About to Pull The Trigger on a 2019 720S - Some Quick Questions | FerrariChat

About to Pull The Trigger on a 2019 720S - Some Quick Questions

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by vtknight, Jan 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    #1 vtknight, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
    Hello everyone, I am very happy to be here!

I have been lurking here for some time - doing as much research as possible - searching for a car to move from my 2019 Turbo S - to. I looked at Ferrari and was very close to pulling the trigger there - but deeper inspection for the 458 I was looking at - it had many an issue; interior leather shrinkage - pulling from dash - sticky buttons - melting buttons - and an engine rebuild around 50K miles. The 720S gives me everything I want - and it is so highly reviewed.

I knew going in that McLaren's had their issues as well and had some background on the 720S already. The accumulators on my potential car have already been fixed via warranty - I did not see anything yet about the turbo inlets (but I am fine to buy aftermarket and put in if the risk is as high as some threads indicate). I have heard some challenges with leaky headlights causing them to dull - some electrical gremlins and warning lights that can disappear - and I also tried to pick up a car with a VIN greater than 2500 (which I have at almost 3000). Any other risks/items to concern me? I am most interested in anything outside of the extended warranty (which I have read positive and negative feedback about). To that point - I am debating on whether I need extended warranty after this year - or if it is a mandatory thing. It is a cost to consider - but I am good if it is a must.

It is a 2019 luxury - about four thousand miles. From an official McLaren Dealership. It gets one year extended warranty with it. I am looking at it this week. Hoping for any feedback and support you can muster lol.

All of your experienced advice is very much appreciated! Thank-you!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    where are you located? do you have a good mclaren dealer nearby? I would extend the warranty and keep the car maintained especially electronically with the dealer. These cars are pretty solid overall, but the tech can be confusing and will need an expert's attention

3. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    Thank-you for your reply, I do have a dealer close - who the car is from. I have factory warranty until Sept 2022 and McLaren extended until September 2023.

I wanted to modify my first post - and if I had been able to - it would have said this:

Hello everyone, I am very happy to be here!

I have been lurking here for some time - doing as much research as possible - searching for a car to move from my 2019 Turbo S - to. I looked at Ferrari and was very close to pulling the trigger there - but deeper inspection for the 458 I was looking at - it had many potential issues; interior leather shrinkage - pulling from dash - sticky buttons - melting buttons - and an engine rebuild around 50K miles. The 720S however gives me everything I want - and it is so highly reviewed performance wise.

That said - I knew going in that McLaren's had their issues as well and had some background on the 720S already (I have a few friends who own them).
    The Car:
    It is a 2019 luxury coupe - about four thousand miles. From an official McLaren Dealership. It gets one year extended warranty with it taking me to September 2023. I am looking at it this week.
    The accumulators and the actuators on my potential car have already been fixed via warranty - I did not see anything yet about the turbo inlets (but I am fine to buy aftermarket and put in if the risk is as high as some threads indicate). Electronic updates have been applied. I have heard some challenges with leaky headlights causing them to dull - keeping the battery charged - some electrical gremlins and warning lights that can disappear - and I also tried to pick up a car with a VIN greater than 2500 (which I have at almost 3000). Any other risks/items to concern me? I am most interested in anything outside of the extended warranty (which I have read positive and negative feedback about) - what doesn't it cover?

Hoping for any feedback and support you can muster lol.

All of your experienced advice is very much appreciated! Thank-you!

4. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have a 2018 with about 4k miles. I agree with "dealer purchase" & "dealer service". I have had no issues except for the accumulators needing to be bleed (from not using enough) . Purchased mine new in Long Island NY, had it serviced there and moved to Naples, FL and now have it serviced in Palm Beach.
    Have tracked it and sometimes baby it. My other ride is a 458. Luv'em both.

Look, you are going to hear negative comments and positive comments. In the end, do your due diligence. And, STICK WITH A DEALER PURCHASE AND SERVICE. I bought an extended warranty as I plan on keeping this one for a few years. In the end, I have seen more issues with 720s that were not driven enough.

BTW, when she sits for a few months when we go north the seat memory always seems to go a little out of sorts as to the Bluetooth. Then after a few drives it clears right up.
    Finally, you have to be patient when energizing & starting the vehicle. You have to give the computers time to spool up and give all the systems time to talk to each other. That seems to work wonders in having all the systems come on properly........Just my 2 cents.

vtknight likes this.
  5. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Congratulations!
    The more you drive it the more you will connect with it.
    But, take it easy! Even with traction control the tires a a handful when they are cold.

Find a safe piece of asphalt (if you can't get to a track event) void of telephone poles and a generous runoff area to experiment.
    And experiment in small increments (PLEASE)

All these super cars have remarkable 0-60 times (basically all the same); however where your Star ship Enterprise eats up thievery else is 60- 150. It just pulls like a freight train up there.

I remember my first 7:30am Sunday morning on I-75 in APF. Hit the long entry ramp, ripped through 1st & 2nd then pulled 3rd ...I looked down and was doing 144 and nearly rear ended a Cadillac SUV with to older folks heading to church I suspect.
    Everything happens much quicker in the 720. Me mindful of that.

vtknight likes this.
  6. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    Thank-you for your feedback - especially the start procedure - those are exactly what I am looking for. I have made the purchase and it is from a McLaren Dealer - has factory warranty until Sept 2022 and McLaren extended until Sept 23 - so I feel really good about that. It gives me time to see what I can expect from my particular car. My cars work history seems solid - with the previous owner really being a stickler and getting every rattle and issues fixed - including the actuators and accumulators. At 7350 KM (4500 miles) - I don't know that I need to do the turbo inlets yet - but I may get them done with the Mclaren new parts and by Mac.

7. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    Much appreciated. This is great feedback and I am a big believer in what you have written here - and I learned this myself (sometimes painfully over the years lol) and have given out the same advice to others who are new to higher powered cars - stock and modified. Even though I come into a McLaren 720S as a previous tester for fairly modified cars (2000+ HP) for a few Canadian and US Shops - what you are saying still applies. No matter how much experience I, or anyone else may have - every car is different. There are cars much less powerful than the most powerful cars I have driven that can be more dangerous inherently - due to their design (AWD vs RWD, front mid engine, rear mid engine, rear engine etc.) as well as how the power and traction control (or lack thereof) get put down to the road and come on (low end - mid-top - laggy spool and then warp drive mid range etc.) - and many many more factors (chassis, suspension, tires, brakes etc.). Thinking you can just jump into any car at this level and push limits - isn't a good game plan in my humble opinion. Especially with the value of these cars and how much they cost to fix lol.

SO believe me - as someone who worked his whole life to purchase this car - and does not have multiple supercars in his stable - I will be taking my adjustment to the 720S VERY slowly lol. The one thing my 30 years of racing has given me is very small ego. The more you know, the more you know how much you don't know. What I DO know is how easily any car can get bent out of shape when you get cocky and/or lose your focus. This is a life rule - not just for driving or racing. I have no problem saying that I am feeling pretty aware of the enormity of my purchase (for me) - and keeping this car intact. I actually do not plan to race it. I will just be happy to get behind the wheel and cruise - this car is a big deal for me - and I look forward to enjoying every minute with a ton of patience.

8. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes indeed. Lots of runoff and kitty litter is way better than telephone pole and trees. Not to mention Jersey barriers!
    I hear you brother.
    Ran PCA, SCCA with a Ligier and IMSA with an X180R back in '91. You are spot on! Race track are a safer environment for these bad boys.
    But the smile this car brings to my face every time I jump in it.

vtknight likes this.
  9. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #9 JDL, Jan 28, 2022
    vtknight likes this.
  10. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #10 JDL, Jan 28, 2022
    highfive and vtknight like this.
  11. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #11 JDL, Jan 28, 2022
    James R and vtknight like this.
  12. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    That is AWESOME! Talk about the best of both worlds...both cars look great! I almost went 458 - and settled on the 720S...well done!

13. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You will not be disappointed or bored with your 720.
    Since about 2019 I've been living on the rev-limiter in the 458.
    I suspect that is not good for her......
    Time to let the 458 go to a new owner and looking forward to the F-296. (830+/-hp should be fun).
    As for the McDaddy,,,,she will be in the stable for a while.....

BTW, the love the tan interior on your 720...

vtknight likes this.
  14. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    Thanks JDL - I am really happy with my choice and as I was about to pull the trigger on a 458 (wonderful car and noise) - I am glad I went with the Mac!
    I am sure the 296 will be an amazing ride - I hope you post it here!

15. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
  16. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Beautiful car - I just bought a similar car in glacier white and tan and it's an absolute blast - I came from a 650 s which I thought could not be bettered but the 720s is a big step up particularly with the much quicker response through the gears. The 650 always had a lag unless in race mode, but it was a blast to drive

vtknight likes this.
  17. vtknight

vtknight Rookie

Jan 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    vtknight
    #17 vtknight, Feb 10, 2022
    Thanks Tides I am really liking the colour...good to know about the 650S - I almost pulled the trigger on one near when they first came out. Test drove one and loved it. As I wait for the season to get warmer I bought an Autoart replica of my car - not bad for about 450 US.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. tamiami

tamiami Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    Another start procedure FYI. If you get the “key not found” message, click the key fob unlock button to make the connection. If you get some fault displayed it might go away after driving a bit or go away after restarting. A nice convenience is the lock button next to the door jam. Don’t let the car be out of warranty if you plan on extending it. Also aftermarket modifications could negate warranty coverage, stick with OE parts. You got a great car.

19. Jack Syage

Jack Syage Rookie

Jul 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jack Albert Syage
    I've driven the 720S a number of times and no question fantastic. I still have my 2014 12C spider with all the hp and other upgrades and in a 20-100 mph sprint held steady with the 720S. Raced a Koenigsegg Agera on a long freeway on-ramp after an exotic event at the McLaren dealer in Orange County CA. Was respectable to about 100 mph and then he just put the afterburners on and pulled away. My passenger caught it on film so have a great memory. The 12C is damn fast and still contemporary.