Can you upgrade California T mechanical key to the Shield key | FerrariChat

Can you upgrade California T mechanical key to the Shield key

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by JackyShi, Oct 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JackyShi

JackyShi Rookie

Oct 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jacky Shi
    I just bought the 2017 Ferrari California T HS, and it comes with 2 mechanical keys, and I am wondering if I could upgrade them to be the newer shield keys, like the one used for Portofino or 488. I will still keep the mechanical key to start the enginer / car, but want to use the shield key to lock/unlock the car possibly. Any insight is appreciated and thank you

2. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    You could use your phone with a bluetooth and wifi encrypted code to lock an unlock your phone. It would be fairly easy to do and you just need to access the Can B from the OBDII port.

The sad part is, that Can B shuts down to save power after about 10-15 minutes. So such a system would require waking up the ecu's on the Can B chain. Then also make sure that they all go back to sleep. Thus would be quit e a power drain on the battery. Just the WiFi/Bluetooth radio alone with a simple Arduino Nano would most likely draw 100mA constantly just to listen. Then quite a few amps to flip all the ecu's on.

Honestly just not worth it. To do it efficiently, would require a redesign of the system. Probably why they waited to the portofino to do it.