F450 DEF Issues | FerrariChat

F450 DEF Issues

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by stretchgeneral, Oct 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have a 2014 F450 diesel that is used in our equestrian business. Over the last couple of years I have had issues with getting the DEF low warnings with the mileage countdown till speed is limited etc., when my DEF is full. I have had it in and out of a local shop and they told me I had to take it to Ford for a real fix. Couple of months ago with no warning at all it went into limp mode and I could only drive about 4-5 mph. I got to the Ford dealer and it has been sitting there for 6 weeks. They say they are waiting on parts.

My question is if there is a way to remove the entire DEF function? Has anyone out there done it and if so how?

I have seen tuners online that allude to removing the emissions systems, but I am not sure. Meanwhile, I ordered the parts the dealer is waiting on myself and we will see who gets them in first.

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    You can remove it. But...you'll have to deal with emissions IF your state runs them on diesels (some states, for over 10K GVWR emissions isn't a requirement)

If you're going to do it, keep the stock removed parts, but go ahead and order a DPF/DEF/EGR delete kit, install it, and you'll love the HP/TQ increase, and no more of the ******** emissions requirements.

3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Deleting is the way to go if you're no longer worried about warranty. You'll have a more reliable vehicle, with better gas mileage and increased power. I'm not sure about MA, but TX doesn't do emissions on diesels. The only thing I'm not sure is whether you have to appear to have the original exhaust though the catalytic converter. I don't think so, but I thought I read something about it being okay as long as it visually looked stock; I just can't remember the context. When I had my diesel F250 I planned to delete mine after the 100k power train warranty expired for all of the reasons mentioned above.

4. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Very helpful. Thank you.

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Delete it is the way to go, if you can. But that varies by state, and I’m not sure if commercial is different as well. Tuners are getting harder to come by, the EPA has a target on everyone they can find lately.
    I’m a fan of leaving it all looking stock, but gutting the dpf and just leaving the DPF tank empty.

6. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have been checking with shops around Boston that can do the delete for me. They all are paranoid. "Don't you know that is illegal? We do not discuss work like that over the phone. Sure we can do do it, but only for off-road vehicles." I settled on one and was planning on towing my truck from the Ford dealer to them and miraculously the parts arrived and the dealer fixed it. So I have my stock DEF truck back. Emergency is over, but I will still get the delete done. But now I can drive it there.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have a Porsche diesel. The def works great. I guess there is a difference between US and German engineering.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It will work great for now. Keep in mind that diesel in there is an audi unit. They will all get the normal diesel issues. It's the crappy fuel we have here in north America. It just kills anything diesel.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So far at 62k miles, no problem.

technom3 likes this.
  10. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I am on my 4th Ford diesel truck. I have never had any issues with engine operation, power or reliability. The only issue ever has been on this last truck with the DEF sensor. The EPA mandated diesel exhaust fluid system, that gives you a warning within 500 miles of DEF empty, and then warns you at 100 miles to empty your speed will be limited to 50 mph and then when empty limits you to idle only, is the issue. That idiotic government mandate is the same regardless of the make and model. My issue on this latest truck was the jump straight to idle only, even when full of DEF. Which by the way, is an extreme safety hazard. Tooling down the interstate at 80 in and around Boston, with multiple lanes and then to instantly go to idle only was exciting........

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Porsche gives you a lot of warning, but if you ignore it, the truck stops stone cold dead. I carry some with me at all times. That said, I love my Cayenne. Pull 7,000 pounds no problem. No trailer gets 30 mpg at 90 mph. No smoke. Almost no clatter. Steel springs. I’ve run drag on Ferrari runs where I’m more on the brake than the gas. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, Germans know how to build ****.

Too bad, Porsche will never build another diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

technom3 likes this.
  12. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If your DEF Tank(s) are full and you get the countdown, there is likely a problem with the dosing injector. If the system is not consuming DEF at the determined rate based on miles/speed/load...etc...it may go into limp home mode.

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Those and the touregs are friggin phenomenal.

14. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes the VAG 3.0 TDI is quite a motor! I have the Audi Q7 TDI (Gen-2) and routinely get around 30 mpg or so on the highway. I just ran out of extended warranty so if I keep the old girl for a few more years, I will likely be doing a delete. Other than the emissions equipment crap, the only other concern is the CP4 High Pressure Fuel Pump failing, which can send tiny fragments throughout the fuel system - BIG $$$ TO FIX. So I plan on changing out the HPFP sometime next year as a preventive maintenance item.

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  16. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm not in Massachusetts....thankfully....

17. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Update: Ok, the truck was at the Ford dealer 8 weeks waiting on parts to fix the limp mode issue. I was just about to tow it to a custom shop for the delete kit, when the part miraculously arrived and they fixed it. I got the truck back. Yah.. That was 3 weeks ago. All good. Then yesterday about 6 miles from home, with no warning, it went back into limp mode.

I towed it to the custom shop this morning and the delete kit will be done by Friday.

normv and 19633500GT like this.
  18. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank You for the update. Sorry to hear the issue returned. From what others say, you will be happy with the delete.

19. Akg200

Akg200 Karting

Mar 10, 2022
    The States
    Glad you have taken care of the issues.

20. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Picked her up today. Much more power. All good.

19633500GT, normv and Texas Forever like this.