Out in public, turning heads and taking Pictures | FerrariChat

Out in public, turning heads and taking Pictures

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by im4524, Nov 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. im4524

im4524 Rookie

Jun 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    George Spatola
    Hi,

I am a new owner and only have put on about 100 miles due to weather and a little fear.

Now is the perfect top down weather, the days are just like I wished----a perfect day to take the car out. I bought my car to get out and drive it. Yet, now I am a bit fearful. On the few trips, I worry about parking and leaving the car out. All it takes is one person who thinks I did not deserve my new toy...

A friend had a classic car damaged (keyed) by someone who was angry he did not have a car.

Should I be worried? I stopped to get fuel and came back to find someone sitting on the hood taking selfies already. I didn't mind the pictures but, sitting on the car?!?!?!!?

paulchua likes this.
  2. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    1) people are aholes and the pandemic hasn't helped
    2) for those that cause actual damage, just make sure you have good insurance.

DocBasilone likes this.
  3. im4524

im4524 Rookie

Jun 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    George Spatola
    I think it is the fear that has me the most. I have never owned a higher end car and am really surprised first how much attention it gets and second that I now fear damage.

DocBasilone likes this.
  4. Mondi Cab

Mondi Cab Karting

Oct 9, 2019
    EU
    Full Name:
    J.Schulz
    I understand your concerns, but it is something you will have to live with.
    If you don't drive it, you won't enjoy it, so drive as much quality miles as you can.
    With that I mean: long hauls so your oil is allowed to get up to temperature. I have my personal minimum at 30km which is already not realy a long haul.
    If you can't avoid parking in public places, try to go far from the rest. At a mall f.e., most try to park close to the entrance, so do the opposite.
    If you go for a hotel, choose one with private parking. Otherwise use a cover for overnight stays. (might sound ridiculous in warm and dry aereas, but birds do **** on any car and regarding those lads taking selfies: who would want to take one on a covered car ?)

I took my T cab down to South of France, Italy, Belgium, UK and enjoy her the more miles I put on. I parked at malls, street, marina and even a terribly cramped and narrow indoor parking lot in Grasse. Of course I am always slightly worried leaving her alone somewhere, but that anxiety is the price of not going by Prius....

Below is how I left her on the streets for a week whilst we were out boating.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    after that it comes down to luck or faith.....

DocBasilone and Shorn355 like this.
  5. im4524

im4524 Rookie

Jun 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    George Spatola
    Do you think a cover helps?
    I might have to get one.

DocBasilone likes this.
  6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Is it legal to lock and leave the exterior of your car ‘electrified’? :)

7. JayG

JayG Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Jay G
    I just don’t leave the car anywhere I can’t see it or in my locked garage. Even with good insurance, what will it matter when a brick hits and breaks some NLA part? Plan your drives accordingly. For weekend getaways, I’m taking our unloved Prius. 5 times the mpg and too boring to worry about vandalism.

8. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    100 miles and already someone sitting on your car for a selfie is a bit unusual, I think.

Of course be aware of where you drive, where you leave it, etc., but try not to let the (relatively few) ****ty people suck the fun out of ownership. As time goes on and the miles accumulate, you'll likely find most people don't even notice or care, and of the ones that do, the vast majority will give you a thumbs up.

DocBasilone likes this.
  9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I find that even the miscreants sense these old rare exotics are special, and owned by enthusiasts. I am sure there are wankers out there that will damage anything for kicks, but I don't think people will go out of their way to damage a classic. I get thumbs up from kids, blue collar types and service workers all the time, it appears to brighten the day, as it does for me too.

I think having anything nice can have the object own you, rather than the other way around. So just drive, and enjoy being in the moment.

10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes- Definitely- I have two covers for each of my cars- one for parking lots, outdoors etc and one for indoors, storage etc. Not only do they avoid bird droppings, tree sap etc but they are a visual deterrent- Otherwise drive and enjoy the car but you will need to park farther away (good exercise) and/or whenever possible park it where you can see it- if you go to restaurant or hotel with valet bring extra cash and tip them to park it in front and watch it- cheap insurance and fun.

Otherwise make sure YOU/IT are over-insured and enjoy it!!

Cheers :cool:

11. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    paulchua, moysiuan and of2worlds like this.
  12. im4524

im4524 Rookie

Jun 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    George Spatola
    Well,
    I ordered a cover today.
    Yesterday took it out for date night and had to stop at the grocery store. Inside less than four minutes and a older guy walked his cart over and put it next to the car so he could pull out. Just about 4 inches from the car and any wind surely would have had it rolling.
    The rest of the night was great. Many admirers that were respectful!

DadsFerrari likes this.
  13. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Congratulations George and welcome to the Mondial world! I truly hope you will be so happy that you entered this very small community, with a smile from ear to ear with every drive. I generally find after 14 years of ownership that the Mondial is more appreciated than resented by its Italian heritage amongst the non tifosi, especially because of its vintage Enzo era old school status. I purchased mine with 25k miles and I’ve more than doubled that over the years. I’m not afraid to drive it places. I’ve had it to Home Depot, Walmart, supermarkets, Chipotle and the like. Last night I took it from Philly suburbs to the Jersey shore after a needed water pump repair. The guys who fixed it did an outstanding job and I drove it very spiritedly. I was so happy last night. It made me feel young and vibrant and I needed that after a long hard week. I just took it for gas this morning and a cup of coffee at Wawa, gave it a quick detail, and it will chill down here until next time I need to feel alive.
    Is it the prettiest. No.
    Is it the fastest. No.
    Is it the most expensive. Far from it.
    But it is the best usable Ferrari. Period. By far. So enjoy!

14. im4524

im4524 Rookie

Jun 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    George Spatola
    I love the color!

Are the seats original?

15. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Yes they are. My car, which is one of the few Classiche Certified Mondials, is all original. Nero with Crema. But I have had my seats redyed as they do age, especially from all the use, despite tons of Leatherique applications.

moysiuan likes this.
  16. im4524

im4524 Rookie

Jun 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    George Spatola
    Do you store it with the top down? I was told that will let it shrink?

17. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Don't forget the window!

18. im4524

im4524 Rookie

Jun 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    George Spatola
    The window?

19. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I always have the top down when I’m enjoying it and storing it. The top only goes up when it travels for service or repair or concours events, the latter which I haven’t done in a while but are a requirement for them. Yes, it shrinks a little if always left down, but I don’t care. The top is a little bit of a pain, so I prefer to simply leave it down, ready to enjoy.

365boxer likes this.
  20. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great looking Mondial. My 87 has the 348 wheels on it, which do look nice, but wouldn’t mind scoring oem rims one day. They look perfect.

21. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    There is no answer to your question, just own it and drive it and enjoy it. if you spend time worrying about it then you should just sell it. I don't even lock mine.Nick

22. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Totally agree. This morning decided to enjoy sunrise with her.

Il Steeg, paulchua, donkost and 2 others like this.
  23. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    This is what I should try- just leave the top down when the weather is nicer. I was always concerned that it would be a struggle to get it back up again after being left down for long periods of time. So you're saying that any shrinking is temporary and you are able to get it stretched back into shape and latched in place again, correct?

24. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    No. If you leave the top down, it will be more prone to rips and tears on it, particularly the c column, which is under the most tension when up. I happen to have a spare top, but don’t plan to use it. Ever. I’ve had to stitched up my canvas before for top repair as a result.

I have intermittently put my top back up after very protracted periods of time of the top being down. For transport on flatbeds, for trips to Ferrari shops, for inclement weather, and for Concours events. It has always been able to go back up, as long as the rear windows have been functional. They (rear window motors) are probably the biggest concern with whether or not you can get the top up. The grease does dry out for those rear motors and does have to be replaced before the friction burns out or freezes the windows at the motor bushings.

donkost likes this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Sadly, poo happens:

That said, make sure you own the car and not the other way around. Just get good insurance.

350HPMondial likes this.