More Old Photos | Page 466 | FerrariChat

More Old Photos

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bertocchi, Jan 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  3. Deemeyere Wim

Deemeyere Wim Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    See here. May be a California Spyder replica by now.

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #11631 miurasv, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    I don't think it is the bare chassis of 0803 in Wim's post with 2018 picture and as in the 2020 DK Engineering video I posted? That chassis also had incorrect disc brakes. 0803 was already built into a RHD 1957 250 TR replica with drum brakes, as in your picture, in the 90s by DK Engineering.

7. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Only one distributor?

8. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Not sure of the nature of your question, but from a period approximately 1957 to 1958, Ferrari tried a single 12-lead Marelli distributor, Marelli St.195 DTEM-KS, applied often to road-purpose 250GT V12. Competition-purpose cars appear to all have still used the twin Marelli distributor arrangement. By 1959, this particular experiment was abandoned and 250 GT had again typically twin 6-lead distributors.. Other versions of the 12-lead distributor were used in pairs on the Vittorio Jano-designed twin-plug, four-cam, competition motors - 315S, 335S, etc. A version of this 12-lead distributor was also used on the Maserati 3500GT twin-plug six-cylinder motor. As used in the 250GT, the distributor was troublesome in that the rotor design caused internal arcing, as described in an excellent article about this unit written By Dyke Ridgley for the Ferrari Market Letter many years ago.

9. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm rather new to the Ferrari cars, but have been focusing on the Boano/Elena cars since I finally fulfilled my quest for a '56 Boano. I haven't witnessed a single distributor on any of these models, although I haven't dug too deep yet. I have seen varying numbers of mechanical fuel pumps however. This Elena Chassis baffles me somewhat with the centered shifter on the transmission (usually Boano/Elena version have it offset to the left), and the trans case looks different. The seats are extra sporty as well? But I understand that this may be a display chassis, and not super accurate for Road Cars. Perhaps a TDF?
    The twin-plug, four cam engines you mention with the dual 12 lead distributors must be amazing. My Maserati 3500GT uses just one of these type distributors as you mention.
    I'm always learning! Many Thanks, RF.

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Actually the each distributor in the four cam Belantani engines (not Jano, but using Jano style valve gear) has four sets of points, as the engine has four coils.. Setting them up is a project

375+, Bryanp and readplays like this.
  11. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
  12. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    Hi, sorry to noise you, but I hope your wonderful knowledge of the Ferrari's may help me (for models) to solve the question of the tiny white line between colors in some cars. I show two cars: Ferrari 375 winner of 1000 km of Buenos Aires (Saenz Valiente) and the 275 GTB #29 at Le Mans...is a photo artifact or really it is there? Thank you for watching, all the best,
    Alessandro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Scuderia CC and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Call it a photo artifact or optical illusion, but that tiny white line between colors isn’t really there. It is a trick of the eye rather than a small strip of white paint.

14. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    Wow, many thanks!
    Alessandro

readplays likes this.
  15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  16. BtvFerrari

BtvFerrari Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2020
    The Netherlands
    No, don’t throw them away! I love to see these old photo’s.

PS If you do want to throw them away, I would be happy to take them from you : )

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi Marcel,

I honestly don't know if they are as valuable or even collectible as they are not in period pictures. They are also non official pictures. But judging from your reaction there must be a market for them.

19. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I think Peter means that now he has the scans he has no need to keep the physical photographs.

bigodino and BtvFerrari like this.
  20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nothing to do with market or not. Forget money.
    Always, absolutely always, keep physical prints.
    1994 might not be "in period" right now but today in 30 years? Or 50?

Marcel Massini

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    +1

22. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    For those who don't know, any digital document is just visible as long as the electronics are working. The day a serious solar flare (or something else) is going to kill all our electronic devices, those who have thrown away photos, books and other docs will regret it.

amerikalei and readplays like this.
  23. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Exactly Jonathan. And to answer Giotto's worry: I have them copied on a portable back up disk, disconnected from my desktop.
    It seems I've stirred up an interesting topic. If I had plenty of space I wouldn't worry too much about keeping physical material. But I don't have plenty of space and on top of that digital pictures are so much easier to archive, search and access. But maybe something for another day to discuss. I don't want to derail this thread.

24. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    I'm talking about a *serious* solar flare or something similar that will also make external backups inaccessible or destroy them. In the meantime, yes, an electronic documant is easier to archive.