NASCAR who dat? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

NASCAR who dat?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Feb 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Ha! I guess!

Don't know how I keep getting suckered into watching the final laps. It's like a train wreck, you can't watch but you can't look away either.

BHW

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    What's the old saying, if you ain't cheating you're not racin'? Something like that. It's in the
    Smokey Yunick book.

NASCAR knows all the teams are trying different things that are bending the rules but the thing that
    kills me is the cars are inspected the minute they roll off the trailers, they're inspected before and after each practice and qualifying session and again before and after each race.

All these inspections, but as soon as the race ends they find some innocuous thing wrong and they
    go nuts with the finin' & suspendin' after the driver and team are out there knocking their guts all
    day.

If a spoiler or other aero bit is too high or too low by 1/10,000th of a centimeter, crew chiefs are fined
    and suspended, the team is docked points and the principals have to appear before a virtual tribunal.

But, after one of their "Big Ones", NASCAR will allow cars back onto the track that are completely altered, held together with 200MPH tape, dropping parts all over the place, going 50MPH slower than the rest and somehow that is perfectly fine.

All the NASCAR nonsense must become frustrating especially to long-time drivers like Harvick. But,
    as we've seen over the past 30+ years, step out of NASCAR narrative line and they throw the book
    at you.

BHW

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the issue now is that NASCAR is basically the car supplier and it's a piece of crap :p

expensive parts that break easily, and the car is *less* safe than the old tanks it replaced.

I do like the racing from this package, particularly on the 1.5 mile tracks that have sucked for a decade or more. and, we do have a lot of new teams/drivers that are competitive (Trackhouse, 23XI, etc) but they have some problems to straighten out.

and you best keep yo mouth shut until then, son :p

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so I'm not a fan of the NASCAR racing and current drivers, but I love watching Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Dirty Mo Media YouTube podcasts. It is so interesting, Dale is a good interviewer and access to everyone past and present. There is a lot of focus on the business of the sport and how personalities interacted, also the technical development and the "cheating".

https://www.youtube.com/c/DirtyMoMedia

GuyIncognito likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Guess who’s racing in Xfinity.

Hint: Soon he’ll be joined by another Danny boy……

GuyIncognito likes this.
  8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It's fair to say NASCAR has figured out how to monetize everything they touch.

First came their tech center in Charlotte where concept and design of the cars is carried out
    and strict adherence to the rules is closely observed (smirk).

To my knowledge, the teams still build their own cars but have adhere to the blueprints 100% which
    is where the tech center comes in again. Every car must pass the certification process which teams
    pay NASCAR to have carried out. Once the car passes the process, then it's permitted to race.

But, it gets better. After each crash and car rebuild, the car has to go through the re-certification
    process all over in order to be cleared to go racing again which the teams likewise must pay
    for. Likewise, one might assume that every part on the car must conform to any commercial
    parts agreement NASCAR has with suppliers and if a team steps out of line here, which seems
    to be the case with Harvick's team, then there's finin' & suspendin'.

IIRC, this was the brainchild of the Bodine brothers, Todd and Jeff, and they're involved in the
    engineering process. To their credit, they've established a technical institute alongside the tech
    center where students may learn trades that will lead to future employment in the industry.

Is it working? Well, due credit, the new cars look good with the elongated sideboards so
    they feature sponsor logos more prominently and the colors really boom for TV. But, does
    all this make the racing any better? Probably not gauging by the sagging attendance
    figures and declining ratings with old school guys still longing for the Earnhardts, Pettys,
    Johnsons, Gordons, etc.

Caught some of the practice session from the Charlotte "roval" event yesterday and the
    cars' speeds look really pedestrian especially through the twisty bits. Suppose it'll be a
    good show today with lots of crash 'em up, smash 'em up and plenty of NASCAR
    yellow flag nonsense.

BHW

rob lay likes this.
  9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    try to keep up :)

new car for this year is a spec car, designed by Dallara and built by a company called Technique. teams can still build their own engines but that’s about it (and TRD builds all the Toyota engines in house)

set list of parts providers too. it’s really no different than running a GT3 car in sports car racing now

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I bet we see Danny Ric in the third track house car a few times next year

11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This Roval has turned into a total **** show!

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    NASCAR road courses are just g/w/c demolition derbies. no talent whatsoever.

13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I like ‘em at RA and WG.

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It was actually pretty clean until the decided to create another late restart that they knew would be a mess. No reason for that whatsoever.

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yeah the banner that caused the caution was off line and had been there for at least 10 laps

nascar just can’t help themselves

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Bubba deserves to be parked for a race or three for this. somehow I doubt he will.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Not exactly Cale Yarborough vs. David Pearson was it?

BHW

GuyIncognito likes this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    hmm, odds nothing done or slap on wrist?

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    precedent is there for at least a one race suspension but I bet it's a fine or points penalty

rob lay likes this.
  20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Funny. You can slightly modify a part and your entire season is ruined to the tune of 100 driver points, 100 owner points, crew chief suspension, and 6 digit fines.
    You can say a naughty word and get suspended for the season and lose your sponsors and your ride.
    ...but intentionally wreck another driver at full speed in cars with questionable safety, tearing up 3 cars, causing probably over a million is damage, and you just get a 1 race suspension? Bull ****.

Bubba started being a little ***** in the 43 whenever he didn't get his way, even before all the racist nonsense. He is a classless piece of **** and since Nascar is so intent on being a family friendly, offend nobody enterprise, that worthless piece of **** has no place in it. Blue Emu dropped him in 2020 for being a turd, McDonalds should do the same if they had any integrity whatsoever.

Jack-the-lad and GuyIncognito like this.
  23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    real punishment for Bubba would be putting him in a time machine back to 1989 and having to race Dale Sr, Rusty, Mark Martin etc in their primes. good luck trying that crap on them :)

RedNeck and Jack-the-lad like this.
  24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Jussie Wallace….but without Smollette’s fashion sense.

25. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Kyle Larson wins at Homestead nowhere near Miami
    Was waiting for him to say "This one's for Bubba Smollet!" but he took the high road :)

GuyIncognito likes this.