hurricane Ian, water in my cars | FerrariChat

hurricane Ian, water in my cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jeff3545, Sep 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    I moved my 812 and 2 Porsche’s to my barn because over the last 62 years this part of Lee County has never had serious flooding. It flooded last night.

The barn is elevated but I can see that about 10” of water got in there and then receded rapidly. The cars are not wet, they are damp. How should I handle this? A little more background, this is freshwater, I think the surge hit about 9pm last night and when I was around 11am it had fully receded from the barn and the floor was already drying. I would estimate that water came up on the cars and pulled back over a period of 8 hours.

Please advise on steps I should consider before attempting to move the cars.

2. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Are you saying you had ten inches of water inside your car from the carpet up? This will require heavily drying and I would start getting a dehumidifier ASAP right out side the door with doors remaining open. I highly suggest not making an insurance claim. They could state this as a flood damage which would destroy the value of your cars.

3. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Also high power shop fans facing into the cabin

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    10" got over the threshold so all carpets are wet?

5. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    thanks for asking. I had approximately 10” from the floor. Not 10” of water in the car. I am not sure how much got in but enough to make it damp.

6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Start them up and get them to operating temp. If they run fine, call your detail guy ASAP. I say this because if they were min and water got into wiring or engine, I would want them totaled by insurance.

JDZNate and 997 like this.
  7. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Then a dehumidifier and a large fan on both sides of the doors open and facing in the cabin will fix it in 48 hours.

997 likes this.
  8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm a diy guy so....I would get each car on lift not starting them. I would unplug all electrical connections like brake hub ABS sensor wires, transmission senors anything that likely got drown (low TDC sensors). I'd clean them out with electrical contact cleaner and let dry. Then I would start cars and drive them until hot to drive off water. The diffs,solid axles,trans can be the lowest thing. Sometimes those have to be opened up and oil changed but that usually is needed after a good submersion. And...don't be fooled. Damp carpet can still have soaked insulation. Lift it up and look!

JDZNate, anunakki and 997 like this.
  9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

1st step. CALL YOUR INSURER and report the damage. (Not FILE A CLAIM, just report the damage.)
    2nd step. ASK THEM WHAT TO DO IN ORDER TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T SCREW UP A POTENTIAL CLAIM. (I'd make sure to have them email you with instructions.)
    3rd step. FOLLOW THEIR ADVICE.

But, I don't think you'd be doing your claim any harm by opening the doors and using a fan and dehumidifier. I'd also toss in a few packets of damp-rid. Remember, down here in SW FL, if the cars aren't stored in a climate controlled space, if you don't get thoem 100% dried out, you're gonna have mold and mildew all over the place. Leather is particularly susceptible.

And next time, store the cars at my place. We're much farther away from the water, but only maybe a 1/2 hour drive for you. :)

D

Thecadster, Eric C, Nembo1777 and 5 others like this.
  10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oh, and if it was storm surge, pretty good chance it wasn't JUST freshwater. For sure there was all sorts of other stuff in that water. Fecal matter, pesticides, etc. All the good stuff we toss out in SW FL.

D

HotShoe, gt1995 and GatorFL like this.
  11. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    State Farm totaled by Bentley Continental GT a solely Based on the floor mats being soaked as evidence of a flood damage warranting total loss and the car simply Not starting. I was SHOCKED when they declared it a total loss, but didn’t argue of course.

If you have 10” of water inside your cars I can’t imagine them not being a total loss.

technom3, Texas Forever and HotShoe like this.
  12. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This would be my biggest nightmare about buying a used high end car from So. Florida. How would you ever know if the car was just 'dried out' and sold? Here is another one circulating on the internet. This one would be harder to hide. Best of luck to the OP in having trouble free cars going forward.

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Florida is where cars get dumped for resale all the time. It's the wild west here for used cars, you have to be very careful.

There are no state inspections of cars here, and no requirement to provide any kind of warranty on a used car when sold. Since there are no emission inspections, you need to take a careful look at what prior owners may have done to the exhaust system. No cats? No problem because even when you register the car for the 1st time, no one asks if it's been modified, and for sure no one takes a look. Only thing they check is the odometer. Literally, when you take possession in the parking lot, unless you have a specific written warranty, the car is yours. If it blows up before you get out of the parking lot, tough nuts.

I bought a Mercedes here about two years ago, got a 30 day warranty as a part of the deal. It blew up the fuel pressure regulator 30 minutes after I left the dealership. They towed it back, fixed it ($3500) and told me how luck I was to have negotiated a 30 day warranty.

D

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Listen to dm_n_stuff. Lots of great real world Florida advice there.

You have to also ask yourself if it worth the chance. Everything can seem fine now and then six months later go to ****. Then what would you do?

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  15. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Get your insurance involved. Why take the risk with your $. Fine to dry them out but these cars (at least the 812) have tons of computers in them. Think about old iPhones before they made them waterproof (ipx7). I don’t think any car computers have an ipx rating. You get them wet, and they go crazy. I think we forgot because most of our electronics these days are semi water resistant with ipx standards.

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So I just measured 10 inches in my garage on my Lusso. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say those cars are a loss.

So let’s say they start and you dry them up. Wants the long term risk on problems? Very high IMO. What’s the cost the cost to fix? Could be astronomical. And that’s if they can figure it out and fix it.

Cal your insurance company. Take the money and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HH11 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    file a claim

send them off

Auraraptor and technom3 like this.
  18. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  19. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    Ferrari Naples had over 40 cars towed to their dealership by Monday. They will pull out the seats and carpet, get an assessment. My situation was freshwater and car did not submerge, both points in my favor.

Many comments have been “total it and move on”. Not an easy decision and it is not my decision, the insurance company will decide. The market on this car with this spec is $470k, they will write a big check to save it as long as it is “repaired to manufacturer specs”. If it were saltwater intrusion, they don’t ask a lot of questions before totaling the car. At this point I am waiting to hear from Ferrari.

Thecadster likes this.