NASCAR who dat? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

NASCAR who dat?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Feb 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Busch Light really goes right through you

Hawkeye likes this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    He got schmedrinked in the bus stop chicane. Not his fault. Excuse the yiddish . . . .

absostone likes this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yeah i saw it.

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    wonder if he was on his jet before the race ended

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    NBC has to break up Earnhardt, Jr. and Jeff Burton.

The entire time, they're trying to out-redneck each other and Burton's voice becomes
    more annoying than fingernails on a chalkboard.

NBC must tell them they've got to fill every available second with endless yammering.
    After 10 minutes, they're impossible to listen to. I was ready to pull and Elvis and shoot
    the TV at one point.

BHW

View attachment 2978205 Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Ok, are they dumping Daytona coverage to show golf? Not even running a crawl to update.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Rain-delayed until tomorrow (Sunday). CNBC will air it starting 10am EST.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Another NASCAR debacle.

This is what happens in motorsports when "show" supplants "sport" and officials are handcuffed by
    the manipulators of the events locked in a booth high above the track and they've still got 15
    commercials to fit in.

It's only a matter of time before another driver is sacrificed in order to entertain the masses.

BHW

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I really don't understand how they can detect lightning within 20 miles of the track but can't tell if it's raining in turn 1.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Since the first two days had been washouts and the race postponed to Sunday, they may
    have been hoping against hope that the rain in the distance was a mirage and they could
    carry on unabated and try to get the race in.

Anyone who's spent any time at all at DIS knows that storms can roll in off the Atlantic and
    its like a monsoon very quickly.

The rain which halted the race with 40 laps remaining was the thing that was curious. They've
    already made fans and teams alike suffer due to the weather and their boneheaded decision
    to run a race at DIS in the middle of August when its 130ºF in the shade and you may almost
    set your watch by the afternoon rains.

But, they put in a 2+ hour hold to run those last 40 laps as one guy put it "Because there's
    important things going on" (SIC) and the result ends up virtually the same as it was during
    the delay.

Think those in the deep dark fake wood paneled walled offices in Daytonner in charge of
    scheduling have learned anything? You'd like to think so but quite likely not.

BHW

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    to quote Tony Stewart, "I'm glad we were able to get back out there and destroy a bunch more cars"

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah, that pretty well sums it up.

BHW

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Bubba Wallace wins at Kansas. first non-plate win

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, at least they don’t finish behind a safety car…..usually.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  18. Akg200

Akg200 Karting

Mar 10, 2022
    The States
    It must hav been very exciting.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we left early, mainly because hot as heck and none of us were interested in the results, just experience it for several hours. The race took five and half hours. Despite the first 40 laps green flag, rest of race was 20 yellows, mainly because tires were failing between heat and high speeds.

overall it was fun to watch a NASCAR race again, it has been 15+ years for me. they sound great and good passing. first noticeable thing is there are about 25% of the fans as there were 15+ years ago and back then they didn't need a concert to bring everyone in. I can see why NASCAR is taking a race away from TMS and they're going back to smaller venues. The place just looked dead as capacity for 200,000. racing wise it was different they could go 3-4 wide, but then get back in line quickly. 15+ years ago there were 2-3 groves where cars could stay side by side at TMS for many laps. There were many single car spins yesterday, but not the big multi-car crashes there use to be.

I might actually start going to more races, enjoy the concert and they've installed some cool bar setups. With the less people you can spread out and easy to drive in and out. It use to be cramped shoulder to shoulder and 2-3 hour drives in and out.

comparing qualifying and final results, it all just seems a little manufactured to me, no real correlation to the fast cars in qualifying and the race results. I'm not sure about the stages either, but I would rather have that than phantom yellows.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Man, wish I would have known you were there, coulda had you do some rain dances or something. McDowell needed that win, he lost 4th gear just before they stopped the race.

rob lay likes this.
  21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    didn't see any of it, was there a reason it took 5 1/2 hours (rain/lightning, track repairs etc)? or just the sheer number of cautions?

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    around 20 yellows + an hour'ish rain/lightning delay.

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ah OK.

I seem to recall the first ever TMS race (1996?) had a lot of problems with tires/track surface. it was really hot for that race too.

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Never in my life...

Have I seen a full course caution deployed because a single car was stationary in the pits near
    the end of the Talladega event yesterday.

With a handful of laps remaining, decided to see how NASCAR would cock it up and they surely
    did with one of the most bizarre caution calls ever. A car had parked in a pit stall near the end of
    pit lane and remained there.

Since it seemed there wouldn't be the usual calamity "big one" incident, NASCAR flew the caution
    flag interrupting what was promising to be an interesting run to the checkered flag. Nope, they've
    got to goof that up, drawing it out as long as humanly possible for more of their "manufactured
    drama".

As per usual, the confused announcers all say, "Oh, thats an old rule, you just can't leave a car parked
    in the pit lane like that" (SIC) while I'm yelling, "Why the F not?!".

Along comes a tow truck to take the car out of harm's way. But, instead of towing it back behind
    the pit all, the truck pushes the car all the way around the 2.8 mile track. Cue extended commercial
    break while NASCAR gets their nonsense in order, shuffling the deck so their hot shoe of the
    day gets the best shot at winning.

NASCAR pulls these stunts time and time again, taking away any sort of having a finish that doesn't
    feel contrived and manipulated.

BHW

25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that was a very odd incident.

I guess they couldn't find a big enough piece of debris to call for a caution :p