458 - Check your left and right cat support bracket bushings on the 458 - just replaced mine *photos* | FerrariChat

458 Check your left and right cat support bracket bushings on the 458 - just replaced mine *photos*

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Sep 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Checked my cat support hanger bushings and they were just destroyed. The rubber was basically gone. This is not an item that is inspected during normal service but should be. The bushings themselves can’t be replaced, you have to replace the whole mount bracket which has the bushings integrated. I replaced both the left and right side.

The part numbers for the left and right are: 260561 and 26056. Fairly inexpensive, only about $125 or so for each bracket. No hardware necessary because you reuse what’s already on the car.

My guess is most 458’s with over 20k miles probably have fairly worn bushings and should be replaced. Photos of my engine bay I took revealed the worn bushings were present before I started heavily tracking my car!

It took me about 3 hours to do the job to swap the old for the new. They’re easily accessible and visible if you takeoff the left and right engine shields. If anyone actually does buy new brackets and wants to replace them, I can help walk you through the install job.

Here are some photos…you can clearly see the old bracket/bushings and new one:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dom458

Dom458 Rookie

Apr 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I see the finished quality of your new ones is just as bad as it was for mine. I decided to flat back and refinish in high temp matte paint pre install. I did the brackets they mount to at the same time to make a nice neat job of it.

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Mine surely are toast and will replace when I put the 200 cel cats in later this fall. When you track a car so heavily it’s almost impossible to stay on top of things. And this is just normal (but highly accelerated) maintenance, nothing has really broken on my car yet.

4. Dom458

Dom458 Rookie

Apr 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Noticed you have a bolt missing there from your right hand side one?

5. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Yep, that bolt was dropped deep into the bowels of the car never to be seen or heard from again.

Trying to find a replacement bolt and Dealer is telling me they are discontinued and unable to be ordered even from Italy, which I find hard to believe.

6. Dom458

Dom458 Rookie

Apr 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Oh. They supplied me 6 new ones but they came in zinc finish so I painted them black along with the brackets.

part number 11627824

I dropped a bolt and washed too, but it was those damn fiddly little cap screws that hold the heat shields in place. I couldn’t leave them in the pan, so took the diffuser off and located them lol.

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I also had to replaced my cat hangars. I did a writeup on it in the thread geared towards doing your own maintenance on your 458.
    If you haven't sourced a bolt yet, I probably have my old one lying around (I can look for it if you want). I decided to get all new hardware since it only added a few bucks to the cost of the job. If you need it, PM me and I can throw it in the mail for you.

8. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    Looks like I'll need to tackle this job soon. I just checked and the bushings on both sides are torn.

Question for those who have done the job, are the nuts for the 3 bolts that attach the bracket to the cross member welded in place? I couldn't feel them or access them and don't want to lose them, especially since they appear to be NLA... Thanks!

9. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    They are not welded in place. They’re definitely torqued down, but not welded and easily removable with a socket.

10. Dom458

Dom458 Rookie

Apr 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    There are steel brackets mounted to the alloy frame and they have captive nuts (well regular nuts welded to them). The exhaust brackets bolt down to them.

I decided to remove the lot so I could get the brackets stripped and then refinished them in a VHT matte paint. New cat mount brackets (also stripped and refinished), plus new hardware also redone in same paint. All back together it looks pleasingly factory fresh.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rexcat458 likes this.
  11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, they are welded in, so there's no fear of losing the nut once you remove the bolt.

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't think he was talking about the bolt that you remove. He was asking about the nut that the bolt goes into, and that part is welded to the back of the bracket.

13. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    Yes, correct. I typed it late last night, I'm sorry if it didn't come out right.

Thanks for your help, parts ordered!

One more question - does the cat need to be supported once the bracket is removed in order to be able to install the replacement?

14. Dom458

Dom458 Rookie

Apr 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Mine stayed roughly still. Some light persuasion to move them up to the new tighter position, but easy enough and fair access.

Main agro is the tiny cap head bolts and washers that hold the heat shields! They are a swine and easily dropped.

ilko likes this.
  15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes the cats will stay put, no need to support them. It's a very easy job, other than having to fight with the shields, and the tiny cap head screw holding it on (as Dom458 mentioned as well). You pretty much have to remove those before you can wiggle the bracket out, and it has to be done by feel. Be careful not to drop them! My recommendation is to get all new hardware. It's only a few extra dollars, and you will have new/extra parts. If something falls, it will be almost impossible to retrieve it.

ilko likes this.