Jay Leno fire accident, any more details? | FerrariChat

Jay Leno fire accident, any more details?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitzman, Nov 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I sent this as an editorial bit could update it if anybody has more facts or observsations....

THE SAFETY PICTURE:THE LENO INCIDENT

True, the facts aren't out yet. What kind of car was it?Had Leno just finished driving it?
    I talk of Jay Leno, the comedian whose car collection alone covers 160 cars.
    Last Saturday one car exploded, and Leno was seriously burned.
    I met Leno many times at car events, sometimes when he was driving something truly outlandish like an old Bentley with a V12 engine from a P51 fighter plane.
    Many of his cars not only pre-date any safety standards but were pieced together by hot rodders. Not that hot rodders build unsafe cars but let's just say their gas tank placement, fueling devices, etc, are often "Jerry-rigged" and wouldn 't pass any government regulation that applies to standard cars. One of the wildest is a jet turbine powered car built by Chrysler as a part of a fleet bodied in Italy, built only for testing.
    Lerno got sprayed in the face by gasoline which then ignited. He also had damage to his hands. A comedian's appeal is in their face but hey he could do voice overs while recovering/
    The lesson for car restorers is multi-faceted here. First every car should have a fire extinguisher nearby. Second, I hope he was outside the building when this happened.Third, inspection for fire danger should be weekly, yes, on all 160 cars. With a clipboard in front telling when it was last checked.
    Finally some news stories mention his net worth at over half a billion dollars. If he doesn't have a full time fireman on duty this is a mistake.How much could that man's salary be when some of the cars he has like a Miura, he got for free.
    So i hope he re-arranges his priorities.
    He escaped this time, but there's a lesson in this cock-up for us all. It doesn't matter how much he knows about cars, he pushed the limit on safety. And taught us all to be ready.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Wow! I think 80% of the time I'm working with a face shield and the other 20% of the time I probably should be using my face shield. I can't tell you the number of people I know who have chipped or lost a tooth getting hit by a socket or lugnut coming off an air tool. One of the coolest things today are the electric impact guns that sense the nut coming loose and slowing down after being impact gunned off. The nut and socket don't ever go flying with new electric impact tools.

Leno had the Element fire extinguisher guys on his show once I think. They are a super simple device that every car should have. They are like a flare and not a heavy fire bottle that has to be very secure so as not to be a missile inside your car.

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    In the early stages of this story but news report said 1908 steam car. They named the brad but talked so fast I couldn't hear it. I met him once when he was driving a Stanley steamer but I think this was open car.

But then the same reports say "sprayed with gasoline."
    As far as i know, steam cars do not use gasoline so there's some more explanation needed.

Also he had hand damage as well. The device you mention sounds good but since steam cars don't use gasoline maybe they thought fire extinguisher was not needed..

4. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    Oh well! I hope he is doing OK

5. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    The Gas is used to heat the water to make steam.. Very complicated.

Joe

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #6 BJK, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #7 BJK, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Jay's friend Dave Killackey tells his side

Octonion likes this.
  8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #8 BJK, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    July 2012 > Jay and 'Overhaulin' resto-modded Dave Killackey's Chevy Nomad. ..... so, 10 years later, I guess they're even now. :D

The car, Jay and Dave on 'Jay Leno's Garage'

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  9. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I am only curious about one thing: why is it none of his hair is even singed?

10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Davesvt2000 likes this.
  12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I dont know, either he has gotten old or??
    To me he slurs his speech , sometimes more than others..
    He has to have been on pain killers