely have let her move the car a little under power, in a controlled sort of environment, cul-de-sac etc., not out in traffic. Kinda depends on the niece, you know? I would have been over the moon had someone let me do just that little bit at that age.

I have a 17 y/o nephew who regularly texts asking if he could “borrow a fun car’’ for some event or other with his friends…he’s a good kid, but yeah, no. Same answer every time, but he still tries.

21. RossoCorsa22

RossoCorsa22 Karting

May 11, 2022
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kareem
    Personally, I would have let her drive it in a parking lot, for sure. What an experience that would be for her! Not on public roads unless you're somewhere with very little traffic.

I mean, I let my 18 y/o half sister fly my airplane and she hasn't a clue how to fly, but does a better job of holding an altitude and course than I usually do, even with 10,000+ hours of flight time in my logbook. So you never know ... Your niece might drive your Ferrari better than you

22. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I just tell EVERYBODY no, insurance won't cover them. Want to borrow my pickup or daily driver fine, but not the Ferraris of my classic cars, to hard to replace.

23. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    My insurance has a stipulated clause regarding that issue and it expressly excludes family members by name who have had accidents before in other cars years ago. It has only two named drivers, myself and my wife. I think they research everything before underwriting the policy. I have however let others drive it with me in the passenger seat under controlled conditions for short drives. FWIW.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's a hard call since some 15-year-olds I would trust with my life, while others I wouldn't even trust with a pair of scissors. Whatever your choice, make sure it's 100% covered by insurance.

25. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I would have let her. I let the 15 year old son of some good friends of ours drive my F430 around the block of their neighborhood with me in the passenger seat. Wide streets, little to no traffic. He had his learners permit. We just cruised around the block at 0-30mph, let him shift to second gear in the F1. He absolutely loved it, and I wasn't too concerned.

I was actually using it as a way to prepare him to learn to drive a manual. Their parents got him a manual 3-series, and it was up to me and our friend to teach him. The F1 was a nice segway into it.

Ultimately it depends on the person you're going to let drive. I hesitate way more with my sister who's a year younger than me, because she has a history of getting her cars wrecked.

absostone and rob5819 like this.