TR issue/stalling with cold engine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TR issue/stalling with cold engine

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by plip, Nov 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, 0.91V on an unplugged O2 sensor (relative to ground) at warm idle is towards the rich side of things -- should be more like ~0.7V (just slightly richer than stoichiometric) and will still vary some so you've got to do sort of an average watching the voltmeter.

There is a lot of hysteresis in the water thermoswitch switching action -- it opens (nominally) when the temp reaches 63 deg C, but won't close again until it has cooled to 36 deg C (although both of these specified switching temps have probably +/- 5 deg C or even +/- 10 deg C tolerances).

2. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    #27 plip, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    Very good morning Steve

So, have now tried with cold engine (sat overnight) and by shortening the terminals 30 and 87 of relay 2. Much, much better indeed. No fluctuating idle, accelerating and releasing bring the RPM down fluctuate a couple of time but then rise and stabilize at 1000 RPM.
    Incidentally had the multimeter probes always connected to terminal 85 and 86. 14.6 Volts until 6 mins and 30 sec after which, when thermoswitch opens, drop to Zero. At that point in time temp gauge shows abt 70 deg. Thermoswitch seems to do its job properly.

Now why the heck idle does fluctuate with the relay inserted (tried 2 different relay BTW) and does NOT when shortened. Too much resistance in the wiring loom not bringing a 'proper/strong' signal to ECU pin 16 ? Have actually checked ECU Pin 16 and round connector PIN 15 for continuity and see no problem.

As a matter of fact had sort of similar issue when got the car in 1998. If switched engine off warn the starter solenoid would not engaged (as the was no power at all in the battery but instrument cluster and all electric worked) until was slightly cool down. Cured it by installing an additional relay on the starter. Never an issue since. Could it be same sort of problem ? Higher resistance building up in the wiring loom ?

Well having removed the air filter and see that the anti-tamper plug are not present on the mixture screw might consider try and bring the voltage down to 0.7 V or thereabt and see what happens...0.7V on warm idle right ? Also can get access to a Gas analyzer but has not been calibrated for years (use it to synch carbs on my old Alfa) so not really sure it will be measuring correctly....on the other hand could remove the O2 Sensor one at the time and replace it with the Wideband sensor connected to the Innovate reader and play with mixture till get abt 14/14.7 ?

3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Were there plugs covering the holes to the mixture screw? If not, that’s a huge vacuum leak.

4. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Nope no plug at all can go in with the hex key without removing anything

5. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    And BTW ...tried again to shorten the relays and running crap again...so wonder why this AM was running OK..ish and now crappy again.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Try a third relay? ;) Don't think that there could be anything wrong with the harness as the 30-to-87 jumper uses that, too. One difference is, that when you put the jumper in place, you are probably wiggle/moving the wires and relay terminals around a little (to new/different positions) so you might make sure that the wires are well-crimped into their female terminals of the relay socket with good electrical connections. Additionally, making sure that the female terminals in the relay socket are clean and tight on the male spades of the relay is no sin. If the jumper solves the problem, a working relay should solve the problem. I guess the good news is that you found where to focus your attention.

Correct (on the unplugged narrow-band O2 sensor wire relative to ground).

Any better instrumentation to measure the exhaust content is only a plus. I'd target something like 1.5~2% CO so I'll leave that as your internet homework to work out what that corresponds to in 14.X language.

(I typed this message before seeing your next two messages and will just leave it here as it could still be something like a bad crimp between a wire and a female terminal that is intermittent depending on flexing it around some.)

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #32 Steve Magnusson, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    Way, way bad! If you don't have the slotted cover screws in place and just have open holes = you'll definitely need to readjust and get something to plug the holes (like a rubber plug or something) -- and maybe readjust the throttle plates and/or air bypass screws. Of course, making the actual mixture adjustment requires having the hole open, but then you close it with a fingertip to then read the exhaust measurement.

An Fchatter in France indicated there was a shop making replacement slotted cover screws (but I neglected to record his/her username):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

There are also rubber plug things like this that could probably work (or be made to work):

See this post for the strategy of how the throttle plates and air bypass should be adjusted (when the mixture screw access holes are not wrongly open):
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148819203

See my comments about a bad crimp maybe causing this intermittent behavior in post #31.

(It's getting to the point that I should first ask: "OK, what horrible modifications, or hackery, have been done to your TR" before I respond to anything ;).)

8. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Yeep....just wonder myself. Am sorry to waste yr time Steve. Many, many tks again for your kind support.

9. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Plug those holes. Then redo the oxygen sensor readings again.

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No need to apologize -- I was just noting how it's changed over the years. When I got my TR in 2000, they were still new enough that very few had any serious modifications or had even been messed with at all. Not that way anymore ;). Plug those access holes!

11. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Have now set the idle as per port quoted above. Had to mess quite a bit with throttle position screw to get reaction on idle....Got 1050 RPM measured with strobo light and balanced plenum. Bypass open abt 3/4 to 1 turn. Will take readings on CO tomorrow and report further.

Tks so far
    Gianni

Veedub00 likes this.
  12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Gianni -- On a side issue, since you have the black box apart, could you please give the 10-digit Bosch part number shown on the barometric pressure sensors mounted to the back surface on the outside (or post a picture of their top surface). The Bosch 10-digit part number should be something like 0 280 101 XXX (if some slightly-confusing prior information that I have is correct). TIA.

13. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Good day Steve,

here we go Bosch number : 0 280 101 001

Now have worked on the 1/6. First of all the mixture screw is very, very sensitive, the slightest movement have a big impact on the voltage reading at O2 sensor.
    Secondly big difference if close the hole with my finger tip or leave it open. In actual fact, already with the hex key inserted or not have an impact whilst reading,

With hole close with finger tip

with open hole

Will try and tackle 7/12 in the afternoon.

14. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    As to slotted cover screw, have find out that air choke retainer screw on a Dellorto carb as used on Vespa Rollers do fit in terms of thread . Will check for length and air tightness later.

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #41 Steve Magnusson, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    Thanks very much. I had/have both 0 280 101 001 and 0 280 101 002 in my notes, and can't remember why -- if anyone knows the difference, or if there is a difference, please post. (Adding 0280101001 and 0280101002 for searching).
    My present guess (just a guess) would be:
    Bosch 0 280 101 001 = Ferrari 121738 (shown in the 1987 TR SPC for US and CH C7)
    Bosch 0 280 101 002 = Ferrari 134808 (shown in the 1990 TR SPC for US, CH C8, and CAT)
    and the change was something that Bosch did for themselves for manufacturing reasons, and they work the same.

Yes, it can be a real challenge to move the mixture screws as little as you need to move it and still actually move it. Also, definitely best to "exercise" the airflow plate mechanism motion a little after making an adjustment by gently revving the throttle a couple of times to make sure it all repeats when it returns to idle, and to make the final tiny adjustment going in the CW direction on the mixture screw as the TR WSM suggests.

Also, yes. It shows that the narrowband O2 sensors have a very steep slope in their response curve. Having the hole open also lets in unfiltered air -- bad! Do what you need to do to close them up, and the "fingertip test" should help you confirm that they are truly closed airtight.

16. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Good day Steve,

slowly getting there ...

As said no idea when the analyzer was calibrated last, so result to be taken with caution. Above translate to abt 0.81 V at O2 Sensor. With indicated lambda value of 0.972 , A/F Ratio should be 14.288. The CO2 is a bit low however the above result are taken b4 converter. Next step will be to try a smog test and see where am standing.

On a separate note, and since the mixture plugs have been missing for quite some time, can I spray some brake cleaner down in the holes ? Any harm to the Airflow meter by doing that ? Am thinking of using and O-ring between the head of the screw and the top of the hole, although given the temperature there....

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    0.8V on the unplugged O2 sensor at warm idle is OKish -- better than 0.9V ;)

Probably not, but I wouldn't. Unless you separate the airflow meter from the throttle body you really can't get any loose debris out of the bottom the airflow metering unit, and better to leave the debris there than forcing it thru the engine. If there's some oil blow-by residue in the funnels of the air flow metering flaps or on the moving airflow plates, OK to spray and/or wipe that out.

That would probably work. Many just use a screw with a larger head with a flat underside (clean up the top of the boss a little and use a flat gasket) and seal it at the top of the boss. This price is ridiculous, and on the wrong continent for you, but a Volvo or Porsche or Mercedes-Benz source (which all used Bosch CIS) might have a similar solution or even the stock screw:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/91111093401.htm?pn=911-110-934-01-OEM

18. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Yeep....at next major might consider separating the airflow meter from Throttle body and properly clean. Funnels and plates been cleaned already with brake cleaner and rag.

Yeep that was my other option also given that thread is a common M5. Incidentally, this AM with cold engine (but O2 disconnected) had NO fluctuating idle at all. Would like to believe that having properly set Idle B4 setting CO have cured it. Will try tom AM with cold engine and O2 connected.

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Unplugging the O2 sensors also forces the system to run in open-loop mode (just as putting ground on pin 16 of the injection ECU should do during cold-running) so you will have to retest cold-running with the O2 sensors plugged in. But nothing wrong at all with being in better adjustment. Even if the problem is resolved, you'll never know if it was the adjustment or if just getting in and rooting around to investigate wiggled things enough to fix a bad connection ;). If you still have cold-running trouble with the O2 sensors plugged in, it shouldn't take rocket science to determine why pin 16 isn't going ground when the water thermoswitch is closed and relay 27 actuated (if that's still the trouble).

20. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    HI Steve,

Started car cold with O2 sensor connected. Not an issue. Rock solid idle slightly below 1000 RPM. As a matter of a piece of mind will double check all the ground connection as long as have the car on the ramp.

Many, many thanks for your invaluable help on solving this issue on my TR. Do really appreciate.

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Very good! Glad that you got it sorted out. It's sort of sad how many TR get terribly molested, and a bit surprising that they still run ;).

plip likes this.
  22. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    So the real problem was no tamper proof plug?

23. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Hi Dennis. Not 100 pct sure. Am most inclined to think properly setting the idle as per workshop manual had a big influence on the fluctuating idle. Believe the missing plug had more to do with difficulties in passing emission test. Probably a combination of the 2 factors.

Today have no time but tomorrow will run an emission test at end pipe and see how it performs. Road test will have to wait till next spring when will get my number plate back.

EZORED likes this.
  24. bpcurtis

bpcurtis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Dickinson, TX
    Full Name:
    Burnell P Curtis
    Plip
    I have the exact same problem with my 87 TR. I have gone thru everything with all of the advice from the experts here. No success. I do want to give you a bit of caution. The mixture down in the cavity must be accessed by removing the cover screw (yours are missing) and then removing another screw. That screw is a small blade and one of mine is rounded out so I can not remove it. A hand impact wrench can not be used because of clearance with the deck lid. I could take the engine out (no, no no) or remove the lid, which I have not done because I do not think the cold idle is that bad. I did increase the air amount on both side and the problem is less now.
    So, be careful with that screw and I will be watching with great interest on your progress.
    Burnell
    Ps- could it be an air leak somewhere in the intake system that closes up when the metal gets warm?