308 and 512i BB - design similarities | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 and 512i BB - design similarities

Discussion in '308/328' started by Octonion, Sep 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I own both an 85’ 308 QV and an 84’ BBi. Not to be disrespectful to anyone here or even to myself, but there is no comparison between those two. From driving point of view, the bbi feels more of a complete car. It has more than enough power, and it feels more stable and connected to the road. The 308 on the other hand, feels underpowered and more sluggish. In my eyes, the 308 is like the little brother that is looking up to his older brother, the Boxer. I first owned the 308 and I always wished it was a boxer until I finally got one. Aesthetically, they are both beautiful cars. It’s a matter of a personal opinion.

MrGrigio, Martyt, miurasv and 3 others like this.
  2. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    I agree. The comparison is only about how they look similar externally to casual observers. Obviously the V8 is no match for that 12 cylinder engine. I would think every 308 owner would switch to a BBi in a heart beat if we can afford it. Atleast I would.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And continued winning that war into the 2000s with the Diablo.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Did it? I always have been a great fan of Lamborghinis, but I found, and still find, the "Diablo" design really very bland...

Rgds

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The 3X8 GTB/GTS series of cars are wonderful and beautiful but they are in nowhere near the same league beauty wise, or anywise, as the Boxers which were good enough to be Ferrari's flagship cars for 11 years.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    While everyone has a different eye on beauty, this may be the first time someone ever called a Diablo Roadster bland:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

To each his own.....I was out driving it Sunday and as usual, the positive attention was overwhelming.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thoughts on boxer trim or not ?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I find it hard to see how the 3*8 GTB/GTS cars are "not in the same league beauty wise", when they are essentially the exact same basic design (the 208/308/328 being a slightly scaled down version) :confused:

As I say, my biggest bugbear with the BB's are the boxes on top of the engine cover to clear the air boxes - They lack style!

It's as though when they looked into how to clear the air boxes, someone said: "Just throw a couple of long egg boxes on top of the engine cover ........Job done!" , like a complete after thought. The 3*8 GTB/GTS' engine cover just looks so much tidier.

As for the 365/512/512i BB's 11 years as the Ferrari flagship: That's all well and good, but it was only @ 2323 cars in 11 years.

The 208/308/328 GTB/GTS reigned for 14 years, totalling @ 21,800 cars ( https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/3x8-production-numbers-by-year-of-manufacture.446306/ )

I'm going to guess that it wasn't the BB's that made the most money for Ferrari, and kept the company from going under ;)

The BB's are nice looking cars, but to me, they're like the 3*8 GTB/GTS' older, chubbier sister, with a less cute bum :)

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #34 miurasv, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    No way are they the exact same design. The Boxers are far more aggressive, substantial, powerful and more beautiful looking.

They are among my favourite things about the car. They are great design for a lower engine deck on the rear clam allowing much better rear vision. The boxes housing the air filters and top of the carbs/injection units look like oxygen tanks to me. I love them.

Yes, the Boxers are much rarer than the much more commonplace 3X8s so yet another plus.

No, the BBs are the fully formed, voluptuous, more feminine and sophisticated sisters to the prepubescent 3x8 GTB/GTSs.

audi_328 and pshoejberg like this.
  10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Although the Testarossa did quite well, and also fought cocaine trafficking in Florida.

maurice70 and Shark01 like this.
  11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    308 is the hot little volleyball player and the BB is the burly older sister who plays rugby

Martyt likes this.
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Back in 1988 I was taking my 308 QV in for service. The girl I was dating followed me to the dealer for the ride home. There was a BB512 in the show room. She looked at it and said, "It looks like a kit car". :)

13. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    I can understand why you dump her.

14. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I have a 512BBi and a 328 (and a Dino as well). They all have a different drive experience and I enjoy them all. The 328 is a less stressful car to drive in that it requires less from the driver— very relaxing to drive. The Boxer requires more from the driver (at least from me). Visually, they all have their attributes. The Dino is the prettiest— no bad lines from any view. The 328 (mine is Nero/Nero) has great lines— especially in black. The Boxer looks (and feels) more like a race car— from the Clamshells to the view from the driver’s seat down to the front clamshell to the road. The Boxer engine compartment looks like a race car engine bay— always blows me away when I look at it.

lagunacc, pshoejberg and scudF1 like this.
  15. Alex N

Alex N Karting

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Vincent Napoliello
    The 308 is easier on the eyes, it is a better looking car in my opinion

miketuason and MFlanagan like this.
  16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I agree the Dino is the prettiest road car ever made. It's absolutely mesmerising, but imo the Boxers are more beautiful, sophisticated and powerful looking.

MrGrigio likes this.
  17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #42 miurasv, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Not knocking 3X8s but you've only got to hear a Boxer in comparison. Boxers are in a whole different and superior league.

sherpa23 likes this.
  18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #43 miurasv, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Some women are known to get jealous, not just of other beautiful women, but even of beautiful and desirable inanimate things, that could compete for their suitor's attention, and become very catty. ;)

MrGrigio likes this.
  19. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    IMO in person, the 308/328 is prettier, arguably more refined and "better looking" with those side air intakes, but the Boxer has more presence.
    "Flagship" in this context just means the top-of-the-line model; the "best", fastest, and most expensive model, which it indeed was, so it follows that it was produced in far smaller numbers. Arguably, the much more numerous 308 was the company's brand ambassador to the world, and bigger money-maker. They all have their place in the Ferrari pantheon, and not knocking the 308/328, I think they're drop-dead beautiful and I'd love to have one someday...but just a little less than I'd love to have a BBi :)

Martyt likes this.
  20. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    I guess I answered my own question. Frank did talk about the Boxer

miurasv likes this.
  21. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    Hard to fault the 308 's lines as well. Performance and pedigree aside. From a purely aesthetics point of view, I prefer the 308. The lines flow all the way to the back nicely.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bullfighter likes this.
  22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree. If we're considering aesthetics only, I'd take the 308. Not the flagship, but one of the iconic designs of the last century. The side air intakes alone are enough to recognize the car. Boxer looks at a bit improvised in spots, including the air boxes and tail louvers. Great car, but not perfect.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Boxer looks at a bit improvised in spots, including the air boxes and tail louvers."

Yeah, looks like a kit car. ;)

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have experience with both cars. Owning 308s and having driven BBs both carb and injected cars. I think it depends on what you want to do with the cars.

the BB is a large car - very comfortable and lots of power.... great on the highway and "b" roads. Not great in town. the ones I've driven - mostly on track but some town and country driving - the AC did not work well, and they were very warm in side.... you can feel the weight behind you.

308's are a small car, again great on the highway and small country roads, easier to handle, and when at the limit it snaps quickly. the BB's telegraph that you are getting there... lots of lean in both cars, the BB is much more rewarding to drive quickly. neither are great in modern conditions in my opinion. in the USA BB's were all gray market cars so they all were modified to comply - and you have to deal with that modification stuff ... unless you import a European one now that did not have all that stuff done to it. The BB has not aged as well, it can look stubby... but for those that know - its a prince among paupers. the 308 is just plain beautiful - 308gtb from any angle. the original cars from 76-77... the gts - not as much fun or beauty, but still the quintessential Ferrari. I'd love to have both -but the reality of it is that they would be just cars to take out on special days, both are not ideal anymore for modern traffic.

25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Frank Stephenson has great taste as well as genius!