355 - Capristo bypass valve slow to close | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Capristo bypass valve slow to close

Discussion in '348/355' started by audi_328, Jul 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    #26 audi_328, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    I do have clips and wires, but went straight to the ECU swap; problem remains. Valve takes a second to charge at startup, then stays closed, pop the hose off the valve and it opens up, reattach valve and it doesn't close. If I manually close the valve, the vacuum in the line reluctantly will keep the valve closed if I hold it there a few seconds. I did check that connector, looked brand new in there, no corrosion etc. I’m including a pic to be sure it’s the correct one? I am doing these checks without replacing the air boxes every time, I assume that doesn’t matter as they’re on there when I’ve driven the car and I still have the issue.

Even though that connector looks good, any thoughts on which pins to test against the solenoid plug?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #27 Qavion, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    Strange. The signal from the ECU should be the same throughout this period (no voltage, no effort expended by the ECU). All you have done is interfere with the vacuum system. I'm not sure of the internals of the solenoid valve, but I'd say the solenoid valve shouldn't have changed state, either. Engine vacuum just goes straight through the valve.

The solenoid valve is providing vacuum (some at least). Wouldn't this point to a faulty bypass valve? Did you inspect the vacuum hose running from the solenoid valve to the exhaust bypass valve? Could it be leaking when the car warms up? I assume the kit comes with a new hose, however.

That's the inline plug for the RH ECU. You need the one for the LH ECU. There is one for each ECU. Anyway, thanks for the photo. It's good to know what it looks like. From what you've told me above, however, it would be difficult to come up with an electrical-related theory. I have one, but it's far-fetched.

Maybe if you have time, could you locate the pin on the LH inline plug related to the bypass solenoid? I know it's pin 9, but I don't know how the plug is oriented. Pin 9 could be in one of 4 locations (see diagram below)

Just put one probe of your ohmmeter on pin 21 of the LH Motronic ECU connector and the other probe on one of the 4 positions show above (in pink) on the fixed (ECU) side of inline connector. This will be good for future reference (and I could add this detail to my wiring diagrams).

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just wondering if your Secondary Air solenoid valve is leaking vaccum when the car has warmed up.

Another suggestion. Temporarily clamp off the vacuum hose on the Secondary Air solenoid valve, preferably after the car has warmed up). It may otherwise generate a CEL.

See "X" in the photo below.

@IvanRico 's photo "borrowed". Thanks Ivan.

IvanRico likes this.
  4. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Pin 21 on the Motronic ECU connector relates to the LH inline plug pin in the photo below; that plug doesn't seem to match up with the diagram, so please let me know if I got it wrong somehow.

The secondary air solenoid valve line in the photo looks like it belongs to an OEM solenoid, no? I did try warming the car up and clamped off that valve line going to the Capristo solenoid. No CELs but when I would remove the line from the valve and it opened up, while ordinarily I could manually close the valve and the vacuum in the line would keep it closed; with the secondary air solenoid line clamped, there wasn't enough vacuum to keep the valve closed if I manually shut it.

I did hear back from Capristo, this is what the guy wrote: "This sounds like a pinched pipe to me. If the oem metal line (that runs along the rear frame) is being used, bypass that with a silicone vacuum line.
    2nd option to check is the relief side of the solenoid. It is the plastic piece that comes straight out. That must be open to atmosphere. Later ones have a filter on it."

My Capristo solenoid does have the filter on it, seems good and not blocked. As to the OEM metal line he refers to, I wasn't able to locate it. Do you know which line he's talking about?

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #30 Qavion, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    My mistake. I assumed a 2 x 12 pin configuration. That plug is a 3 x 8. But having said that, there is no way I can match up the OEM wiring diagrams with that plug. In the diagrams, the wires are in two groups. The wires/pins in your photo are in 3 groups. Anyway, thanks for the pic.

Going by the OEM wiring diagrams, the pin 9 should be in one of two spots

Yours looks like this:

That means that all three of my 2.7 engine-related wiring diagrams are wrong.
    By the way, your photo appears to show the solenoid side of the plug?

Did you check all the pins to see if any others matched?

Yes, sorry didn't make it clear that I was worried the (OEM) secondary air solenoid valve was leaking (so less vacuum for the exhaust bypass valve solenoid valve). Clamping off the exhaust bypass solenoid valve vacuum will of course stop the exhaust bypass valve working.

It's hard to see in the parts diagrams and on the car, but there is a thin metal pipe welded to the secondary air (thicker pipe). The rubber/silicone pipe from the exhaust bypass solenoid valve going to the exhaust bypass valve capsule should be attached to this metal pipe. I've shown the pipe below, but it doesn't look like it's hooked up.

You may have to remove some airbox plumbing to see the pipe. Anyway, if that's ok, maybe you could repeat the clamping exercise (on the secondary air solenoid vacuum pipe)?

(EDIT: it's possible that your aftermarket silicon pipe bypasses the metal pipe and runs straight to the exhaust bypass valve capsule)

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The workshop manual doesn't show that thin metal pipe, but a direct connection between the solenoid and the bypass valve.

Your installation may be the same as the image above, in which case, you won't have to worry about any damage to the thin metal pipe. If you can't find the thin metal pipe under all the airbox stuff, you could try temporarily running the vaccuum hose directly to the bypass valve. The metal pipe is probably just a better route to stop the hose touching any hot metal parts and to make the plumbing look more cosmetically appealing.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's a photo of the vacuum hose plumbing (thanks to @Lionworks Auto )

The rubber hose seems to go to the top (secondary air pipe), but it is actually connected to a small pipe sandwiched between the upper and lower secondary air pipes.

8. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Yup that's how mine is run. Thanks for the explanation regarding the pipe, I found it. The pipe already wasn't being used; the way the car was originally set up, the silicone vacuum line was run from the valve to the solenoid and I copied the routing when I replaced the OEM valve. One more thing this problem is not, I guess.

On that 3 x 8 plug, the pin socket I indicated is the only one that corresponds to pin 21 on the ECU plug. Interesting that all the diagrams are incorrect as to which plugs were used.

Starting to think I should just replace all the vacuum lines...other than the new one supplied by Capristo, they're all 27 years old anyway. Just seems to make sense that there's a vacuum leak somewhere, no?

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    As Ian said, if you pop off the vacuum line and then re attack it you aren't altering the position of the solenoid. This seems to rule out an electrical problem in my mind. There are tow other possibilities. When you detach the vacuum line, if left open, it may reduce the vacuum level in the canister and then it takes time to rebuild. Or, and this is what I think, possible the valve is defective and sticking open. I.e., it a mechanical problem.

Qavion likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for letting me know. This is a real mystery then why the diagrams don't match the plugs. How sure are you that you had your multimeter probe on pin 21? Did you get continuity between the ECU (pin 21) and the solenoid valve with the 3 x 8 inline plug connected?

Ugh.. that's a lot of hoses. Are there any hoses which feel soft and squishy? I had a problem on one of my other cars. The vacuum hoses were collapsing when they were warm. My Ferrari hoses, however, are like rock.

11. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Yes, 100% sure I had continuity between pin 21 and the bypass solenoid with the inline plug connected, just double-checked it.

Qavion likes this.
  12. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    When I get a chance, I want to re-install the OEM valve and run it, as a control/sanity check.

When I first got the car 5 years ago, the OEM bypass valve would open and close as expected. I noticed last season it seemed a little slow to open, or I wasn't sure if it was opening fully; used to be there was no doubt it when it opened. Not knowing a whole lot about how the vacuum system worked, I thought maybe the OEM valve was failing as I understand they can and do sometimes, so that's what made me pick up the Capristo valve. I've been having this slow-close issue with it since installation, so I'm thinking it's not the Capristo valve, but possibly a pre-existing issue I didn't recognize.

13. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Every vacuum line on my car feels pretty solid for sure. Maybe smoke test it? Wouldn't hurt to replace those one-way check valves either, pretty sure they're available. I'd just like to find out conclusively what the issue is.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You said it take a long time to close when you start the car cold. Put a T in the vacuum line going to the valve can connect the vacuum gauge to it. Start the car cold and watch the vacuum level. If it stabilizes to some level and the valve remains open for some time, then closes without a change in the vacuum level I would conclude it's a problem with the valve.

15. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    No, actually it closes right up when I start the car cold. It's only once the car's warmed up and I run it to the point that the valve opens, that's it's slow to close after the revs drop past where it should close. Like if the valve opens at WOT on an on-ramp and then I get to highway speed and cruise in sixth gear, after 5-10 minutes of that it'll eventually close. But from a cold start it either closes right up, or it's still closed if I haven't opened up a vacuum line tinkering with it since I last parked it.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you do, don't forget to reinstall the OEM solenoid as well (if you still have it).

Cool. Thanks. It seems that only that inline plug is mixed up in the diagrams. Sorry for the distraction (it does seem to be a "mechanical" issue rather than an electrical issue)

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    At one point, you said this:

Is this long closure time due to a good vacuum or something sticking? I've been trying to get my head around this for half an hour.

Vacuum is required for Capristo bypass valve closure, but with no signal from the Motronic ECU to open the valve (engine off), the Capristo solenoid valve should allow reservoir vacuum to keep the exhaust bypass valve closed. To me, this seems like a properly sealed vacuum system. However, I suppose other things could cause this behaviour (with a poor vacuum). e.g. Sticky Capristo exhaust bypass valve (perhaps temperature related)?

Vacuum from the engine may be weak and it might be taking the vacuum reservoir a long time to charge. I suppose the black and white one-way valves may be limiting vacuum "flow". However, you reiterated above that the valve closes quickly when you start a cold car, suggesting a good instant supply from the engine. But is it a good instant supply or is the engine vacuum simply topping up a reservoir which still has some pressure in it? :confused:

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I guess I misread you 1st post.

Sticks open when hot? Still seems mechanical to me after everything else posted.

19. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I do still have it.

No problem at all, happy to help after the time you've spent on my issue!

Could be; I want to run it with the OEM valve again, now that I know what the symptoms are, to see how it performs.

Pretty much sums it up for me so far...

Qavion likes this.