570S Questions | FerrariChat

570S Questions

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Joe_CT, Oct 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am considering trading my 488 Spider and Z06 and going into a 570S spider. I had a few questions I was hoping the forum could help answer:

1) Is there a “service reminder” that can only be reset by the dealer? I like to do my own service but the 488 Spider frustrates me that I can’t reset the service wrench.

2) Are there any known reliability issues with the 570S Spider?

3) Is there a configuration tool where I can price out the car with options? I can configure the car on Mclaren’s website but no pricing is there.

Thanks in advance

2. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    Seems like a step down. Maybe 600LT is a better comparison.

3. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    So far my 570 spider been rock solid engine wise, there are the odd electrical glitches like window once out of a 100 rolls down instead of up when locking the door, or infotainment cannot find stations, all resolve themselves by turning car off and on just like any modern day appliance LOL. And yes there is a service reminder

As far as pricing out options I'm positive there is but only dealer has that info.

4. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the responses. I agree the 570S Spider is not apples to apples to 488 Spider.

I am looking for a car that I could reliably drive everyday. The 488 has unfortunately not been that car (although I absolutely love it). I also want a car that I can service myself and not have to run to a dealer every time I need to reset the service reminder.

The Ferrari / McLaren dealers are not close to my house so it is a hassle to get the cars in for service. I also have a full shop with lift here at my house as well being a skilled technician (as well as a little OCD when it comes to my cars).

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I think you will have to talk to a dealer to get final pricing and options. My 570 has been rock solid. You could drive it every day. In fact, the more I drive it the better it runs. As far as a comparison. The 570 will run circles around a 488. The carbon tub is such an incredible platform to work from. The dynamics are incredible.

These are fairly easy cars to service. I love to do my own work as well. Fluids are a breeze, although the gearbox does have 5 drain plugs and there is a bit of a procedure to fill the thing. As does the clutch. There are no belts to worry about (timing or accessory). Coolant has a bleed procedure as well.

There is a service reminder to reset and you will need a dx tool to make it happen. They are available, but as of right now the pricing is absurd for a hobbyist.

6. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    How much is absurd? Hundreds or Thousands?

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    $10-$20K!

8. supernova

supernova Rookie

Nov 17, 2006
    Good Lord...

OP, I'm not sure if this is relevant anymore or not, but the KBB website allows you to price out most options on the car.

I like to do the service myself as well, and I've been thinking about picking up a used 570 at some point. Will a dealer reset the service reminder for you even if you do the service yourself? I imagine they'll likely charge for it, but not be pleased about it.

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Most will not reset the service interval unless they do the service. Fortunately, I have been able to get a proper McLaren tool. Problem solved!

10. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Well. I'm glad this post came up. I, as well, do my own work on my cars. Just pissed me off that another brand is 'hustling the wallet'! A 570 Spider was in my future, now, will need to re-evaluate.... shakes head! Paying a dealer to reset a oil change reminder.... well, maybe my $$$ are better spent elsewhere... just nonsense!

11. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    You think this is just McLaren???

Lambo did it, Ferrari notorious for it same with other companies.

The 570S is still relatively new, usually after a while another 3rd party will come up with a way to read OBD on a Mac and start to clear codes out yourself. I wouldn't be to overly worried about it, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

But if you plan on short term ownership then that might become problematic on resale, regardless doing the work yourself vs a Dealer will be problematic for any enthusiast purchasing an exotic.

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have always done the majority of work on all my cars (Ferraris, Porsche, AMG, McLaren). I keep meticulous records and have always gotten top dollar at sales time. There will always be the low ballers and tire kickers, but the true enthusiast who ends up purchasing my cars have appreciated the care that they have gotten vs a stamp from some 'expert'. With the McLaren, having a factory tool has added to the ownership experience for me.

Koenig1 likes this.