Ferrari 456 or Maserati GT | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 or Maserati GT

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chootoy, Oct 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chootoy

Chootoy Rookie

May 30, 2022
    Austin, TX
    Hi Friends,

Nonsensical thread incoming, looking for 2 cents....

Torn - 1999 456MGTA (tan/tan) vs 2009 Maserati GTS (black/red) with F1 trans. All things being equal (except the 20k diff in price). Both clean. 456 just had major service done. GTS has been inspected 49% life left on clutch, recent sticky button service. Can't get both....

Ferrari55whoa and paulchua like this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Neither..do yourself a favor and just buy a Corvette. You will enjoy it more.

Second question is why these 2 cars? Name? You get to feel "speacial" cheapest way into rhe exotic world? Are you prepared for the expense?

Bullfighter likes this.
  3. Chootoy

Chootoy Rookie

May 30, 2022
    Austin, TX
    #3 Chootoy, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    No thanks on the Corvette, too claustrophobic (test drove a newer one). I like a GT style car - the 2+2. Previously owned 928's. I can't afford 612 or FF so 458 for me in the Ferrari category and Maserati GTS is a very nice car for money as well. Certainly my entry point for exotic with some elbow room. Expense and upkeep expected. Although these two examples give me some run way as maintenance pretty current and good history's. Older DB9 an option as well, although they are a bit snug in the cabin.

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    What about a GranTurismo with an automatic transmission? That’s my vote. More reliable than the F1 and it’s not like the car is that sporty to begin with so you’re not missing much by avoiding the F1.

456 will have significantly higher upkeep and to my eyes the GranTurismo looks better.

paulchua likes this.
  5. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Is it really nonsensical or are you shopping?

How much wrenching are you willing or able to do yourself? While not necessarily cheap, it can be quite reasonable. 456 has it’s known issues and quirks, all of which are fixable and well documented. The platform and motor has lots of shared parts with both the 550/575 as well as some earlier and then-current V8 cars. Many cross brand Bosch parts with other manufacturers and there is an active message board on here. The back seats are tight headroom for taller people, but comfy 2+2 (don’t kid yourself it’s any bigger). It’s legit comfy, not just “for a Ferrari.” People who have the Automatic, say they love it and it’s well suited for the car. I have an older 6speed GT and it’s wonderful. The car is plenty fast (when initially released it was fastest 4 seater in production). Beautiful lines, yet subtle styling that doesn’t scream look at me.

I have no Maserati experience. But liked asked above, why these cars? If it’s simply price point, keep doing research and try and spend some time in both. Don’t be fooled on “current service whatever”. Something will come up or need to be redone. Or should be done proactively now, especially if you plan to drive it regularly. I have found a lot of plastic and rubber parts have deteriorated from heat and time.

paulchua likes this.
  6. Chootoy

Chootoy Rookie

May 30, 2022
    Austin, TX
    Mirek, paulchua and Boomhauer like this.
  7. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    I like both cars.

Two decades ago, would've been easy choice....456 (pretend the Gran Turismo was around back then). Of course, big assumption on the car being a manual, not an automatic....

I do want a Maserati GT. Just a very cool car, and feels very Maserati. Sounds great and has decent performance.

One thing about the 456 is that even by Ferrari standards, I hear a lot of issues with the car..........windows for one, and maybe an issue with the steering wheel too like the Maranello?

Definitely a pretty car, and a V12 Ferrari for decent money.

I think I would need the 456 to be a manual to win me over here.

8. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    @Chootoy that is a really nice color combo, Grigio Ingrid looks even better in person. Have you taken the car for a test drive?

In the for sale pics the hood and trunk aren't closed properly, which might be a simple oversight, or something else.

Drive one, get a thorough PPI, and come and ask the guys in the 456 forum any specific questions. There's a wealth of knowledge there.

9. Chootoy

Chootoy Rookie

May 30, 2022
    Austin, TX
    Hey thank you. Unfortunately it is not local and in a very rural area where the nearest tech that could do a scan is like an hour away....they did their own MPI and it has these (known) issues,

-rear shocks will need replaced
    -left front hub bearing
    -drivers door latch needs replaced
    -parking break doesn’t hold great
    -need wiper blades

As mentioned - in June 2022 had major service done (all belts, tensioner, drain/flush cooling system, spark plugs, scan tool check for faults etc)

10. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Pass.... i also see leather shrinkage on the driver door, ceiling, pax airbag and dash pod.

Too much for a GTA with problems. You can always find a GTA

paulchua likes this.
  11. Chootoy

Chootoy Rookie

May 30, 2022
    Austin, TX

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That autobox can be a real nightmare (as in write off the car nightmare) if anything goes wrong with it. The risk is yours, any pain is self-inflicted..

Shops have no mercy anymore..cost are just too high now to cut deals like we used to be able to in the past. Learn how to wrench on it yourself. You will learn a bunch..and save a ton of money. With help from sites like this..and others you will do OK. 456 is a great car..but please try to find a manual. You will enjoy it much much more.

tantumaude likes this.
  13. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
  14. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    I owned a 2014 Maserati GranTurismo S and honestly I loved it. So many people have no clue about them and it’s massive value for the dollar. You will get ten times more attention than a Vette would ever get. Between your choices I would go Maserati without a doubt. Mine was dead nuts reliable for years and out of warranty.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #16 paulchua, Oct 7, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    I own both.

When you say GTS, I'm assuming the QP GTS? Gran Turismo only has the "S" with F1 trans.

First, I would echo @tbakowsky advice that if you don't wrench, avoid either. I like working on ICE cars, so tinkering with these toys is a hobby, not a detriment. I have enough daily drivers to not skip a beat if one of my exotics needs some R&R.

How to answer this question quickly? Do you have a lift?

(if no) - then you're done - avoid either.

If yes, I would get the Maserati; it's 1/3 the price, is much easier to work on and is way faster and more refined. Yes, I've taken them both on track.

Get a 2013 (they were made in limited numbers), extra bump of 20 HP with 93 Octane, don't have to worry about variator issue, and in my humble opinion, is the 'best of the breed' - just my $0.02 Also, as time goes on, I believe most people will consider these the Ferrari 'lite' wishful thinking on my part most likely.

Cheers

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #17 paulchua, Oct 7, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Mine has been reliable as well. (well relatively)

@Chootoy assume your window regulators will break, they are about $600 a pop, but you can find repairs kits out there for $60 - X 4
    The alternator will go bunk, and it's the "V" valley (yuck) - your cam seals will go bad, notorious on the 430 engine. Engine mounts will need to be upgraded to the beefier 430 ones soon enough, and the steering rack will leak, and if they were in a bad environment, they will have rust. The infotainment system is woefully bad, but lots of custom Android/Apple play upgrade alternatives.

Again, are you ready to start a relationship with a 'needy' supermodel? If yes - go right ahead.

If not a Hunyndai Stinger is a great sports sedan (that will run circles around the Maser.) Sure, you'll wear the same shirt and pants as 10 other dudes (and not have as beautiful voice), but what does it matter if it's a solid outfit and you have character?

Ferrari55whoa and EnzoItaly like this.
  17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    There are many “better” cars for the purpose for the money, but this is a Ferrari forum after all!

For the purchase price plus likely Y1 and Y2 maintenance could you buy a 612? I would do that.

paulchua likes this.
  18. Chootoy

Chootoy Rookie

May 30, 2022
    Austin, TX
    paulchua likes this.
  19. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    I love it, 100 percent the way to go. The poster above who listed all the concerns never happened to me. People say the 360 can be a maintenance pain. Now I bought one and will find out myself.

Chootoy likes this.
  20. Akg200

Akg200 Karting

Mar 10, 2022
    The States
    I have always been a fan of the Maserati GT. Among the two mentioned, the Maserati would be my choice.

Chootoy and paulchua like this.
  21. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Given those two exact cars, I'd go with the Maserati. The 456 would win if it were manual, and while the auto isn't terrible, it's one of those cars where you can't help but think "I should've gotten the manual". Different story if you had other cars to play with, of course.
    456 is easy and relatively cheap to service, and the Maserati isn't too bad other than some silly engine issues (variators mostly).

Aerosurfer and Chootoy like this.
  22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Or a 911.

If forced to choose, I’d probably go with the Maserati due to fewer ruinous repair costs and cheaper price of entry, but you can drive the 911 hard and fast and later sell it for a good price. 997 generation for modern, 993/964 for classic but usable.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EnzoItaly likes this.
  23. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    It is easy to talk yourself out of any Ferrari for a myriad of reasons. Especially a 456. They are not cheap to sort or run. You need to commit to it and WANT it but when you have it sorted there is nothing like it. Ask anybody that runs one.

Don’t let the nonsense about it “being an automatic” matter. Ask anybody who drives one. It’s bulletproof and a great banger for any big city. It’s a GT continental crusher after all.

At the end of the day it is “Do I get a Ferrari or get (any other car)?” We almost settled for a California (want 4 seats) but my wife thought that would be to close to just buying “a used car”. Take the plunge !

24. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    That red interior will wear you out.