599 Clock Loses Time - How??? | FerrariChat

599 Clock Loses Time - How???

Discussion in '612/599' started by Skidkid, Nov 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am trying to understand how this is even possible. Would love to hear your hypothesis.

The clock in my 599 loses at least 1 min per month, actually a bit more. I have to constantly reset the time to have it anywhere near correct. That is very odd!
    • It is a digital clock so it shouldn't lose time. Oscillators only work at one frequency.
    • The batter is new. Even then, unless it was to low to power the circuit at all an oscillator will work.
    • I drive it often, at least every day or two.
    • Parked in garage so no huge temp swings; I live in CA as well so weather is temperate.
    Thoughts? I am not worried about this but I am a bit puzzled.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Because time slows down when you're driving your Ferrari

SonomaRik, 599_GTO and Skidkid like this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clock is just not set to exactly match the vibration frequency of the quartz crystal. My 575M is about the same. Lowest bidder.

ryalex likes this.
  4. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    My 612 is the same way. I must set the clock every few weeks or the the time will be noticeably off.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I didn't check but I would have guessed it uses the average cheap clock chip. BUT, the way it behaves it is as if they made an oscillator (not crystal based but RC) and went from there.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Both my 550's too! Ferrari is king of the low bidder. Some would say this year they hired the cheap strategists on the F1 pitwall as well.

7. doodja

doodja Rookie

Oct 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeff Dood
    For what it's worth....I have a 599, but also happen to have a 2017 Ram van and it does the same thing. Doesn't make sense to me either. Being digital and all. Haven't paid attention to the 599's clock, but probably the same story.

8. sabre66

sabre66 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    50hz vs 60hz would cause this......it was built with EU chip by accident.;)

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yea, but it is 12V DC

10. sabre66

sabre66 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    You make a valid point buuuuut in my line of work mostly low voltage (12-24vdc) i have to select which power source I'm using ie. 50 or 60 hz. One of my techs accidentally chose 50hz and the clock was always getting thrown off, messed up my automation's on a monthly basis. So I think it still holds water my assumption.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Most of the new ones, like my wife's Mercedes, are slaved to the GPS and autocorrect.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Cannot understand how a battery powered clock has any dependency on AC power frequency. Cheap electronics can drift though.

13. mike051

mike051 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I am in EU (France) and my clock is loosing time too. Inside the car, everything is using 12V DC. This is not a question of a US supply or a EU supply via the CTek.
    I also think frequency of the quartz is not as accurate as it should.

SonomaRik and Skidkid like this.
  14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Sure, but you are thinking of it being plugged into a wall. There is no 50/60 Hz in auto electronics. Sorry, but you are in my wheelhouse here. I am an EE even if I have been in sales for a long time.

15. sabre66

sabre66 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    You are correct about being plugged into the wall part........but maybe being plugged into a tender is causing this issue.....LOL. My 2 cars ( non fcars) not plugged in never seem to have clock skew issues....Just saying......:D;)...WOW i think I derailed this one sufficiently

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    2015 F12 clock loses time too. I don’t understand how, either. Especially since it has satellite radio and could sync on its own.

Skidkid likes this.