Budget Cap Enforcement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Budget Cap Enforcement

Discussion in 'F1' started by Temerian, Sep 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The week upcoming, the FIA will announce their findings. Mercedes is not the only team on the grid with a mouthpiece lol. As you saw in my post there are others not very pleased with rule breaking...............

surfwolf and cmos like this.
  2. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    I don't usually agree with Wolff, but this statement is bang on.
    If Red Bull cheated on budget cap last year, that means they cheated on this years car too and it just accumulates forward.

Everyone and their grandma knew that the Max/RB stans comments about how Red Bull is just so efficient with parts, was total bs. I've known since testing that Marko and his goons have cheated with budget.

If evidence is found to be true, they should be DQ'd from both 2021 & 2022 championships. But justice is never done in this sport.

surfwolf, Terra and kandi like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Excluding the best team on the grid then ? Red Bull may as well pack up completely and leave F1.

There is already a prospective buyer: Andretti Global.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

surfwolf and Terra like this.
  4. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I agree that teams should be vocal about it, it just wasn't my point. Binotto has been talking about it for awhile now, and there is nothing to suggest Ferrari have been cheating the cap.

cmos likes this.
  5. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    You aren't the best if you cheat to achieve it

6. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I don't think you could ever penalize seasons that have already been finalized. It's pretty sad that they are only now concluding their "audits" for 2021, when 2022 is nearly over. They need to be far far more up to date with the current season. It's almost as if the FIA implemented a budget cap before ever coming up with ideas on how to police it. What a shock.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. If anyone wants proof at how ridiculously faulty this system is, teams can actually create anything they damn please. They can recreate 100 different floors, but so long none of these see any official track time, they won't actually count a single penny towards the budget! So not even the 60KM of carbon fibre ordered to create these will count, all a write off...Imagine policing that? Virtually impossible.

Anyone surprised this got wind today? Red Bull have netflix in their garage...Toto the windbag never shuts the **** up he loves the sound of his own voice so much. Yet another opportunity for him to deflect away from his own **** season. He's begging for any of his accusations to stick.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So...Ferrari best pack their bags as well then seeing 2019 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mercedes for their Pirelli tyre test. Bye!

Mclaren for their cheating scandal 2007. Adios Amigos!

Renault for their mass damper, bon voyage!

On the plus side, Lewis has no titles.

On the bad side, there's 2 teams left.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's a moot point. Red Bull may have infringed the financial constraints, but delivered the best car on the grid and operated it with success on the track. I think the budget cap notion is like an elastic band: you can stretch it, but only up to a point. Also in business in general, it's very difficult to partition the spending from one year to another.

10. DF1

Ferrari joins Wolff over Red Bull: 'We expect transparency'

GPblog.com

Red Bull Racing may have exceeded its budget cap in 2021, and that news is coming in for considerable criticism of the team. Ferrari chief Laurent Mekies joins Toto Wolff's statements in demanding seriousness and transparency from the FIA.

The budget cap was created in F1 to make the competition between the ten teams a bit fairer. The spending of the big teams like Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari has been severely restricted by this measure. However, it is alleged that Red Bull went over the limit with its spending last year, in the year Max Verstappen became world champion. The other teams immediately condemn the alleged crime.

Ferrari joins appeal Wolff

Ferrari engineer Mekies is also outspoken about the allegations made against Red Bull. Speaking to Sky Sports F1, he says: "We take this situation very seriously. We expect resolute action from the FIA. We trust the organisation hundred per cent because it has gained a strong position in recent months. We expect severity in this matter and transparency so that we can compete with each other and the same rules apply to everyone."

Mekies thus demands that the matter be investigated and does not think Red Bull can get off with a warning. Mekies: "The consequences are huge. We need to establish it first, but then it is important to find out what the consequences have been for 2021, 2022 and even for 2023."Mekies concluded the conversation by reiterating his demand that the FIA take this matter extremely seriously.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    1. Hear a rumour
    2. Immediately blame Red Bull and assume it’s 100% true
    3. Ignore any valid counter arguments
    4. Blame the “corrupt” FIA

12. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    Moot point, to whom, you? Easy to deliver things when u have an illegal advantage.
    It's the same as you taking an exam with a notebook and others have to do it without. If a rule is "elastic", it has no meaning, it's just horsesh*te at that point.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    For me that rule has no meaning. The sooner it disappears, the better, IMO.

The FIA obsession with parity will lead to F1 becoming a specs series.

jpalmito likes this.
  14. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #39 kandi, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    Why worry, if it comes true that they cheated on the most fundamental rule in new regulations :D

Ben Johnson was also disqualified and lost WR and Olympic gold, because he cheated (he used steroids to prep yourself to be the fastest man on the "grid")
    So was it really "excluding of the best sprinter" then?

"Legendary" cyclist, Lance also comes to mind ... How he managed to not get caught for so many years? Amazing. A lobby to not exclude "the best cyclist out there" ?

F1 is also considered a sport. And the most fundamental rule of sport is fair-play. If it's not fair, then it's not a sport discipline, but arranged cheating.

surfwolf likes this.
  15. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    I can't imagine FIA retroactively stripping Max of the 2021 title. Maybe constructor points deducted and the 2nd place money redistributed. If they do strip him of the title they should do as the Tour de France and have no winner for 2021.

16. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #41 kandi, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    Budget cap is a major rule because nobody wanted Mercedes domination to last another 10 years LOL. And now what? Budget cap does not matter?;P

It RedBull was indeed cheating over the development budget, then the 2021 WDC title undeniably comes to Lewis, WCC not changes because Merc-AMG won WCC anyway.

surfwolf likes this.
  17. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    There is no way in hell that Mercedes are not well over the budget cap themselves this year.

They have changed front and rear wings and floors so many times, I've lost count. Not to mention their B-car in Bahrain and two different sidepod concepts, plus several suspension updates as well. I don't care what magic they worked, it's obvious they're spending a ton of money in development other teams aren't.

Ferrari didn't do a B-car and the only major updates were Barcelona and Silverstone. They have every right to raise hell over this.

stavura, Giallo 550, jpalmito and 2 others like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Personally I think the budget cap has no place in F1; so I have no interest in any sanction for transgressors.

Foremost, F1 ceased to be a sport long time ago; now it's an entertainment business, together with an engineering contest.

F1 followers should be enjoying the show, IMO, and not take side about silly rules.

Kimi2007 likes this.
  19. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    That's not happening.

It's obvious that both Red Bull and Mercedes went over the budget cap. The latter simply have better accountants to hide, I suppose.

werewolf likes this.
  20. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    Budget caps are idiotic across the racing series, IMO.

Racing is expensive and the best designs aren't cheap. If you can't handle that, you shouldn't be racing.

Bas and william like this.
  21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Every team over the budget cap should loose 100% of the point accumulated that year. It is the only FAIR way to enforce the cap.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

My opinion is that adjudicating and penalising teams and drivers is becoming so important in F1 that it detracts from following it in the first place. Most people want to watch the racing and not be fed all the time with gossips about potential transgressions, whispers about who's cheating or not, nor penalties inflicted for trivial misdemeanours, some of them not even related to racing.
    The FIA should be interesting in racing, instead of becoming a court of law. The less rules, the better !
    F1 is becoming so complex to understand and almost impossible to explain to the layman that, I fear it will lose its audience before long.

23. DF1

Why should they leave lol?? If true they did this to themselves! Leaving does nothing. True champions stay and fight again. RedBull are true champions sticking it to the non drinks makers lol :) :)

Andretti does not have the money RedBull owners would demand. Even if true the FIA and LIBERTY would not penalize them in such a way to have the Masi awarded Title team leave.lol :)

They will pay a fine and defer to some written statement released to the press and on SKY state on camera via Horner its over, and the sport should move on celebrate a great year for the new rules and how supreme Max and his new driving style are working!! If any of this is true or we ever really know what is at all!!

24. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    I've defended Red Bull at times, but this time they stepped in it.

I've also criticized Binotto a lot, but he's been vindicated. And think about this: Red Bull did less development on their car last year, so just imagine how massively they breached the budget this year. It would not surprised me if Red Bull went $12 million over the budget this year.

Horner (fairly) called out Ferrari for cheating in the summer of 19', and the team still get reminded of it. So, fair is fair, Red Bull deserve to be crucified for being cheating the budget cap.

And Toto should shut his damn mouth. Mercedes have done even more development this than Red Bull, and it's obvious they're cheating this year too. I hope they get exposed next.

$140 for a racing season is a joke in F1. They need to either raise the cap, or get rid of it.

Giallo 550 and jpalmito like this.
  25. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    This is a lesson not only for Ferrari, but the rest of the grid: ignore the budget cap. It won't be enforced in a meaningful way, so just push on with your development.

If I'm Ferrari, I bring every design concept and change David Sanchez, Rory Byrne, and Cardile, come up with next year, from the first test in Bahrain, to the last race in Abu Dhabi, and dare the FIA to say something about it.

Newey and Allison certainly will, unless the FIA has some sort of plan to monitor development beyond "we'll call you naughty boys one year later!"

DF1 likes this.