Maranellos are disappearing | Page 111 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    F456M and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Darius. Several countries in Europe used Carfax. Spain and Sweden are two if them. Norway is not using it.

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    bay, mrp_e, ctml and 1 other person like this.
  4. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I replaced the clutch at ~100,000 miles (~160,000 kms), wasn't slipping but was at maximum adjustment and combined that service with belts, trans. mounts, etc.

Ferrari55whoa and F456M like this.
  5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Do you know if that was the first clutch? Did it last THAT long?!

6. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Original clutch, I've owned the car since 2,500 miles on the odometer.

mathewr, ctml and F456M like this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That is impressive! Thanks for giving me courage to drive mine even more!

mrp_e likes this.
  8. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I was feeling pretty good about getting 30,000 miles out of mine until this thread

F456M likes this.
  9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Stephen.

When you say "at max adjustment", what do you actually mean by that? Where do you adjust and how?

Thanks
    Erik

10. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "Tazandjan" can give a better answer but on my 575 manual, there is no user clutch adjustment but clutch wear can be evaluated by direct inspection through inspection "ports"...

F456M and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    root, F456M, UroTrash and 4 others like this.
  12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    You have to be kidding me.

14. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'd love Bluebottle's perspective here, but considering that car is RHD, it's relegated to UK. Despite the smaller population of RHD cars, there is some substantial uncertainly in UK Consumer sentiment, which is a record lows. Most consumer debt, including mortgages, is held in 2-5yr loans, the FTSE is enjoying a moderate bounce from a drastic slide since August, and the steep slide in GBP has challenged/will challenge earnings and containing prices considering the UK is a massive net importer.

All this to say, I'd venture a guess the a combination of economic circumstances and the "any given Sunday" effect of an online auction could have resulted in a price that we consider low. But "low" is relative and the lens through which many of us in the US look through may be quite different from the actual eligible buying population for a RHD car in the UK in October 2022.

15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Auctions are, of course, a bit of a lottery and for all I know, it could have had some issues, but on the face of it, it is a very well spec'ed car in highly desirable colours and what I would regard as very low mileage.

Yes, the economic situation here in the UK is a trifle uncertain just now, but the sort of person who would buy a car of this nature is not likely to be on the breadline: if it's the car they want, then they are likely to go for it, as they don't exactly come up every day of the week.

Also do bear in mind that RHD cars are not confined to the UK. Both my 550 and my 246 went to Australia (and neither buyer had the opportunity to see the car before they had paid up and it arrived in Aus., so not much different from buying sight unseen at auction).

16. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep. UK market is very different from US, and even RoW, making sale price comparisons almost impossible.

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The real value of these cars are not the price, but the extra value your own life gets when you actually use them like they were intended and build for in the first place. They seem to take ALOT of miles and kilometers... That is my opinion. I have no idea when I am going to sell mine, but it is likely that it can happen in a very very long time. And fresh people who drive fast cars and boat sustain their young mindset and live a very long time too... :)

mrp_e likes this.
  18. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    #2769 Timmo, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    ^^ couldn't agree more.
    The status of our cars is slowly moving from being "used exotics" to "modern classics". Like everyone I wanted a low mileage garage queen for cheap when I was searching for mine, but after inspecting up close about a dozen I ended up buying the one with the highest mileage as it was clearly the cleanest of all I had seen and driven, suggesting to me it had been loved enough throughout its life to be kept in as much a good condition as possible for a regularly-used example, certainly meaning its previous caretakers could actually afford to run it and maintain it accordingly. To me this represents a non-negligible part of its actual value, as I think I can keep driving it without the stress that adding many more miles will devaluate it beyond an affordable point to me.
    This type of car may appeal more to enthusiasts who want to enjoy their Ferrari for what it is, understand and accept the costs associated, whilst (pretended) low mileage garage queens will probably appeal more to folks who should perhaps invest (even more) in the stock market and/or risk-safe assets. We just can't have our cake and eat it.
    I have found it is not always easy to make out the good cars from the bad ones, as many if not most have a general appearance which just does not make sense with what their advertised mileage pretends and/or their service history or lack thereof. Perhaps it's just me but as a hands-on, technical-minded enthusiast whenever I see a super low mileage example, and that is whether the adverstised low mileage is genuine or bogus, I struggle to not consider how much money will need to be spent to make it as reliable as another example which has been driven more, properly run-in (broken in) and ironed out over the long term as even if they were a technological leap forward compared with their predecessors they are still low production volume exotic cars.
    These are heavy cars and my experience is, contrary to light cars, I think they need to be driven to bed in/to settle/to get themselves together, if that makes sense.

F456M likes this.
  19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #2770 F456M, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    Amen to that Sir.

When I bought my car at 71.500 kms., I regarded that as quite low milage, although it was a bit more than my 456 with only 50-60k kms., and the 550 was not very delicate and had several small issues and repainted bumpers and scratches here and there after being used in the Italian heat and traffic. Now 100.000kms. later, the car is MUCH nicer and better looking, better running and gives a better overall feel. A guy looking at a 170.000 kms. Maranello would probably not wven come and see the car because of its milage. But the truth is that the car is in a lot better condition than when I bought it! What I have done to the engine is oil and filters, spark plugs, new AC compressor, new coolant and done the fans/shroud/wiring. Aldo have done belts and pulley bearings and waterpump (at 76.000 kms.) + one new oil pressure sensor. But except from that, the engine is not worked on at all!

Timmo likes this.
  20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    F456M likes this.
  21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I am no apologist for the economic and political mess the UK has gotten itself into. But, the UK RHD market for classic cars is traditionally very strong. The UK is by most measures the second or third biggest classic car market in the world. Exchange rate fluctuations make it hard to measure, and make Bluebottle's reference car look super cheap for the US market right now. And Brexit has affected the country's position as a clearing house. However, for the 30 or so years I have been observing and occasionally participating in the classic car market, I have more often noted that an equivalent classic is cheaper in continental Europe or the US than it is in the UK as a RHD.

There are also the curious economic demographics of Britain, which is essentially one city filled with the worlds super rich surrounded by a largely poor rest of country. London is the third or fourth richest city in the world by number of millionaires and billionaires, with more than Paris, Geneva and Zurich combined, for example. Many of these people are not British but they are more likely to buy a classic car than the average Brit and will buy UK RHD.

Back to the 550 in question, I think this is within 10 to 15 percent of the retail price, which is normal for auction, and I also agree that last weekend wasn't exactly a ride of consumer optimism given our Prime Minister roulette. Though that didn't stop some other cars in the same auction selling very well..

Ferrari55whoa and NE550 like this.
  22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    NE550 likes this.
  23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I definitely remember that interior….. can’t remember if we covered it here or I saw it on the Hemings ad.

For those miles (50k) and $160k that seems like “full retail”. I know MANY love Grigio Titanio but that and RC were low on my “desired color” list.

Didn’t see the description mention of last belt service date?

24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    For posterity…. ZFFZS49A2Y0119251