Can the 720s keep up with one of the most anticipated cars of the new year? | FerrariChat

Can the 720s keep up with one of the most anticipated cars of the new year?

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by aaronrgonz, Dec 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

488 is beautiful but so is the 720. You can like both, you dont need to favor one over the other. Its OK.

SoCal to az likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    First of all 315k is the base price. You are going to be closer to 360k for a decently equipped 720 spider. And yes- there isn’t an either or- both are great cars with their own pros and cons.

4. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    Yes they are both beautiful in their own ways and you are right, you don't have to favor one or the other. I would buy both if I could. Just pointing out that they are trying to compete with the most storied car company in the world, and whether or not it was plausible. Which I don't think it is.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They are not only competing but they are kicking their ass in many ways. Anyone other than the ultimate fanboys can see this. I am still interested in purchasing more Ferrari's old and new but Mac is doing a tremendous job in a short period of time. If only they could get the F1 team on track.

SoCal to az likes this.
  6. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    a lot of guys with coupes are going to feel the pain with all the trades for the spiders....

7. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Agree! Ferrari has to come up with the knockout punch with the 488 replacement

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm not so sure this is the case. Most I know have no interest in a spider. The only way I would consider one is if they gave me a big trade number and a big discount. I found it interesting that I could get an early allocation for a spider although I never put a deposit down or showed any interest.

Most I know are waiting for the LT.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I bet they will until the next iteration from Mac or Lambo. The differences performance wise will be minor, it will come down to features, experience and personal preference.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t get this blind aliegance towards companies.

I own both a 488 and a 720 and the young upstart from Woking is eating the most storied car company for lunch. So yes it’s plausible and possible.

But to think in these terms is childish. There isn’t a winner and a loser here other than the fact that we as customers and end users win by having more choices.

The 488 is epic, fast, visceral and storied. The 720 is fast as hell, has next level looks and unique.

Both are amazing cars and I don’t see actual owners of these cars talking poorly about the other brands. One can live in a world where both the Mclaren and Ferrari’s can coexist.

11. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
  12. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    I haven't pledged any sort of allegiance, and never stated they couldn't coexist, you are pulling words out of no where. The article clearly states that McLaren wants the 720s to compete with the Pista. I don't think they have the pull over Ferrari like that, if you ask 10 people if they would rather have a 488 Pista or 720s, 9/10 are going to pick the Ferrari, at least in my opinion.

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The only people that will blindly pick the Pista are those who really haven't owned/driven these cars, or the blind fanboys. Macs have finally put exotic, back in exotic cars. Ferraris, I'm afraid have become relatively common place in their quest for higher production numbers and better stock prices. I'm sorry to say, the magic is gone.

After 30+ years of Ferraris and far too many FCA (Posing, Parking and Eating) events, where the main topic is who has the lowest miles. It is a pleasure to be around guys that want to drive and track their cars, as well as enthuse about just having fun with cars.

gqa, greg328, Gh21631 and 1 other person like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    9 out of 10 are going to pick a Ferrari??? Not so sure about that. In my car group of friends- in the only one with a Ferrari. No one else is interested in one.

And 720 came out well before the Pista. When it was released, there was no such thing as the Pista- so not sure how the 720 could be created to beat a car that didn’t exist.

15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #15 Ingenere, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
    Ferrari has created a great niche with the 'special series', track focused cars (although very few get used for anything other than garnering a good valet spot. The Pista is an attempt at competing with the 720, even though the performance is more in line with the 600LT.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    9 out of 10 would pick a pista over a 720s is what he said

I think it would be closer to 7 out of 10 tho ;)

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The Pista is the only car available today that I would trade my 720 for BUT that greatly depends on the final numbers. I don't think the Pista is $200k better. Ferrari has done a great job convincing everyone that the car is in short supply however it seems there will more produced in a year than the 720.

IPO1 likes this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s what GH said. Depends on the numbers. Msrp of 400k vs msrp of roughly 350k for 720- yes more will pick the limited edition car vs regular production. But 150-200k premium for a Pista? No thanks. I’ll take 720 any day of the week.

IPO1 likes this.
  19. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    So you are part of the 3 out of 10 :D:p

The premium is more than worth it for an exclusive car that will be worth millions in the future, granted the 720s should eventually appreciate as well but I digress... 720s vs 488 (not pista)- no contest 720 hands down. The 720s spider should still be faster than the 488 spider, and still a better buy. But considering the pista is near identical to 720s numbers, and a limited edition car, it's the better buy imo

20. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    source? based on numbers I have, it's pretty close and expected pista won't be produced more than 2 years... the premium is not really for the car but for the opportunity to buy the car, typical Ferrari BS, but it's definitely not a waste of money. I'm sure Speciale owners are happy to see their cars already appreciating :)

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Pista will not be worth millions, it is no even an LE car. Please familiarize yourself with the market before making such claims. None of the Ferrari LEs are worth millions.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Speciales can be had at list or below. Apertas are a different story. Data is readily available. Ferrari makes almost 3x more cars than McLaren.

23. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    Never say never...

24. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Source? I'm seeing most speciales going for over list. With the current msrp and options, pista on the second hand market would easily crack 500k right now. based on Ferrari's history and the rate of inflation I think it's reasonable to expect a multi million pista in the future

yeah but what are the pista numbers and what are the 720s numbers?

edit:
    Also, a 12c can be had for less than a 458 italia

25. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Yes I want a 720S spider!