should McLarenChat move back under FerrariChat? | FerrariChat

should McLarenChat move back under FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by rob lay, Jul 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Traffic is down about 90% since we moved McLaren content out of FerrariChat into McLarenChat. We could move all the content here back into FerrariChat. It would still have all the same content, same layout, and you would get your posts added back to FerrariChat account.

The only thing you would lose is having a separate domain and the black/orange styling. There are view styling options available to FerrariChat users including red/black and the traditional blue.

2. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I miss these intense discussions between the two camps...

The numbers prove it, wasn't it the Ferrari enthusiasts who liked to browse the McLaren threads every now and then? Why don't you ask the Ferrari camp if they don't miss the "bitter enemy" just a little bit?

Rob Lay likes this.
  3. Minsoo

Minsoo Rookie

Apr 9, 2022
    I love both, but I am disappointed there is so little discussion here. McLaren Life seems to be a little more active.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There are honestly more Ferrari guys on FerrariChat talking about McLaren than McLaren guys talking about it here.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    McLaren Life has always been more active, they got a good jump on us first to market. Our only competitive advantage is over the years we manage the community here better than Vertical Scope manages their communities.

6. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Finally I don't quite understand the reason why you took the McLaren part out of FerrariChat. I guess you expected to get more McLaren sponsors on a for Mac dedicated portal, which definitely didn't work out. Or maybe it was due to the fact that McLaren could profit more embedded in FerrariChat than Ferrari itself? Or was it the partly very heated discussions?

What is the bottom line calculation, did the removal of the McLaren part at least affect FerrariChat positively? Or was there a noticeable migration of McLaren fans to a completely new forum? (e.g. McLaren Life)

Well Rob, all speculations on my part, the real reason will probably be known to you. ;)

To be honest, I also initially saw the move more positively than negatively. But today we are wiser, too bad.

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I’d move it back.

Robb

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    • we were hoping the sum of parts would be greater, it turned out to be less although there is still healthy McLaren discussion on FerrariChat.
    • our Chairman of the Board at the time was Zak Brown, I talked to him every now and then, our hope was a closer factory relationship that would give McLarenChat an advantage. It turned out we couldn't get help from McLaren and Zak eventually stepped down from Motorsport.com as many saw it as conflict of interest.
    • McLaren Life had the critical mass for McLaren, but Vertical Scope had history of destroying forums. However, they were able to keep ML going stronger than their track record with other forums like Ferrari Life.
    I don't remember, PM me.

Robb likes this.