512S and M Engines - Type 261 | FerrariChat

512S and M Engines - Type 261

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by harryglorydays, Nov 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. harryglorydays

Nov 16, 2022
    I am currently researching an article where the details of the Type 261 V-12 engines used in the 1970 and 71 512S and M models come into play. I have talked to several knowledgeable people about the cylinder head sealing on these engines. As I understand it, the first engines used in the 512S models used cooper rings to seal the combustion chambers. I would imagine that this arrangement would require a groove to be cut in the block deck and/or the cylinder heads. The later 512M cars did not use the cooper rings, they sealed the combustion chambers by the cylinder sleeves protruding slightly from the deck, resulting in a seal when the cylinder head was torqued. I understand there were actually three variations of the Type 261 motor used in the 512. Does anyone here have any detailed knowledge on these motors?

2. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Don't have an answer for you, but this might get more response down in the vintage section. Some knowledgeable members in there.....

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This is interesting . I was surprised to hear there were different types of engines for the 512, M and S.
    Originally, 25 Ferrari 512S were produced and displayed to obtain homologation in the Sport category by new FIA rules.
    Some 512S were used in 1970 by the Scuderia, other were sold to clients, private teams, importers, etc ... and some were unsold.

As far as I know, the 1971 512M were just 512S from the original production, rebodied with a new aero kit.
    I wasn't aware they also received different engines. No 512M was entered by the factory in 1971.
    As the Sport category became redundant from 1972, some 512 unsold cars were cannibalised and their chassis turned into Group 7 to race in CanAm with larger engines.

4. SEFAC HOTROD

SEFAC HOTROD Rookie

Jul 14, 2008
    Mark Donahue gets into it a bit in the"unfair Advantage"

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Been thinking about this and it seems anyone who would have been involved in-period is no longer
    with us.

The alternative might be a good book on the subject and it turns out a friend has this 512 M/S
    workshop manual. Looks as though the book might contain the information you're looking for.

Check Ferrari Literature or maybe an ad in Ferrari Market Letter would render desired results.

BHW

Attached Files:

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Try the vintage forum. At least one person there owns and races a 512S and I would say a few others might have restored them.

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    They had Traco overhaul their particular car, to great results.

Also to throw into the mix was the 512 "F" raced by Scuderia Filipinetti.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Traco only did the engines the car remained in the eastern US and was totally re engineered by Penske and Donohue.

9. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ah yes you're right, sorry, I meant the engine, as that's what the thread was about.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Filipinetti's 512 "F" was engineered by Michael Parkes using a 512M body with Porsche 917 windscreen to reduce the frontal area.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    My dream would be to have a 512M for the street, like Count Rossi had a 917 made.... I have always loved those cars. Bob Rapp let me sit in his car, and drive it from the viewing area to his truck at Road Atlanta in 1997... everyone else was going ga ga over his 333 - but the 512 was THE car!

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In Atlanta? You'd be crazy to drive it on the street, Tom.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I think it could be quite a challenge to drive a 512M in every day traffic.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Never said it made sense, but it would be cool. a few huge Radiator fans and I think it would be ok... you would need a huge fan in the cockpit as it gets really hot in there even with the roof off.

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Dean Martin's son - Dino Martin had a 330P4 converted for street use - it was bright yellow... fly Yellow. He drove it in LA - Beverly Hills = not a lot cause it was always in the shop, but you have to admit he had the coolest Ferrari around!

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I used to see a lot of a Ford GT40 in Kensington (London) in the early hours of the morning, when there was not much traffic.
    I could never catch its owner to engage in conversation, so I don't know if it was an original one or a "continuation", but it made the right noise and sprinted from junction to junction like a rat up a drain pipe. Sure way to wake up the neighbourhood !

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The first time I was ever in London, was the summer of 85, and one Sunday morning around 8:30 ish, my dad and I were walking along Kensington High st... and a red 206SP Dino came blasting past... an hour later were heading back to the hotel, and the Dino was parked in front on the street! never got to see who's it was.

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    3 variations....? Maybe 1970, 1971 and endurance versions. Maybe to run at Lemans/Daytona, or maybe Penske/TRACO developed with SF's assistance the sealed version.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was once walking down 5th Avenue in midtown Manhattan, and a red 308 came around the corner. I don't think driving a Ferrari in Manhattan traffic makes a whole lot of sense.

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    when I used to work in Manhattan in the late 80's you would see a lot of Ferrari's around, but it always seemed to me crazy with all the huge potholes... let alone parking garages. I remember once in late November seeing a 328 on the 59th st. entrance of the Plaza Hotel - door open, running and nobody in there, the door man watching the car.... then a girl in a fur coat and a guy in a long winter coat come out and then get in... all you could see was fur and two heads.... not what I would call a fun day.

21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Well, s/n 1002 participated in the 1971 Tour de France d'Automobile and I photographed s/n 1016 at the Tour Auto in 1998.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

635CSI likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes I know, and hopefully they were not too often driving at snail pace in town traffic.
    It still rests a challenge to drive a sportscar on the road, and I gather not too enjoyable.