Serious dilemma: Cali30/FF/612 (pros, cons, age, wife, budget) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Serious dilemma: Cali30/FF/612 (pros, cons, age, wife, budget)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Sunshine1, Sep 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think the FF still has a long way to go for it to hit the bottom of the depreciation curve. I would stay patient and get the exact spec you want. If you wait long enough, the GTC4Lusso could even start getting into striking distance. Ferrari is about obtaining a dream, don't dilute it by compromising. Get exactly what you want, even if it takes some time.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  2. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Given your area of use, I would suggest one with pontoons...given the recent turn of events ;-)

3. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Actually, for a DD - a Panamera or Rapide makes more sense IMHO. Ferrari is more appropriate for an occasional car.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    I looked into a Panamera GTS and Turbo, but I want elegance, I want beauty and the 612/FF are way way way more beautiful and special than the Panamera (+ V12). As many have said, buying a Ferrari is not a rational thought (although it has to be in my book in terms of affordability), it’s visceral: it’s always been one of my strong desires and I now can afford to comfortably make a move. I looked into a 911 too, would rather get a Cali30 (even when I know the 911 is super reliable).

5. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Yes, going for NA. A big car is totally ok for me. Do I sense in your message that between the 612 and FF (not taking the Cali30 into account), you would advise the 612 (jerky sometimes but less expensive to maintain/repairs that the FF)?

6. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Yes, having a lot of fun doing my research because I know I will own my 1st Ferrari in the coming months. :)

I want to thank again all the members who are giving their advices and thoughts, what a great community!, you are helping a lot.

[QUOTE="Hope you are having fun in the hunt![/QUOTE]

EnzoItaly and RamsHmb like this.
  7. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Your comments go right to my heart :)

I thought it might be too little but based on various answers in different threads, it seems it’s totally right (may be even a bit higher).

What I’ll do is immediately take $50,000 from an investment account and open another investment account with that money just for the car (maintenance/repairs for a period of 10 years).

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

Knock on wood..both the Gallardo and Huracan have proven to be reliable cars. I'm not a fan of the Gallardo over all..but I cannot say anything truely bad about it mechanically.

The Huracan doesn't seem to exhibit the same gearbox problems the Ferrari units are having..and seem pretty damn built proof. We have a couple rental huracans that come in..and you know damn well thise are put through the ringer daily..and so far no real issues. The Ferrari 488 they have..well it's just not holding up well at all. I think they have stopped renting it out..or it goes out very sparingly for photoshoots etc.

Boomhauer, Texas Forever and Scott98 like this.
  9. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    To the OP: a Ferrari is an irrational purchase. At some point you will be hit with a painful repair bill. The only thing that will make it somewhat less painful is if you absolutely love your car. Buy the one you really want. Don’t settle.

MacNugget, alex, EnzoItaly and 5 others like this.
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    \close thread

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Scott98 likes this.
  11. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Interesting that a Ferrari to you has 4 seats. Just the opposite for me. Oh well. I suggest you talk to a Ferrari mechanic about the effort required working on your options. I did that comparing a 360, 430 and 458. (the 458 is much easier to work on)

The Portofino has an "occasional back seat". Maybe that is an option.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    458 easier to work on then a 360/430? Who told you this? 458 is start of the wost line of Ferrari's for a tech or anybody else to work on. Simply awful. Add the convertibles to the mix and it only multiplies.. the 360/430 is like working on a 1950 Ford f100 incomparison.

tantumaude likes this.
  13. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Got it and thought so. Between the two I would go FF. It’s a more modern car and more practical but I know the styling can be divisive. It felt more sporty to me than the 612. I do love the looks of the 612 but I know it can be a bit plain for some. Not sure on the upkeep of the 612 but the FF should have or be maintained at the dealer for 7 years so u have comfort there. Hard choice!

14. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Buy whatever car you really want— no decision is irrevocable; if you change your mind downstream just sell it— even if you lose some money so what— you will die with money in your pocket anyway and life is short (nasty and brutal as well according to at least one philosopher). Good luck in your decision.

Ffre92, Texas Forever and LARRYH like this.
  15. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Discussion with a Ferrari mechanic at Ferrari New England during open shop day. Many jobs with the older cars require pulling the engine, not so with 458. My question to him was "which one would you rather work on, which one is less a pain in the ass?" But not arguing the point, matters not to me.

16. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    #41 Sunshine1, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    There is a local event in 1 month with various Ferrari mechanics, will go and talk to them to gather additional information and establish potential relationships.

Below are the major repairs that might happen to each model (my maintenance/repair budget over 10 years is $50,000), is it correct (not including leather shrinking, …)? Indies

* FF = DCT (10K to 15K repairs) + PTU (10K to 15K repairs)

* Cali30 = DCT (10K to 15K repairs, mostly pre-2013?) + roof mechanism (around 5k)

* 612 = timing/cam belts (5k) + F1/clutch (7K)

17. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    A Ferrari is an incredible package that includes everything: handling, performances, luxury, design, class, racing, emotions, beauty, …

Now let’s imagine a Ferrari that also offers everything above while truly seating 4 people, that’s incredible! To me it’s the ultimate ;)

EnzoItaly and bumcubed like this.
  18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would go with the CALI 30 that would be a 2013 or 14 and with the HS package if you can find one I have one it is my third California . I drive it daily and it is a fun car with no real issues .. the last of the NA V8 .... and I like it works perfect for a daily driver...and has a great sound..

19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Something i do not understand is why all the DCT problems with any Ferraris It is the SAME TRANSMISSION as the Porsche PDK and I have not had any issues with either car a Ferrari DCT or a PORSCHE PDK have had much more mileage experience with Porsche and zero problems .... Now I did have a power transfer unit (PTU) go bad on a Porsche cayenne which I assume is similar to the Ferrari design but do not know (2016 cayenne Turbo) it was fixed for free out of warranty by Porsche..

Caeruleus11 and Texas Forever like this.
  20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I thought PDK was ZF and earlier Ferrari DCT was Gertrag? Not sure if they're same.

My recollection re the early Cali discussion on F-chat is that it was more of an issue of where the sensors were located in the DCT - insufficient cooling leading to failure of the sensors due to heat cycling - rather than inherent mechanical flaws. Also, initially, the DCT could only be replaced en toto not cracked open and repaired. Hence the fox was $$$$ if out of warranty.

FWIW, your experience has been exactly ours with Cayenne/Tiptronic, 911/ PDK and Cali / DCT.

T

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    You may be right ZF VS GERTRAG. Re the sealed transmission that was a good idea .,, never had a PDK or DCT problem on any of my cars
    Re the PTU yes that was on. Cayenne turbo..I have also owned about 8 or so PDK 911s turbo S …GTS and S
    In either case sounds like the problem was a ferrari related problem

Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  22. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    For south Florida roads, I don't think dailying any of those three is going to be anything other than an exercise in frustration to be honest.
    That said, I'd look perhaps a bit older. 550/575 (or 456 if you need the rear seats) is a great grand tourer, and easy peasy for anyone to repair. Looks better too in my mind.

Either way, buy whichever tugs at your heartstrings the most when you look at it, sit in it, start the engine, etc--and then get the best one you can afford. As others said that's the only way to buy a Ferrari. If it means waiting a year or two, it'll make the moment even sweeter.

23. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates

In a 10 year ownership you will have at least 2 major services for each of the models you are researching. A timing belt service is not a failure, its just a major service for a 612. I owned a granturismo for 11 years (similar to california in that it has a chain driven wet sump v8) and the major service were nearly 5k so not that different from the 612. The cost of failures will be highest with the FF, then the California, and last the 612 as it is the simplest car from a technical perspective.

My 612 is an OTO with the upgraded F1 and I think she shifts just fine in nearly every circumstance, barring stop and go city traffic on a steep uphill slope. Clutch wear is 68% against 55k kms driven.

As others have said…find the nicest example that you can afford and go for it. And remember, you have to own a Ferrari V12 at some point!

24. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    You are right, that’s a valid point, nothing is eternal…

25. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    True, the 612 seems the least expensive to maintain based on what I gather from various sources. Clutch 68% worn after 35K miles, therefore almost 50,000 with the clutch, not bad. $6 to $7,000 I noticed to have a new clutch installed.