488 - Blown Up Turbo | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Blown Up Turbo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by beachedferrari, Sep 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #51 SAFE4NOW, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Same with Ferrari, after the fact, there are still digital flags that don't go away even after the software / hardware is removed. Part of the process currently in place is that every Ferrari regardless of why its in the shop, gets scanned in upon arrival and scanned out when everything is done, the factory knows a lot about their cars.

Since Ferrari started the 7 year service program in 2012, we see 85% of the cars in our market coming in at least once a year for their free annuals.

Add to it the warranty extensions and New Power Warranty options up to 18 years... clients are staying in the Dealership network more than they are not.
    ( There are always a few that don't )

S

mdrums and Headsuppassinglft like this.
  2. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    That statement is only 50% correct. If the problem is with the "hot side" of the turbocharger, shrapnel will be expelled through the exhaust pipe, leaving the intake ductwork alone.

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. Carsmith

Carsmith Rookie

Jun 2, 2005
    Palm Beach
    Guys, DME,and every other "Tuning House" outside of Ferrari are asking you to take a risk on their Product.
    There are over 200 Engineers at Ferrari whose job it is to test & retest their Engine and Turbocharging componentry. THAT'S the level of expertise Ferrari put into their cars.THAT'S what Ferrari Warrant.
    Want to go faster than a 488 GTB PISTA? Buy another Car.After you're skills are past the Ferrari's competency. Get it?

4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Funny how most guys think some aftermarket mod place with some kids can true a Ferrari to run better ….over the long haul. There might be 1 or 2 real pros with real training and years of experience in tuning a Ferrari out there. The main thing to keep in mind is EVERYTHING is designed to work together with no or very minimal problems. To get more power out of the car reliably over the full rpm range the entire engine internals, turbos, exhaust, how the transmission shifts etc needs to be addressed.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Google Napier turbochargers in the uk, 357 model. This is a dry blower we used on some MAK ships diesel engines. Interesting point is that it has no water cooling, only a bearing oil supply from the engine. The MAK engine has no water cooling jacket on the liners, only on the cylinder heads. Liners and pistons cooled by oil. They pump oil up the conrod into the piston crown and it then drops out of the piston.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As any jet engine and gas turbine tech will tell you, oil is the best cooling liquid there is. A truth with modifications, but still.

I always get a laugh out of it when people talk about old Porsches not being liquid cooled. Yeah sure, no water, it's all air right? Nope. Reality is that those engines are oil cooled. The amount of oil sloshing about in there is quite astonishing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Napoli and mdrums like this.
  7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Yes.. why else does the 296GTB have a heat shield over the turbos rather than the see-through view the rest of the engine bay receives...HEAT

8. beachedferrari

beachedferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mike Ferrari
    Got the news back today. This was actually the right-side turbo that failed so maybe I am not the norm of the left side. The hot side impeller is most likely still sitting on the highway somewhere. The intake side stayed together so does not look like any damage to the intercooler. And does not look like any motor damage. Waiting on a few gaskets from Italy and we should have it back together. Huge shout out to Rosso Service in Maryland for getting me quickly and taking great care of the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Good to know.

Regarding where the " missing " turbine went, PLEASE make sure the shop inspects the exhaust system and locates those parts.
    My money would be that they or it are resting in the inlet side of the catalytic converter ,which would lead to much more expensive repairs down the road if not removed / addressed.

Thank you for sharing the update!

S

10. beachedferrari

beachedferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mike Ferrari
    I'd agree except mine has catless mids with an x pipe. Free flowing for the pieces to shoot the car behind me.

turbokraft, SD455TA, RayJohns and 4 others like this.
  11. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Does the 488 use a variable vane turbo? If so, it sounds like the drive pressure ratio is being exceeded. I’m going to leave my 488 alone, it still walks the dog on my hot tuned twin turbo diesel which is enough for me.

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It does. This is my thoughts too. Too much back pressure and too much heat.

020147 likes this.
  13. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    Any update here? How are the Pure turbos working out for you? How does the car drive with the update turbos? I am very interested to know.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SVR likes this.
  14. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    These tuners never ever seem to get these turbo cars right. The ONLY tuner i've ever seen and heard which are super reliable are VF Engineering. I know 3 or 4 people who have there cars done and are all 20k miles or more deep without any issues whatsoever. I know many others who have used other shops and all have the exact same result as the OP. There is a very very fine line between just right and too much. And most of these guys dont have the money for proper R&D and hence the results the OP has.

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I would tend to echo these sentiments. Today, it seems like a lot of people are just bolting on turbos and turning them up to 1.5 BAR just to see what peak HP they can create, all with no real eye towards long term sustainability; the heat it generates; nor the stresses it puts the motor under. Sure, you can make 800 HP from a 4 cylinder with enough pressure and fuel, but can you drive it from CA to NY without it melting a piston or blowing a head gasket?

I remember back years ago when Toyota was racing in one of the circuits (2.5 trans am maybe) and they literally had their 2.0 liter motors so wound up that they would blow on the cool down lap after the race ended. It was a super fine line between finishing the race and blowing the motor on the last lap. It can be done, but for how long?

Also, I'm wondering if all these people building turbo cars these days have actually ever read any books on forced induction fundamentals / theory or if they just are bolting turbos on and hoping for the best - because that's what someone on YouTube with a dyno did.

Ray

mdrums likes this.
  16. beachedferrari

beachedferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mike Ferrari
    So far so good. We've done a few rallies since getting it back together. Fighting some brake issues right now though.

SVR and emmholla like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What kind of brake issues?

18. beachedferrari

beachedferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mike Ferrari
    Been fighting what feels like air in the system for the last 6 months. Bleed the brakes and 1,500 miles later its back.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Perhaps try a set of HEL braided hoses for a start? Best hoses on the market and pretty cheap. Let me know if you are interested. I have them on both the 488 and Pista and can get you in direct contact with HEL Performance.

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Look up a video on compressor surge on a big marine unit, now that will give you brown shorts

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You dont actually get any metal to metal contact unless the thrust bearing fails, if the thrust is ok you will maintain the clearance between the turbine and nozzle ring- also the compressor to its casing. Once the thrust face gets any damage it will wear away and your clearance goes to nothing and then it starts tearing itself to bits

22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I worked on an MAK marine diesel , turbo output of 3.7 bar at full chat. Heavy duty ear protectors