What's for Breakfast? | Page 45 | FerrariChat

What's for Breakfast?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by darth550, Feb 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #1101 arizonaitalian, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    I have had them from time to time, I guess the difference didn't register with me. I'm not even sure what we have now (I suspect not steel cut based on your comment).

Interesting...how so?

(I will eat steel cut or not, so whichever is somehow better for me)

Edit: After a bit of google-research, they are - as one would expect - basically the same aside from texture and cooking time variance (very slight GI index advantage to steel cut due to their longer digestion time impacting sugar absorption).

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/rolled-vs-steel-cut-oats#how-to-choose

Summary - Rolled oats and steel-cut oats are two minimally processed forms of oats. They have similar nutritional values and health benefits. Steel-cut oats may take longer to digest and therefore help a person feel full for longer. They also have a slightly lower impact on blood sugar (steel-cut oats have a GI score of about 53, and rolled oats of about 57). The most significant differences between steel-cut oats and rolled oats may be the time it takes to cook them and their final consistency.

tomc and NbyNW like this.
  2. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks and bacon, egg, & cheese biscuit from Chick-fil-A. I was hungover this morning and it hit the spot. :D

tomc and E60 M5 like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Steel-cut definitely take longer to cook. I like making them the night before. Mix with yogurt and milk, sit in fridge overnight. In the AM, add any last items - fresh fruit, nuts, granola - and you're good to go.

T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I.T. Guy, arizonaitalian and tomc like this.
  5. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    We have the best damn breakfast dinner going, and “no” we don’t deserve it in our little rural valley…

I had chicken fried steak with country sausage gravy, two eggs over medium, a biscuit and a pile of potatoes.

Wife has two egg breakfast, scrambled, potatoes, sausage and biscuit.

Both were perfect. Love that place!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I.T. Guy, NbyNW and tomc like this.
  6. That's my kind of breakfast.

Heck, I could eat that at any meal, any time of day, any day of the week.

88porsche944 and arizonaitalian like this.
  7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    My wife didn’t eat half of her potatoes nor any of her sausage from the meal above…so;

Leftover potatoes and sausage topped with scrambled eggs and cholula.

Yummy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I.T. Guy and NbyNW like this.
  8. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

arizonaitalian and I.T. Guy like this.
  9. E60 M5 and arizonaitalian like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I gotta stay in what's for dinner as thats the only meal I have. All these breakfasts look great, but this is all I have for Breakfast for the past 2 years

Bullet a whole lemon (skin, pith, seeds and pulp) with water, few drops of Stevia and one teaspoon of Cinnamon

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I used to eat very light breakfast, no lunch and big dinner when I was younger. Can't do it any more.

What's the motivation for this breakfast concoction? Thanks.

T

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Quick answer : I like it and it quenches my thirst after my daily 10 km walk/jog.

Long answer : It is very beneficial. Provides all the vitamin C and fibre you could ever want. Its a part of my whole wellness regime.

Intermittent fasting to lower Insulin spikes. 18/6 . Light lunch and eat what ever I want at dinner. Give me butter , fat all those great eating foods. Limit sugar and carbohydrates.

Eat zero oil seed and items fried with them so that basically is all fast food. Limit diet drinks and mostly mineral water.

Medically there is a lot to be gained by having a whole lemon a day.

Other than that show me an Italian that doesnt have a lemon tree in their back yard :)

slm and tomc like this.
  13. There may or may not be some medical science behind the claim that a whole lemon a day is good for you.

But for the love of all humankind, please do not cite to that quack Eric Berg.

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I have always found his posting informative. Followed many and have had great success.

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #1117 arizonaitalian, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    When I took my first two-year sabbatical back in 2002 and moved to Jackson Hole, we lived "down the road" (which up here is anything within 10-15 miles) from the quintessential breakfast diner. It was a community mainstay, and was filled with regulars, usually un-showered, sometimes hungover, always wearing sweat pants or hastily thrown-on jeans at best, or still sporting their ski clothing from a morning powder run.

It was the kinda small-town place where you would party with your friends into the night, and then run into them wearing sweats and a wool hat and feeling a bit green the next morning. It was a very small town back then, and, well, everyone was here, especially on a weekend (and this before tourists descended upon Jackson Hole like locusts). (I'm told they were on Triple D and some other TV shows, but I've not seen them)

Given that I wasn't working and didn't have to be anywhere for the first time in my life (after school, college and work), there were times years ago when I ate breakfast there 3-4 times each week. They had lunch and dinner too I'm told, but I never had those meals there in the 100+ times I went there. We moved an hour further away several years ago, and thus I only get up there 1-2x per year lately. But I had to go "one last time" (last day was yesterday)...it was sad to see it go.

They had the fluffiest pancakes I've ever found. Standouts were the chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy and the huevos racheros. It was dirt cheap too. Anyways, it has been there for 40 years, and if you have been to Jackson Hole (Wilson in this case) you likely have heard of it, or eaten there.

Nora died earlier this month, but her daughter had already decided to close the restaurant and sell the land and building (its still available for $10 million last I checked).

Was a hard decision to forego the Huevos Rancheros and get the the chicken fried steak with sausage gravy, biscuit with gravy, hash browns and eggs. I was mad at myself for forgetting to order pancakes on the side. I'll miss that place...

Pic from the web showing early winter:

Pics from my last meal there:

AtomicPunk88, tomc, NbyNW and 4 others like this.
  17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I had only 1 of the last batch of peaches left...and the last batch this year was far and away the best. Cut up the last one, added some blackberries and put them over cottage cheese. So sad that we have to wait 11 months to get good peaches again...

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    AtomicPunk88 and I.T. Guy like this.
  19. To me it would also be a great dinner.

I.T. Guy and MANDALAY like this.
  20. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

We’ve been very close many times but never ate there. Big miss on our part.

21. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
  22. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  23. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Good memories...I used to live about 1/2 mile from there on HHR ranch road.