What is the most difficult maintenance item on a 308 | FerrariChat

What is the most difficult maintenance item on a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by ferrariowner, Nov 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I performed some routine maintenance on my 308 this weekend and while doing so I thought of all the different repairs and services I had performed over the last 30+ years. Here is my list of least favorite.
    • Replace AC lines
    • Replace shifter seals with engine in car
    • Replace heater hoses under bonnet
    • Replace engine mounts
    These were some that I remember.

What is your least favorite?

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The little piece of water hose under the intake manifold wasn't an early favorite of mine.

ferrariowner and moysiuan like this.
  3. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Heater hoses in front scuttle area was no fun. More sliced and scraped flesh than most any other job I have completed on my car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ferrariowner likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's really the small things...

- applying sealant on the front bank when replacing valve cover seals. Hard for me to see/reach

- dealing with the AC compressor when replacing timing belts. I've found a method that makes it tolerable, but still the worst step of the procedure

- cam timing adjustment: haven't done it, need to do it, and dreading it.

ferrariowner and moysiuan like this.
  5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Agree re the AC compressor/cam belts. Why do you need to do a cam timing adjustment, are you wanting to change the cam timing to other than stock?

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    When I replaced the camshaft seals (leaked), I used the witness/assembly marks to reinstall... I wasn't aware that they aren't meant to be used for final timing. So they're close enough that valve damage isn't occuring, but the cycle itself isn't optimal.

Jbrauer likes this.
  7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Replacing the starter with the engine in the car. Almost got the best of me.

moysiuan likes this.
  8. MrGrigio

MrGrigio Formula 3

Dec 19, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Rennie Stein
    Replacing the bushes on a 308 - what were they thinking with the welded bushes?

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is a notion I've never been able to come to terms with because frankly, it makes absolutely no sense. That they would make permanent witness marks that were just in the ballpark and not accurate even though they were obviously going to set the valve timing to the "optimal" position in the end before putting the engine in the car and selling it to the customer. Why on Earth would they make those marks before doing that? How would they even decide where to put them? Furthermore there is a spec for valve clearance that has a range, also the shims are manufactured in steps of thickness that have their own tolerances of error. So it is impossible to build an engine that has the exact same clearance on every single valve down to a gnats hair and even if you did it would not remain as such throughout the operational life of the motor. So which valve are you going to use to set up this uber-optimal timing position? I like working with my dial indicator too and I like precision but there is a myriad of potential anomalies that can introduce errors into your results so be wary of them. It might be worth it to verify your marks just in case Jussepie goofed up when he built the engine but I really think this is an OWT

As for my least favorite 308 task: window regulators - hands down.

tbakowsky likes this.
  10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I'm going to take the argumentative stance. The timing notch is spot on. I know it's been days that it was done at the factory during build. I'm not sold on that, only because I've had dozens run thru for new cam profiles and out of sheer curiosity I had about a dozen of them encoded with reference to that mark... Guess what? Either ol jussepie was a wizard or they were marked by the mfg. They were all identical. Not to mention.. ever try and Mark one? Hardened.

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm sure the marks on the cams are manufactured and identical, the "witness" marks are stamped onto the #1 bearing cap with a punch to correspond with the cam mark when the timing is set. There would be no reason to stamp that mark on the cap prior to setting the timing for the particular engine.

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The caps are not stamped during assy. Just snapped a couple pics...
    Notice the wear of camshaft on the face and how far down the "notch" is.

This why I don't follow the claim of the marks not being correct.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    For me, rebuilding the AC system after 22 years of ownership without having it, it was a ****ing nightmare For my 328 89 GTS.

Big G

ferrariowner likes this.
  14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It's not about correct or not, it's about accuracy. The diameter of the cam where the mark is is what? About 1" or so. That means rotation of the cam 1 degrees would move the mark less that 0.01". That corresponds to 2 degrees of crankshaft rotation. One degree of crank rotation would move the mark a little over 0.004".

Given that, even the WSM states when possible time the cams with a degree wheel.

15. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Very true but also not what's in question. I was simply pointing out that the claim that the marks were made during assy doesn't jive with what I've seen over the yrs while working and engineering these engines. The cap is cast and machined with the timing Mark, the camshaft is very likely also mfg with the timing Mark, as they all have the exact same index point.

The variation is going to be the shim and seat.

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Removing and installed US spec exhaust manifolds with heat shields and air injection pipes in the way. That job SUCKS

bitsobrits likes this.
  17. Fitz

Fitz Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Amelia Island
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have owned my GTB for almost 20 years and done all kind of work but replacing the starter with engine in car and no lift gets my vote for the nasty job.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Dane, ferrariowner and smg2 like this.
  18. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Replacing the steering rack on a GT 4 .Bolts on the clamps / brackets are almost inaccessible near the bulkhead.

ferrariowner and smg2 like this.
  19. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yes, that one sticks in my mind as well.

20. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    This.
    Doing the job on axle stands, with the fuel tanks out. I was squeezed into the wheelarch/bulkhead and was concerned I would get stuck. It was the automotive maintenance equivalent of pot-holing.

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There is a pretty long list for the 308 and GT4. But, the one that really sucks is the heater hose replacement.

smg2 likes this.
  22. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I’ll go with headlight stalk replacement and ring, distributor seals, shift shaft seals, axle boots and window motor clean up. All because I haven’t done any of it on my Euro 308, lazy and I haven’t driven it forever, the other ones get all my love

23. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Dane, Harry-SZ, moysiuan and 4 others like this.
  24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I first got my car I looked at those heater and defroster duct tubes and came to the conclusion that this is what the big black fiberglass cover is for, so you don't have to see them.

smg2 and BLACK HORSE like this.
  25. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Just added an ‘85 GTS to the collection. Planning an engine out service to replace all seals and belt. Also doing all suspension work. Curious though what else I should consider doing since the car will be apart for a few months? Mileage is 28,700. Aside from the clock, everything works.

I’m not intending to enter the car to be judged in shows. But, my goal is to make it as close to perfect as possible…with peace of mind that aside from necessary routine things periodically, the car won’t need anything for years. I really don’t expect to put a lot of miles on it. But, I also don’t want to have to ship it off each time I drive it, because something needs service that I should’ve had done. So, suggestions are appreciated.