best glove box size fire extinguisher? | FerrariChat

best glove box size fire extinguisher?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Edward 96GTS, Nov 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    would like to carry one in each car.

2. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    ag512bbi likes this.
  3. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Certainly better than not having anything in the car, but I researched this a lot, and those "flare type" extinguishers will have trouble if conditions are windy, or if a fire is already of a substantial size.

While they have the advantage that they expel retardant for a long time, folks generally neglect to point out that it takes this sort of extinguisher a lot longer to extinguish a fire that is of significant size. With a standard bottle extinguisher; you can put-out a fire a lot faster, and not have to get nearly so close to it.

I would advise watching a few videos of folks putting-out *substantial* fires (to me, a fire in a constraining BBQ grill does not count) with various types of extinguishers, and decide which guy you would prefer to be.

I decided to live with attaching a mount inside my cars...

readplays and TTR like this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm pro element too

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i heard at a club meet yesterday that there are small portable extinguishers that easily mount under the hood and it will automatically go off if a fire is detected.

6. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  7. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    When racing, I had a fire-extinguishing system in the car for the engine compartment and fuel cell compartment, and cabin. The purpose was not really to extinguish the fire (although one hoped it would), but to suppress it enough to give you extra seconds to get out of the car and away from the burning vehicle as quickly as possible. I had a friend whose 911 suffered a blown fuel rail plug and the installed extinguishing system gave him a few extra seconds to scramble out of the car before the rear end melted. Luckily, it was at a pro track track (Watkins Glen) and the track crew was there instantly with their huge extinguishing equipment and the car was actually salvageable. And while you don’t have to get as close as with the Element, you still can’t stand 10-15 feet away and expect to put out a big fire with a fire bottle.

With street cars that are fully insured, I’m fine with an Element extinguisher because if the fire is too big to put out with that device, I’m going to walk away vs risk my life for a vehicle, no matter how rare and beautiful it might be. And the residue left by the other types of extinguishers leave a massive mess of gritty material and/or are toxic to breathe. Nope, if the fire is big enough that I can’t get close enough to put it out with the Element, then I’m going to get the hell away as fast as I can and call 911.

That’s just me. Everyone has to make their own choice after doing their own research. I’m comfortable with my choice.

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I heard these are GREAT!
    I carry just small fire extinguishers in each of my cars. You just never know!

9. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Those small extinguishers might be good for your peace of mind but might not really help you in case of a fire.
    Most of the time it is already too late until you realize that something is on fire in your car. When you are driving everything is hot and this heat will always fuel a fire. There is a lot of flammable material in a car and if an oil- or fuelhose is broken there is nothing you can do unless you have a something big . I remember a friend's 288 GTO burning down to cinder and not even the big extinguishers of 2 trucks that stopped to help could stop the fire. He had one of those small extinguishers but when he realized the fire in the engine compartment and stopped on the German Autobahn it was already too late to save the car.

turbo-joe likes this.