Best gasoline for Ferrari cross-country trip | FerrariChat

Best gasoline for Ferrari cross-country trip

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rf355AU, Sep 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rf355AU

Rf355AU Rookie

Mar 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Regan James
    Hi all,

In about a week I'll be embarking upon a 1,400 mile trip from Texas to Pennsylvania in my new F355.

Being new to the US, I'd love to hear which gas you recommend, and which to stay away from. Given the paltry fuel economy of the F355, I'll essentially be planning my route by gas station.

In Australia, Shell has a good reputation. Is it the same here in the US? Which others should I aim for, and which should I avoid?

I want to put the best, most suitable, highest quality fuel in my car.

Any other tips also welcomed for my long voyage.

Thanks in advance.

gt1995 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Look for stations saying they sell “Top Tier” gasoline. Top Tier is an additive performance specification set out by several car companies for the gasoline manufacturers to achieve.

Chevron was the first to achieve the specification with their “Techron” additive. Most others now are also Top Tier, either licensing Techron or doing it some other way.

3. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd use Chevron fuel.... and pay the extra for it.
    I have never got a bad tank of gas from a Chevron station. Can't say the same for others.... including a local Shell station.

Rf355AU likes this.
  4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My 355 loves Shell and that has been her fuel 99% of the time I've had her- 11 years.

I put Valero in at one point in a pinch and during the time she was running on Valero I had a brief CAT temp SDL flash- Dealer checked it and suggested bad gas- filled with Shell and no more issues. Could have just been coincidence since she had been sitting for a while as well.

Go with Shell or any "Top Tier" fuel as the other member suggested- We don't have a lot of Chevron stations in Colorado but thar post was certainly interesting.

Beautiful car and glad to see you driving and enjoying it- Cheers :cool:

Rf355AU likes this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Go to VP racing, and put in 101 at the pump, Its the best gas your going to get. In a previous post I thought it did not have ethanol, but it does. In any event, I use it in my 89 328 ,and the results are good . Have a great trip, watch out for the people talking on their phones , and not paying attention.

Big G

Rf355AU likes this.
  6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Another tip that was told to me is if you see a tanker at a gas station filling the tanks don't get gas there. I always thought this would be the best time to fill up as fresh gas is going in but it was explained to me that it is the opposite because as they are filling the tanks it stirs up sediment from the bottom of the tanks.
    Have a safe trip and enjoy!!

7. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    FWIW, I have driven my Maranello over 100k miles in 45 States and other than using "Premium" gas, have never had an issue related to brand of gasoline.

Scott98, VAF84, 020147 and 4 others like this.
  8. Rf355AU

Rf355AU Rookie

Mar 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Regan James
    Awesome! Thanks.

9. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Almost all gas regardless of brand is refined in the same place regionally. The difference is the additive package which is added when the truck is filled.

The biggest thing i look for is finding a well maintained and relatively new station where hopefully the condition of the underground tanks are in better condition although not guaranteed. Whenever possible nice to find non ethanol gas but many cases that won't be an option. Get the best looking premium you can find and enjoy.

020147, JCR, Rf355AU and 1 other person like this.
  10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Most major brands are fine. Just watch out for the small mom-and-pop type place with 2 pumps.

tomc and Rf355AU like this.
  11. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    He's not going to find VP race gas at the pump driving through multiple states. And there is no need for 101 octane fuel in a stock street car.

INTMD8, 020147, Zanny1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    As said above, it really doesn’t matter, just get premium from a descent looking gas station and you will be fine. If you want to be superstitious fill up between 1/3-1/4 tank and it will dilute with whatever is already in there. Fresh gas being used on a road trip won’t be detrimental to your car. You are cycling through it. The odds of getting ‘bad gas’ are extremely unlikely from modern stations. And the odds of a problem arising due to fuel are even smaller, just make sure your car is up to current maintenance requirements and plan for any possible issues.

Rf355AU and Ffre92 like this.
  13. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

There is a station near me that sells non ethanol 93 octane fuel. I tested it to make sure it was non ethanol just to be sure and I have been going there for years. There is an app called “Pure Gas” that you can download to your phone and it lists stations near you that sell non ethanol fuels. I just hate the thought of ethanol sitting in these cars if you don’t drive them every day but sometimes you have no choice.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rampante550 and Ffre92 like this.
  14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I run non-ethanol 93 in my S2000. I used to put it in before storage but now due to it being 19 years old it's the only gas I use. I've heard that it is not available in a lot of areas in the country. I have 2 stations within a half hour from me.

Rf355AU likes this.